Chances Brady Comes Back?

x0x

Chances Brady Un-Retires?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. What odds do you give to the GOAT pulling a Jordan?

• 100% he comes back, either 2023 or 2024.
    • 50% chance, depends on circumstances
    • 0% chance, he's done for good on the field

49ers make a lot of sense especially practically anyone who was around in that organization for the 2000 draft is now gone. Like LeBron, Brady might want to win with a 3rd team as another untouchable marker and in the state of California where his parents live. Then there's the logistics of the team being good enough to win and a weakness at the QB spot, not to mention being currently occupied by heir apparent. Can't make this up.

• Like 1

Brady situation: This is the most interesting QB situation, from my perspective. A month ago, when word was circulating through league channels that Brady was considering retirement, some close to the situation indicated the quarterback had grown frustrated with some of the Buccaneers’ coaching. Brady retired, then suggested he would keep open the door for a possible return, in a “never say never” framing.

It’s well-established Brady long hoped to play for the San Francisco 49ers. He rooted for them as a child. It is certainly plausible to think Brady could be content in retirement unless there were a seamless way for him to play one final season with his favorite childhood team, which lost the NFC Championship Game partly because Garoppolo struggled in the late going. For Brady, retiring makes it possible for a trade to materialize more organically.

Brady might not have been willing to force a trade from the Buccaneers to the 49ers, which could have gotten messy and affected his legacy in a negative way, while straining relationships in Tampa that he surely values very much.

By retiring, Brady has gracefully told the Buccaneers he will not play for them again. Tampa Bay has less reason to play hardball with Brady when there’s no chance he will play for them. By leaving open the door to play again, Brady is in position to accept a trade if one can be worked out. He never has to be the bad guy. He doesn’t really have to do anything.

-Mike Sando of The Athletic

I think Lance will be ready to start week 1 2022, but having the GOAT for 1 last year would be very tempting...

We may have made this thread too early. More and more reports coming out how Brady was unhappy with TB. At first I brushed it off but it’s basically a new report almost every day. 

I still don’t think he’s coming back, but if a Super Bowl Contender really really wanted him (like the 49ers or Colts) and the Bucs were willing to trade him for peanuts out of respect to Brady, then I do think Brady might entertain it. 

Could he go another two seasons though? I don’t know. One wouldn’t be worth it to move his family again. 

Edited by BayRaider

I just don't see any available mechanism to get him to SF. 

The 49ers would have to reverse course on the thinking that prompted them to pass on him in free agency 2 years ago, AFTER having spent 3 first round picks to trade up for Lance. It would be malpractice on the part of Lynch and Shanahan to do that. They'd look foolish. And that's even if they could agree to a compensation package, which I very much doubt because, well, no first round picks for the next 2 years.

The Bucs are still looking to remain a contender. Trading him to a fellow NFC contender would be an equally bad move, even if there is zero chance Brady will come back to play for them. 

The only one who would actually benefit from this arrangement, hypothetically, is Brady. But who even knows if he would want to go through the trouble of acquainting himself with another new playbook and group of receivers again, at age 45? To say nothing of what his family would say about it. 

14 minutes ago, Apparition said:

I just don't see any available mechanism to get him to SF. 

It is actually quite simple on Brady's side. 

He simply needs to ask for his release and to be designated a post june 1 cut. 

He cant retire officially until 6/2 for cap reasons for Tampa. He cant be traded until that time for the same reason. 

The 49ers arent going to wait until June to bring him in, barring an injury to Lance, they are going to want him in the building prior to FA (if they make the move at all, which is a slightly different conversation)

So, IF Brady wants to get on the 49ers, he needs to ask Tampa to release him. He is the most accomplished QB of all time, the best Tampa QB in history BY FAR, and they are still riding high from the superbowl that he had a major part in helping them win.

If Brady goes to ownership and says "Thanks, its been a blast, you guys are great, but I would like to move on and finish my career elsewhere" are the bucs really going to say "nah, retire or play for us, we arent going to release you"?? Are they really going to play hardball with him? 

Dont take this as me advocating for Brady lol 

3 minutes ago, N4L said:

It is actually quite simple on Brady's side. 

He simply needs to ask for his release and to be designated a post june 1 cut. 

He cant retire officially until 6/2 for cap reasons for Tampa. He cant be traded until that time for the same reason. 

The 49ers arent going to wait until June to bring him in, barring an injury to Lance, they are going to want him in the building prior to FA (if they make the move at all, which is a slightly different conversation)

So, IF Brady wants to get on the 49ers, he needs to ask Tampa to release him. He is the most accomplished QB of all time, the best Tampa QB in history BY FAR, and they are still riding high from the superbowl that he had a major part in helping them win.

If Brady goes to ownership and says "Thanks, its been a blast, you guys are great, but I would like to move on and finish my career elsewhere" are the bucs really going to say "nah, retire or play for us, we arent going to release you"?? Are they really going to play hardball with him? 

Dont take this as me advocating for Brady lol 

I think they'll play hardball if releasing him means him going to an NFC team that they would have to compete against. They're going to want to be compensated somehow, at any rate, and I just don't see Licht as being so blinded by the fact that it's Tom Brady that he would make such a poor business decision as a favor to him. 

3 hours ago, Apparition said:

I think they'll play hardball if releasing him means him going to an NFC team that they would have to compete against. They're going to want to be compensated somehow, at any rate, and I just don't see Licht as being so blinded by the fact that it's Tom Brady that he would make such a poor business decision as a favor to him. 

I understand this position, but ultimately Brady is petty enough that pissing him off is not a sensible course of action.

For instance, Brady could very easily file his retirement papers on May 31st. This would cost Tampa some cap space this season, and they are already very tight against the cap. They need him to cooperate on this front. They have no control over when he files that paperwork. He has not done it thus far, as far as they are concerned, as a favor to them. 

I think it comes down to respect. It sends a bad message to the team and the guys in the locker room. It would sour the relationship and potentially divide the locker room, even if he doesn't play another down in the NFL. 

It is a bit like two superpowers with nukes. Yes, both sides have the ability to kill the other, but isnt the sensible course of action to just let him walk away on his own terms? We are talking about the most accomplished player in NFL history, why fight this needless battle? 

Again - I am providing no additional commentary to whether or not this actually happens other than to say the only way it does is if Brady is able to coax Tampa into releasing him. 

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2022 at 7:48 PM, lancerman said:

Logically should be 0. But I've Jordan come back when he shouldn't have. 

The big thing is that since he essentially still went out at a high level, there's always going to be that "what if". He's not one of those guys that declined past the expiration point and knows he's washed. I could see a year or two from now him feeling great and thinking "hmm my kids are a bit older and starting to do their own thing, I can come back and see what I can do for a year or so". 

Especially as others said, if some team is a contender and a QB goes down mid season or early in the season and Brady thinks he can make a run with them. 

I put it at about 10%. I mean Favre was totally washed when he left and we still had multiple years of "will he/won't he" before people finally accepted way too much time passed and he wouldn't even get a real shot. But let's be real, say the Rams retain this team next year and all of a sudden Stafford goes down. Brady bringing his family to LA for a year and taking over a newer franchise to give it a boost and win with a team that is loaded to the gills and storyline wise would be him winning with a team he beat twice.... I could see that being an interesting quest for him.

I’m going to congratulate myself on not totally dismissing it. 

On 2/21/2022 at 4:25 PM, ET80 said:

I still think it’s a no, even with new reports. I think Giselle and family will put their foot down on any more football…

Swing and a miss…

• Like 2