The New Raider Staff Structure Thread

RaidersAreOne

9 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

After reading Some of the Brian Flores lawsuit I want nothing to do with that guy.  I wouldn’t want to interview him for even an assistant positional coach position.  Holy cow, the mans deranged.  I think the Giants should immediately hit him with a lawsuit back for defamation.

The NFL owners totally trust worthy.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Wouldn't be a huge fan of the Petzing hire... no OC experience, usually a recipe for disaster. However, he would mostly be a clipboard holder for McDaniels anyways... would be McDaniels scheme and McDaniels calling the plays. For guys like Shanahan, McVay, McDaniels, Gruden, Reid, etc, the OC is mostly just an offensive assistant role. 

You answered your own criticism. He wouldn't be calling plays. What he would do is bring knowledge of west coast offensive concepts he's studied under Stephanski and Kubiak. Concepts that fit the mold of what the Raiders offense has done well with under JG.

• Like 4

Since we know our new offensive and defensive schemes with the JMD and Graham announcements I tought it would be good to get to know these schemes.

On offense JMD brings the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system to Vegas. That is a scheme created by two Pats offensive assistants a while ago.

On defense Patrick Graham brings the Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4 defensive system to town, however his current scheme is a multiple one, which uses the original F-B 3-4 system only partially and he uses 4-3-4, 4-2-5 and even 3-3-5 formations. 

The E-P system was originaly a smash-mouth run first scheme, where the passing game was built on the running game with heavy use of play action passes. As the rules and the game evolved the E-P became much more pass heavy and the current Pats/JMD offense is a pass first offense. This offense is easy on the offensive guys (after they know the system) and hard on the defensive guys. It uses lots of formations and personel groupings. It can be pretty flexible and as we have seen from the Pats from week to week and also from year to year it can change a lot and attack differently. Think about the Moss-Welker era with 4 WR sets and then the Gronk-Hernandez era with double TE sets. 

The F-B defence is a two gap 3-4 system, which uses "over" and "under" a lot to match with the offense. Graham uses base a lot less obviously then Fairbanks and Bullough used, so nickel will be more important to us and since we have Crosby and Yannick I expect us to run 4-2-5 in nickel. Graham said in an interview that the scheme needs to reflect on the personel...
Graham had a hard time in NY, because that Giants had a pretty bad O all the time, but he still was able to put a respectable D on the field. He trully embrances the "bend, but do not break" style of D, since the Giants allowed more yards in 2021 then we did, but they were 9th in RZ defense. They were #2 in RZ defense in 2020!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Rolni said:

Since we know our new offensive and defensive schemes with the JMD and Graham announcements I tought it would be good to get to know these schemes.

On offense JMD brings the Erhardt-Perkins offensive system to Vegas. That is a scheme created by two Pats offensive assistants a while ago.

On defense Patrick Graham brings the Fairbanks-Bullough 3-4 defensive system to town, however his current scheme is a multiple one, which uses the original F-B 3-4 system only partially and he uses 4-3-4, 4-2-5 and even 3-3-5 formations. 

The E-P system was originaly a smash-mouth run first scheme, where the passing game was built on the running game with heavy use of play action passes. As the rules and the game evolved the E-P became much more pass heavy and the current Pats/JMD offense is a pass first offense. This offense is easy on the offensive guys (after they know the system) and hard on the defensive guys. It uses lots of formations and personel groupings. It can be pretty flexible and as we have seen from the Pats from week to week and also from year to year it can change a lot and attack differently. Think about the Moss-Welker era with 4 WR sets and then the Gronk-Hernandez era with double TE sets. 

The F-B defence is a two gap 3-4 system, which uses "over" and "under" a lot to match with the offense. Graham uses base a lot less obviously then Fairbanks and Bullough used, so nickel will be more important to us and since we have Crosby and Yannick I expect us to run 4-2-5 in nickel. Graham said in an interview that the scheme needs to reflect on the personel...
Graham had a hard time in NY, because that Giants had a pretty bad O all the time, but he still was able to put a respectable D on the field. He trully embrances the "bend, but do not break" style of D, since the Giants allowed more yards in 2021 then we did, but they were 9th in RZ defense. They were #2 in RZ defense in 2020!

Thank you for the write-up.  I will be completely honest, I never heard of him before the other day.  It seems as though most of the forum and media are inspired by this hiring, by osmosis, so am I.  It sounds like Graham is the right guy for this job.  The NFL is a passing league anymore and it looks like to me like using nickel is going to be the trend going forward.  34 or 43 matter much less in this day in age and in order to progress its important that we keep up with the times.  

• Like 3

The Offensive line coach hired is the second most important hire behind the DC. McDaniels has had a good offensive line with the Pats and a disciplined offensive line. Raiders had 3 OL in the top 10 in penalties in 2021. Two of those three wont be starters in 2022 but man its still bad. 

Simpson had 9 holding calls second most in the NFL

Leatherwood had 7 false starts most in the NFL 

Edited by agarcia34

we should look at the Saints coaching staff. They weren't fired based on performance, Sean Payton just retired. Kris Richard would be a great DB coach, or even bringing back Ronald Curry as a coach. Curry is a Raider and would be a favorite in the locker room. He could be a good OC since McDaniels going be calling the plays anyway. Be like the Chiefs OC

Edited by Humble_Beast

12 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

we should look at the Saints coaching staff. They weren't fired based on performance, Sean Payton just retired. Kris Richard would be a great DB coach, or even bringing back Ronald Curry as a coach. Curry is a Raider and would be a favorite in the locker room. He could be a good OC since McDaniels going be calling the plays anyway. Be like the Chiefs OC

Curry is coaching?

We are use to this team not adjusting right?

Funny. McDaniels and Graham are probably the only two minds in the game where you have no idea what you are going to get week to week. Graham might play 4-3 one week, 3-4 one week, or blitz heavy one week and no blitzing the next week. He’s always different and different looks. Also he may not call the same blitz from the prior week at all. His stuff is always a little different week to week, even the plays in specific. 

As for McDaniels, you may see a RB go 200 yards and 4 TDs one week or you may see Carr have 400 yards and 4 TDs. McDaniels heavily gameplans for teams weaknesses, but will also adjust in-game if it isn’t working. 

Leadership is a question mark til we see it, but we are getting world-class minds on both sides of the ball. 

Harbaugh would of been a great hire too, but is a run first offense going to compete with Mahomes, Herbert, and possibly Rodgers? Arguably all Top 5 QB’s in the NFL with Rodgers, Mahomes being alone in that Top 2 Tier of World-Class Elite. 

Fun time to be a fan.