49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

5 hours ago, burlow said:

Dont get me wrong, I like what Jimmy has been able to help our team do... I also know his shortcomings.  In no way do I want the team to move on from him because I do not like him, sure there are times that I get frustrated with him but who doesnt with any player on their team.  I want to start lance because he is the future, it has nothing to do with Jimmy, we invested in this teams future with 3 first round draft picks and that investment needs to develop or burn.  I do think that the future looks bright with Lance and if we miss the playoffs this year so be it, but we need to let that dog run.

I'm going to give you a little pushback on the bold but I agree with you overall 

We traded up for Lance because of Jimmy. 

Is he an NFL starter? Absolutely. Is he one of the top 10 QBs? No. Too many boneheaded plays unfortunately. The consistency is not there, play to play, game to game.  

If he was a top 10 QB, Kyle wouldn't have made the move and gave up the assets he did. We would have used those on other positions. We would have continued to stack the roster. Could have had Micah Parsons instead of Lance for example. Parsons and Bosa next to Warner... Holy hell. 

So while you are right, it's time to start lance because he is the future and he needs experience; Jimmy being Jimmy is why we drafted Lance. 

• Like 2

I wonder at what point Jimmy just takes a straight up paycut this year. Even just to get moved. We aren't going to eat a significant portion of his salary to move him, but at some point, even taking a paycut to like 12M is substantially greater than what he is going to earn if he's cut right before the season and signs somewhere else. 

9 hours ago, N4L said:

I'm going to give you a little pushback on the bold but I agree with you overall 

We traded up for Lance because of Jimmy. 

Is he an NFL starter? Absolutely. Is he one of the top 10 QBs? No. Too many boneheaded plays unfortunately. The consistency is not there, play to play, game to game.  

If he was a top 10 QB, Kyle wouldn't have made the move and gave up the assets he did. We would have used those on other positions. We would have continued to stack the roster. Could have had Micah Parsons instead of Lance for example. Parsons and Bosa next to Warner... Holy hell. 

So while you are right, it's time to start lance because he is the future and he needs experience; Jimmy being Jimmy is why we drafted Lance. 

With everything I’m seeing from everyone here, it seems you guys all feel exactly how Rams fans felt about Goff. He’s good enough to get you there but you can’t hand the offense over to him and ask you to win the game. He might go on a small run and put together some good games and make some unbelievable throws but then out of no where he does something ridiculous that kills you. The consistency with Goff is what killed us along with not being able to handle much pressure. At the end of the day Mcvay knew he needed a little bit more from the QB and made the move for stafford. Maybe that’s your Lance. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

With everything I’m seeing from everyone here, it seems you guys all feel exactly how Rams fans felt about Goff. He’s good enough to get you there but you can’t hand the offense over to him and ask you to win the game. He might go on a small run and put together some good games and make some unbelievable throws but then out of no where he does something ridiculous that kills you. The consistency with Goff is what killed us along with not being able to handle much pressure. At the end of the day Mcvay knew he needed a little bit more from the QB and made the move for stafford. Maybe that’s your Lance. 

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with this. Goff and Jimmy are similar in those regards. It's like being in QB purgatory, except in the penthouse suite of that grimy, dingy apartment building. 

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Yeah, you hit the nail on the head with this. Goff and Jimmy are similar in those regards. It's like being in QB purgatory, except in the penthouse suite of that grimy, dingy apartment building. 

I am not as well versed in Goff as Jimmy.  Jimmy will make mistakes and put the team in a hole, it just seems that after he does such a thing he comes back cold blooded.  I do not think he has ever had a stretch of poor games like he had this last postseason.  He does leave a good bit to be desired but he will normally end up putting a smile on your face.

Shanny can build a competent offense around him but for being as cold blooded after a mistake that he has been, he has seemed to go frustratingly incompetent at the worst times.  

He feels like a later stage Drew Brees that makes dumb mistakes at about 3 times the rate.

23 minutes ago, burlow said:

I am not as well versed in Goff as Jimmy.  Jimmy will make mistakes and put the team in a hole, it just seems that after he does such a thing he comes back cold blooded.  I do not think he has ever had a stretch of poor games like he had this last postseason.  He does leave a good bit to be desired but he will normally end up putting a smile on your face.

Shanny can build a competent offense around him but for being as cold blooded after a mistake that he has been, he has seemed to go frustratingly incompetent at the worst times.  

He feels like a later stage Drew Brees that makes dumb mistakes at about 3 times the rate.

Yeah, I do give Jimmy credit for his ability to mentally getting over turning the ball over and coming back to lead successful drives. 

I like Jimmy, I do. But he has limitations and we're scraping the ceiling of our offense. He's dependable and he's also not dependable at the same time. I give him a ton of credit for how he handled everything last year with Lance being there and the late-season injuries. He can lead men and battle adversity, which are not givens with QBs. 

With that said, I believe we have lightening in a bottle with Lance and it's time to see if it's real or not. I think we've seen peak Jimmy and can't expect to get more out of him moving forward. He is what he is - a physically limited QB with plus intangibles. 

• Like 2

ESPN's David Newton writes that the Jimmy Garoppolo "never has been high on the team radar because he's not considered much of an upgrade from [Sam] Darnold."

Well, that's certainly a take. Garoppolo and Baker Mayfield are the two main veteran options connected to Carolina, and the Panthers absolutely have the cap space to make it happen. But they have neither the draft resources (no second or third this year) nor, apparently, the inclination to believe in either of those quarterbacks. This will be the main quarterback drama for draft weekend assuming nothing unexpected pops up. 

Reading peter king's mock and something he said about Jordan Davis stuck out to me because it reminded me of the fact we watched the last snap DJ JONES has ever played in a 49er uniform 

The best thing I heard about Davis after his 4.78-second dash at the combine (at 341 pounds) was from one coach who thought Davis could play nose on first down and three-technique (the interior rush player) on second and third downs. That’s not common.

That was DJJ for us. A NT who is a slasher and can rush the passer. How many 330 lb guys can run down Kyler??

He was an uncommon interior defensive lineman and I would have absolutely made 3/30 fit into the roster somewhere. 

He was a huge loss that is getting lost in the absurdity of this offseason. 

Imagine if we had traded Jimmy to washington for what they traded for wentz. We could have paid DJJ and still had nearly 20 million to work with... instead theres a legit chance that deebo gets traded with jimmy on the roster. Just an all time fail by the organization if that happens, draft compensation be damned

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yeah, I think their statement yesterday about Jimmy being the same as Darnold was the two teams publicly negotiating. 

I think this is a deal that gets done on Saturday for a conditional future pick. I am fine with not getting anything for this year from Jimmy.

I would take a 2030 first round pick from a team for him. Kyle will still be here then. Would never happen but I wish teams would do things like that