Vikings Hire Kevin O’Connell as Head Coach

SemperFeist

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

I couldn’t care less if he’s the head coach or not. Sucks for Kwesi but I’m not enamored with hiring whoever knows McVay. 

Yes. That is the only reason he got the job. If he bails, we can still hire someone else who knows McVay. Since that is clearly the only reason we'd hire a coach. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

That sounds like O’Connell wants Phillips or Thomas as his OC depending on if McVay promotes the other. 

But if they could somehow grab both? Insane. 

It was kind of confusing, but my guess is that Brown would get promoted to OC with the Rams when O'Connell takes over as HC here depending upon whether he takes Phillips with him.  But, if he weren't taking Phillips then Phillips might get OC....

Jeremy Fowler. ESPN:

"O'Connell, 36, was considered the most impressive candidate from the first round of virtual interviews, and he kept up his momentum during the in-person interview. So, really, after the Jim Harbaugh theatrics, the Vikings search landed where it started. O'Connell's knowledge of the Vikings scheme, personnel and his overall presence impressed the team. He came across as well-prepared, with an answer for everything thrown their way. The Vikings wanted a young, up-and-coming coach. They feel that way about O'Connell, who has the right demeanor for the job."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kevin-oconnell-hire-head-coach-espn-grade

• Like 2

8 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Jeremy Fowler. ESPN:

"O'Connell, 36, was considered the most impressive candidate from the first round of virtual interviews, and he kept up his momentum during the in-person interview. So, really, after the Jim Harbaugh theatrics, the Vikings search landed where it started. O'Connell's knowledge of the Vikings scheme, personnel and his overall presence impressed the team. He came across as well-prepared, with an answer for everything thrown their way. The Vikings wanted a young, up-and-coming coach. They feel that way about O'Connell, who has the right demeanor for the job."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kevin-oconnell-hire-head-coach-espn-grade

He was the best guy for the job AND he comes from the McVay tree. Both statements can be true. 

• Like 1

Mark Wilf: "We are ecstatic to add Kevin as our head coach. He is a strong leader, an innovative coach and an excellent communicator. Kevin played the game at all levels, which gives him a unique connection to players, and he is highly respected throughout the league. Vikings fans should be excited for the future of this team under Kevin's direction."

Zygi Wilf: "Kevin is an impressive and respected leader who has been a part of some explosive offensive schemes. He has a tremendous football IQ and is passionate about preparing, developing and communicating with his players. Beyond the Xs and Os, everyone we spoke with throughout this search process spoke highly of Kevin's ability to motivate players, coaches and staff."

O'Connell: "I greatly appreciate the Wilf family, Kwesi and the entire Minnesota Vikings organization for providing the opportunity to be their next head coach. This is a franchise with a deep history and a tremendous fan base. Having been on the visitors' sideline at U.S. Bank Stadium and experiencing that environment as an opposing coach, I am excited to now have the support of these passionate Vikings fans. I am committed to working tirelessly to bring them a Super Bowl championship."

https://www.vikings.com/news/kevin-oconnell-head-coach-feature?fbclid=IwAR0-PP82TKr1iBS859a3tueZ7ZvjAZSTicb1CWghZP6-XoodujQPd449FKI

Edited by vike daddy