49ers offseason 2022

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, hopefully even before that. Didn't Alex Smith's deal with Washington finalize even before the Super Bowl? 

It would be funny if it was Washington that did a similar deal for Jimmy lol.

Yes. Stafford's deal last season was done in January as well. 

• Like 1

Also wonder if Cordalle Patterson is someone we could possibly go after in FA. Similar to Deebo in the sense of receiver playing running back and he could return punts/kick offs. 🤔

Personally I think we will look for a nickel to replace Williams. Main focus for corner in FA. Like majority have been saying, I don’t think he comes back. Then another corner from the draft later on. Draft o-lineman (C/G) with the 2nd round pick pending what we get for Jimmy. 

3 minutes ago, StevenK said:

Also wonder if Cordalle Patterson is someone we could possibly go after in FA. Similar to Deebo in the sense of receiver playing running back and he could return punts/kick offs. 🤔

Personally I think we will look for a nickel to replace Williams. Main focus for corner in FA. Like majority have been saying, I don’t think he comes back. Then another corner from the draft later on. Draft o-lineman (C/G) with the 2nd round pick pending what we get for Jimmy. 

Lenior was drafted to replace Williams correct?

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I don't disagree with you. But if that's the case, then I can't see the Niners spending money on a starting corner like Hayward. I could see them taking a flyer on a cheap, scheme-specific corner to see if we can get some good depth, then also draft a corner as well.  

I think Heyward is a potential starter but his days as a unquestioned #1/2 CB are over. He's a vet signing that has the potential to start if you get in a jam due to injuries or lack of development. But he isn't at a price point that bringing him in means you have to start him. The future is the young guys like Thomas & Lenior and hopefully another Day 2 draft pick. But Heyward has the experience and versatility to play on the outside or in the slot if need be. If he's your nickelback and you're grooming Lenior for another year, he's virtually a starter anyway.

5 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I think Heyward is a potential starter but his days as a unquestioned #1/2 CB are over. He's a vet signing that has the potential to start if you get in a jam due to injuries or lack of development. But he isn't at a price point that bringing him in means you have to start him. The future is the young guys like Thomas & Lenior and hopefully another Day 2 draft pick. But Heyward has the experience and versatility to play on the outside or in the slot if need be. If he's your nickelback and you're grooming Lenior for another year, he's virtually a starter anyway.

Heyward was pro bowl caliber this year. He's going to be a starter where ever he signs at. 

34 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Heyward was pro bowl caliber this year. He's going to be a starter where ever he signs at. 

Yeah this is what I'm thinking. He was rated as one of the top zone coverage corners this year and will command starting money on short-term deal. I'd love to see if we could get him on like a 1-yr $4.5mil deal or something. He signed a 1-yr $2.5 last year with the Raiders, so I think something around $4mil could get him.

What will Allen Robinson's value look like? I think it would be smart to get another weapon on the outside.. we got lucky with Deebo's health this year but I don't love Jennings as the 3rd option if he goes down for any extended time

1 hour ago, adamq said:

What will Allen Robinson's value look like? I think it would be smart to get another weapon on the outside.. we got lucky with Deebo's health this year but I don't love Jennings as the 3rd option if he goes down for any extended time

As much as I like ARob, I can’t see the Niners spending that kind of money of a FA WR. Deebo will be getting a new contract that may reset the WR market, Aiyuk has pretty much solidified himself as our #2 WR In my opinion and we have Jennings as our WR3.

I don’t see ARob settling for less than 15m per year even coming off his down year and that’s too high of a price for a #2 or 3 given the other players we need to resign.

if we go WR, I hope it’s in the draft. Though, I do wonder if an Emmanuel Sanders could be brought back on the cheap

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

As much as I like ARob, I can’t see the Niners spending that kind of money of a FA WR. Deebo will be getting a new contract that may reset the WR market, Aiyuk has pretty much solidified himself as our #2 WR In my opinion and we have Jennings as our WR3.

I don’t see ARob settling for less than 15m per year even coming off his down year and that’s too high of a price for a #2 or 3 given the other players we need to resign.

if we go WR, I hope it’s in the draft. Though, I do wonder if an Emmanuel Sanders could be brought back on the cheap

Considering the year he just had I figured he could be gotten for 8-10M like Juju last year.. you're probably right that they are happy with Deebo/Aiyuk/Jennings though

1 minute ago, adamq said:

Considering the year he just had I figured he could be gotten for 8-10M like Juju last year.. you're probably right that they are happy with Deebo/Aiyuk/Jennings though

If we could get him for 8 million per year and his health obviously checks out, I would be all for it. He is amazing when healthy and I believe, according to his tweet, he is a fan of Shannahan.

we shall see

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adamq said:

I don’t think he’s realistic for us. With the niners being a run-first team and ARob being 3rd or 4th in line for targets on this team and him not being cheap, I just don’t see why he’d want to come to the niners.

Sadly, we missed the boat on him a the beginning of the Shanahan era. 

Really starting to wonder if the NINERS will actually give Hufanga a shot at starting safety next season since Tartt is a FA…

OR..

since Marcell Harris is a FA, I wonder if they would entertain moving Hufanga to the LB role?

let’s face it, Hufanga showed some flashes, but I don’t think he is what we need opposite Ward next season. If we let Tartt go, I think Safety jumps up in priority in this draft.

2 hours ago, P_locniners said:

Really starting to wonder if the NINERS will actually give Hufanga a shot at starting safety next season since Tartt is a FA…

OR..

since Marcell Harris is a FA, I wonder if they would entertain moving Hufanga to the LB role?

let’s face it, Hufanga showed some flashes, but I don’t think he is what we need opposite Ward next season. If we let Tartt go, I think Safety jumps up in priority in this draft.

I think safety is definitely at the top of the draft board if tartt goes. I'd love for Moore to finally make his presence known, but it's been so long that I'm not even sure how good he is anymore

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Also, the word "fired" seems exaggerated, in that his contract was expiring anyway. I don't know if coaches contract end with the league year like players do. 

This is a great point. It is possible his contract expired considering next year is year 6 of the Shanahan era. Kyle got a 6 year deal to start, but I doubt his entire staff did. 

Jed hasnt been one to shy away from spending money on coaches. Harbaugh had one of, if not the most expensive coaching staffs when he was here. Kyle is probably well compensated. It's hard for me to believe they simply tried to cut his salary by 60% without a subsequent loss of responsibility.

7 hours ago, P_locniners said:

As much as I like ARob, I can’t see the Niners spending that kind of money of a FA WR. 

I feel pretty good about our top 3 WRs. Jennings, deebo, aiyuk is a great trio. Especially when you count Kittle. 

I have said this before and I will say it again. The WR market was very cold last year. There is a TON of talent at WR in the NFL and there are some absurdly talented WRs coming up through the ranks. The market got flooded with FAs after a couple of drafts that were extremely deep at WR. Arob may not command 15m after the season he had, but I still dont see him signing here even if he doesnt. He would not get enough passes thrown his way to justify a shot term deal for him to hit FA again when the cap explodes soon. There are just other places he would fit better. 

We need a KR/PR who is a speedster. Someone in the mold of Dionte Harris in NO. I want an electric scat back type. Hopefully someone who has enough speed to go deep to help take the top off of defenses like 6-7 times a game. These guys can be found later in the draft. Maybe someone who can play in the slot a la Hunter Renfrow.

That would give us some nice depth at that position and someone who can make the occasional big play for us since he will be active on gamedays. 

2 hours ago, P_locniners said:

OR..

Marcell Harris is gone for sure. He is not very good. Doesnt tackle well enough to play LB. He does not move very well. I just dont see the point in bringing him back other than on the PS as a "break glass in case of emergency" type of guy. 

Imo Hufanga should be used the way he is already. I would like to keep him as a rotational third safety who comes on the field for three safety sets. He is a playmaker, but I am not sure he is ready to be relied on as a full time SS. He is not a full time LB.

You can find some small school/"veteran" LB to provide depth at LB. We have shown the ability to draft and develop LBs in the later rounds. This type of player should be able to play STs as well, so that helps. 

Ward is so good in the slot on third downs and in the box that we need to have S depth. We need 3-4 playable safeties imo. 

We may elect to pair Ward with another rangy, FS type. It doesnt have to be a SS type of player next to him because he is versatile. 

I dont think the market for Tartt will be robust, so he might be back. Its a damn shame that he will only ever be remembered as the guy who dropped that INT. To me, the worse play was letting Kupp get in the endzone while we were playing cover 2 earlier in the game. He didnt read the route early enough and wasnt fast enough to recover. At some point soon, we will need to move on because of his injury history. 

We may fill the safety spot with another veteran. We have had good success developing corners, but this regime has not really developed any safeties (yet). 

I am very interested to see how Tarvarious Moore looks in the preseason

• Like 1