Vikings Hire Kevin O’Connell as Head Coach

SemperFeist

Harbaugh had a brief flirtation with the NFL, and after not being offered the Minnesota Vikings head coaching position when he flew there for an interview Feb. 2, Harbaugh returned to Michigan to coach his eighth season. 

The university and Harbaugh agreed to a contract extension that will keep him at his alma mater through 2026, the school announced Wednesday.

https://www.sfgate.com/luxuryhomes/article/Jim-Harbaugh-lists-Atherton-home-16925151.php?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral&fbclid=IwAR1Y6-CD8RgaCQU0LziRMsgE5e3QYAV3zgDyhBPFLA4-cSi75WJxBWtnhyo

5 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

Are we expecting more of a 1-gap or 2-gap philosophy?

As Semper mentioned, light boxes involve a gap and a half philosophy, but even if we base out of a 2-gap 34, your nickel isn’t a 2-gap front, it’s either 1 gap or gap and a half. 43 teams blitz structure is mimicking 34 teams these days with creeper and simulated pressures.  There’s so little difference because, as O’Connell mentioned, teams these days spend about 66% of offensive snaps in 11 personnel. The percentage of nickel is going to match (if not exceed that).

In 2020, NFL defenses were 60% nickel and 24% base, 15% dime, 1% goal line/heavy. 

• Like 1

This morning, I listened to his conversation with Barreiro from after the press conference yesterday...my biggest question that I took out of it is how he will handle a situation when a player goes rogue on him. I know it's all "millennial" to be collaborative with players and try and support them and convince them to go with the program, but what happens when a player doesn't fall into line with that type of thinking.  How will he handle that?  Because, whether we like it or not, it will happen.  

50 minutes ago, swede700 said:

But, are we no longer going to be able to "stuff the A-gap"?

Nope.  That's a nickel look for us, all it requires is having your two interior defensive line players in 3-techniques (or wider), and the two inside backers mugging the a-gaps.

I'd guess that we'd be more likely to see 5-0 Boss/Overload fronts for pass rush this year where you stack 3 defensive lineman to one side of the formation, and a single pass rusher (often your best) isolated on the opposite side with a linebacker lined up over the guard to hold them in the protection and not able to help right away on the Iso defender.

There will also be a lot of line movements from the 3 bigs on the same side (BOSS).  Fangio desciples aren't blitz heavy, they instead rely on line movements and perceived pressures (CREEPERS)

Edited by RpMc

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

This morning, I listened to his conversation with Barreiro from after the press conference yesterday...my biggest question that I took out of it is how he will handle a situation when a player goes rogue on him. I know it's all "millennial" to be collaborative with players and try and support them and convince them to go with the program, but what happens when a player doesn't fall into line with that type of thinking.  How will he handle that?  Because, whether we like it or not, it will happen.  

I just hope that collaboration doesn't become a4 letter word around these parts

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

I think this is where his leadership, and the developing of player leadership within the locker room come into play in big ways. 

If you have the overall player leadership buying into the plan, they tend to get the “rogue” players straightened out quickly. 

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

It's good leadership, not "millennial" to be collaborative with your employees.

• Like 1