2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

1 hour ago, paul-mac said:

They should wait until camp. If a starting QB on a contender blows his knee out we could see a Sam Bradford to the Vikings type trade.

If not, just keep him as the best backup in the league and then pocket a 3rd rounder when he walks next year. 

They won't keep him if only because they will need that money at some point (Deebo + Bosa extensions + rookie class), but they don't need it now. Waiting until he's healthy also allows them to avoid paying his injury guarantees. 

• Like 1

So question. What is the best option then?

If you Post June 1 cut him to save money, can't he be signed by another club now?

If you don't trade him for peanuts, do you want him as a lame duck QB in that building,  around Lance for OTA's? 

If you cut him to get him out of the building,  you get nothing. He wins in the above scenario suggested.

If you bring him back as the "backup" is that in the best interest for Lance and paying a backup QB that much? Or are they now "competing" in camp given everything that's transpired? JG still the starter, Trey sitting another year?

Edited by Nabbs4u

In theory Jimmy was a lame duck this year. He helped them to the NFCCG.

More lame duck please! He's not Baker. He won't cry. He will play when you need him for 21 starts or 3 starts. You can move him at the deadline (like 2017) or he can leave after the season.

If Indy or Carolina want to trade value for him then go for it.

30 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

So question. What is the best option then?

If you Post June 1 cut him to save money, can't he be signed by another club now?

If you don't trade him for peanuts, do you want him as a lame duck QB in that building,  around Lance for OTA's? 

If you cut him to get him out of the building,  you get nothing. He wins in the above scenario suggested.

If you bring him back as the "backup" is that in the best interest for Lance and paying a backup QB that much? Or are they now "competing" in camp given everything that's transpired? JG still the starter, Trey sitting another year?

Ever since the surgery was announced, I've been pretty steadfast in my belief on what would happen. Either A or C. 

A, the team lowers its trade compensation request to a point where its low enough that a team will make the trade despite missing OTAs / Minis / etc (so say a day 3 pick)

B, the 49ers don't lower their trade demand and someone meets it  (obviously unlikely, but still a possible scenario)

or C, the 49ers don't lower their trade demand, nobody bites and they keep him around until he's healthy, voiding the injury guarantees, and then cut him. Jimmy doesn't really "win" in that scenario. By that point, there may not be a spot for him and he no longer has the injury guarantee parachute from the 49ers. 

The June 1 cut isn't necessary. Once he's healthy, the 49ers basically cut him and get everything back (he only has like 2M dead money). 

He won't be around Mini's and OTAs even if on the roster because he won't be able to throw by then. So I can't imagine he'd be there in anything other than a mascot capacity. 

The backup scenario won't happen. He'd have to take a massive paycut and there's no reason for him to. There are also beat guys who think it's a terrible idea because of locker room division. There are people on the team who are very, very supportive of Jimmy. People love him. And if he's there, I think that there is a segment of people who believe that some within the locker room who believe that Jimmy should still be the starter, so you don't really want to that to be an issue. 

Bottom line is that the 49ers seem to have botched this situation. I can't say that for sure. Obviously none of us can say what's going on behind the scenes or anything, and may everyone is just way off here and there's actually some sort of back door deal in place that just hasn't been consummated, who knows. 

• Like 1

I like that deal because it does 2 things. It rewards the 49ers based on the impact of the asset they gave away and it also protects the team that gets him because a 2nd round on a playoff team can't be lower than 52nd overall. The only way you lose the 2nd round pick is if its a lesser 2nd round pick.

Just now, SkippyX said:

@Forge They could trade Jimmy to Carolina or Indy for a 4th rounder that becomes a 3rd at 80% of team snaps and a 2nd if also playoffs?

The only report on Carolina I've heard was recently and it said that they weren't that into Jimmy, but had checked in on him at the combine (which was when the surgery grenade was lobbed). With Darnold guaranteed 19M, I figured they made a lot of sense as a team to reset next year with a new coach. So roll with Darnold / Mariota or Darnold + rookie and figure it out again next year. 

I've also considered how the 49ers could take Darnold back in the deal and just sign him to an extension to restructure the 19M guaranteed salary this year. Darnold has to know that he's not getting a starter gig in 2023 if he ends up a back up for 2022 regardless and the 49ers had interest in him last year. He can basically sign a deal for this year and next year as a back up, the base is converted to signing bonus and he's probably freed by 2024 with maybe a chance to do the Trubisky thing. 

But who knows. Reports are wild. For a while there it was "significant" interest in Jimmy, but no movement. Maybe I'm just reading the entire situation incorrectly and a few teams really are in on him and there are offers going back and forth. Just doesn't feel that way.