2022 Player movement rumors (Free agency / Trades)

Forge

11 hours ago, Dr LBC said:

See, that's the problem.  I think they know what they need to do, they just don't know how to do it.  So they're throwing the proverbial brown stuff against the wall and seeing what sticks.  To me, the current new Bears regime feels like a bunch of guys trying to follow some sort of "How-To" guidebook (or "An Idiot's Guide to..." if you will) to changing culture.  And the thing with most of those guidebooks are they're great for presenting skeleton of steps to follow, but they never actually explain why you do it and when it comes to changing culture and establishing new paradigms, it's the why that's the most important thing to identify and know because that's what you're going to be selling to everyone else.

I'd contend that you had a pretty shoddy FA despite having a lot of money because all your staff could really sell was "we have a lot of money to spend."  Poles may well be able to succeed, but I would argue his best chance would have been with the rare kind of HC that's been there before and been part of strong winning cultures in the past.  Eberflus is a smart guy, but the best culture that he's come out of was Gary Pinkel's Missouri program.  The Garrett Cowboys teams weren't a strong winning culture.  The Mangini Browns definitely weren't that.  What the Bears needed at HC was a coach that, like I said, was rare; ideally someone like a Sean McDermott who had previously been with a strong winning culture in Philadelphia or, of who was available, maybe a Doug Pederson if they'd have acted quickly on the market.

Yes sir. This is why I've been preaching for years about the McCaskey's finally bringing in someone with experience who isn't on the tail-end of a 30 year stretch and is only looking to cash out at this point like John Fox. There has to be balance and that's something the Bears haven't tried since Lovie Smith --who helped build the Rams defense (which often gets overshadowed by the offense). 

Right now, we have an inexperienced GM who hired a inexperienced HC, who hired an inexperienced OC/play-caller (who comes from a successful organization but has never been an OC himself at the NFL level) to go along with alot of inexpereinced sub-coaches.  DC Alan Williams is the most experienced coach at his position and he is cut from a deep cloth, but that's not really saying much either IMO because of his history and because he's not even going to be calling plays. Eberflus is.

I know every coach has to start somewhere and I'm not saying it's going to be easy to find what's needed (because timing is important on these type of decisions) but something has to change because the definition of insanity and whatnot.

That said, Poles seems overwhelmed. No GM would ever outright say so but you can tell in his pressers and his responses that he is really feeling the pressure and it seems like it's much more involved than he initially thought (he keeps bringing up the fact that everyday is another challenge and it's something new, etc). So I hope he's really taking it all in and learn from it in year and that he grow to be better before it consumes him and he ends up lost like many other Gms do.

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just wait for the 49ers to cut him. The system isn't all that different, no reason to give up assets for him 

Depends on the asking price. If Cleveland just tries to wait them out and then a playoff team loses their QB, it becomes a bidding war.

However unlikely that is, it can happen.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Depends on the asking price. If Cleveland just tries to wait them out and then a playoff team loses their QB, it becomes a bidding war.

However unlikely that is, it can happen.

Fair. It wouldn't cost much to get it done either, so no harm in paying it

51 minutes ago, Forge said:

Just wait for the 49ers to cut him. The system isn't all that different, no reason to give up assets for him 

He won't sign with the Browns, hence them needing to trade for him. He'll be a Seahawk if cut. Why go to the Browns knowing at most you're a 1 year rental?? If anything JG should put it out there via "source" he has no desire to be a Brown. Nor should he.

17 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Saw the Patriots are open to moving Damien Harris.

It makes sense given he's approaching the end of his rookie deal and their depth (which took a small hit with the White announcement) but barring a big injury, I don't see many teams lining up to trade more than a day 3 pick for him (which is good value IMO for the team getting him).

1 hour ago, Nabbs4u said:

He won't sign with the Browns, hence them needing to trade for him. He'll be a Seahawk if cut. Why go to the Browns knowing at most you're a 1 year rental?? If anything JG should put it out there via "source" he has no desire to be a Brown. Nor should he.

The Browns have a pretty solid team around him, that's why he'd want to go. He can go to the Browns and play for his next contract. If he goes to the Seahawks, he's going to be picking grass out of his helmet all season before he gets hurt again. To me the Browns make the most sense if I was looking to make some money at QB next offseason. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

If Jimmy goes to Seattle he can air it out to Metcalf and Lockett all year and prove to people he can be that 4500+ 30+ QB. They won't win much but it probably gets him another gig. He'd also avoid a loaded AFC.

Sad thing is, it's only a 2 team race. The market for a potential starter is completely dried up.

Seattle and Cleveland 

Way more motivation to go to Seattle then the Browns IMO.

Familiar with the division 

Short travel time if he keeps his house in SF

Plays SF 2x

Potential starter for more then 1 season.

14 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Sad thing is, it's only a 2 team race. The market for a potential starter is completely dried up.

Seattle and Cleveland 

Way more motivation to go to Seattle then the Browns IMO.

Familiar with the division 

Short travel time if he keeps his house in SF

Plays SF 2x

Potential starter for more then 1 season.

If I were him I'm 100% taking Cleveland over Seattle every time. 

There's not reason for either team to give him a multi year deal. If I were him I'm expecting a single year deal no matter where I go and that is what I would be looking for anyway. Then put yourself back on the market next year when there were be quite a few more teams in the market for a quarterback. Cleveland,  that system (one he is pretty familiar with), that defense and that run game gives him the best opportunity to make himself look like a good buy next year. 

In seattle I still have no faith in the line, and while DK and Lockett are great, they don't exactly mesh well with Jimmy's skillset given he never throws deep. 

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Jimmy’s probably signing a one year deal no matter where he signs this season. Most teams are somewhat tighter to the cap right now, Jimmy’s going to be walking into a new program without much prep time, coming off surgery, etc. He’s not getting max value or contract length in 2022. Might as well go to a place where you can look good for a year and then cash out for 2023. At least in Cleveland you have pieces on the OL and some backs to help take some pressure off you. I wouldn’t be rushing to Seattle. 

• Like 1