Alvin Kamara Arrested on Battery Charge

bigbadbuff

5 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

This angers me. Are you telling me that they'd let someone go to work and turn themselves in afterwards in a felony battery case if they weren't a celebrity? That ain't right.

I don’t know about about games or athletes, but it’s not uncommon for a detective to call a wanted offender and schedule a time for them to turn themselves in.

32 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t know about about games or athletes, but it’s not uncommon for a detective to call a wanted offender and schedule a time for them to turn themselves in.

For missing a court appt or something, yes.  Not so much for a violent offense. 

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

For missing a court appt or something, yes.  Not so much for a violent offense. 

It literally just happened?

I can’t speak for Vegas. I work in the field and can tell you with certainty that yes, calling someone to turn themselves in/set up a time for them to do so, isn’t uncommon at all. Even for violent crimes.

1 hour ago, kingseanjohn said:

In general, I agree. I actually don't mind it for lesser offenses. But for felony battery?

Largely dependent on size of the department and resources. Other than that, it mostly depends on the person’s alleged crime and their history (if they have any). 
a known gang member with 80+ arrests, no, probably won’t bother trying to get them to turn themselves in. Ditto with someone who’s wanted for an extremely serious offense. 

I imagine it’s even more common for celebrities/more notorious cases. Not exactly like Kamara is going to flee and hide. That’s my speculation, though. I’ve never been a part of a case involving a celebrity.

Edited by Yin-Yang

12 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

It literally just happened?

I can’t speak for Vegas. I work in the field and can tell you with certainty that yes, calling someone to turn themselves in/set up a time for them to do so, isn’t uncommon at all. Even for violent crimes.

Largely dependent on size of the department and resources. Other than that, it mostly depends on the person’s alleged crime and their history (if they have any). 
a known gang member with 80+ arrests, no, probably won’t bother trying to get them to turn themselves in. Ditto with someone who’s wanted for an extremely serious offense. 

I imagine it’s even more common for celebrities/more notorious cases. Not exactly like Kamara is going to flee and hide. That’s my speculation, though. I’ve never been a part of a case involving a celebrity.

I'm an attorney and I've seen it for certain things like missing a court appt.  Or they call the defendant and tell them to turn themselves in.  Not usually a 'hey, whenever is convenient for you'.

Then again, I dont do a ton of criminal stuff and haven't had a case involving a celebrity either, so I might just not have seen it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm an attorney and I've seen it for certain things like missing a court appt.  Or they call the defendant and tell them to turn themselves in.  Not usually a 'hey, whenever is convenient for you'.

Then again, I dont do a ton of criminal stuff and haven't had a case involving a celebrity either, so I might just not have seen it.

If someone is being cooperative, I can see it. Vegas PD is probably busy and not in the mood for a show, so trying to avoid unnecessary media attention is probably commonplace. 

Arresting the guy prior to the Pro Bowl wouldn't almost certainly garnered unwanted attention. The optics aren't great, given it was a violent crime, but I can see the rationale behind it for sure. 

In fairness to the department, they knew with near certainty that Kamara would be at the game, so his whereabouts weren't unknown/untraceable. If that were likely to be the case, I bet they wouldn't have extended the courtesy. Chances are someone was at the game under orders to monitor his movements too. I can't verify that, just a hunch. 

7 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

100% no experience working a case involving a celebrity. 

And yeah, we start with that. Let’s now draw this out, let’s get it over with, do it on your own terms, yadda yadda yadda. Majority of the time, they know the game, they tell us they’ll come in on x date and time. Or tell us to suck it, that’s way more common. 

Plenty of occasions where we won’t do that for any number of reasons, but definitely not an uncommon practice, even for violent offenders. Sometimes it’s actually preferred, because going to their home for an apprehension attempt is more dangerous for everyone involved than anything else.

52 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

If someone is being cooperative, I can see it. Vegas PD is probably busy and not in the mood for a show, so trying to avoid unnecessary media attention is probably commonplace. 

Arresting the guy prior to the Pro Bowl wouldn't almost certainly garnered unwanted attention. The optics aren't great, given it was a violent crime, but I can see the rationale behind it for sure. 

In fairness to the department, they knew with near certainty that Kamara would be at the game, so his whereabouts weren't unknown/untraceable. If that were likely to be the case, I bet they wouldn't have extended the courtesy. Chances are someone was at the game under orders to monitor his movements too. I can't verify that, just a hunch. 

So, the only times I've seen it done is when they don't know where the defendant will be.  Thats the big difference for me.

49 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

100% no experience working a case involving a celebrity. 

And yeah, we start with that. Let’s now draw this out, let’s get it over with, do it on your own terms, yadda yadda yadda. Majority of the time, they know the game, they tell us they’ll come in on x date and time. Or tell us to suck it, that’s way more common. 

Plenty of occasions where we won’t do that for any number of reasons, but definitely not an uncommon practice, even for violent offenders. Sometimes it’s actually preferred, because going to their home for an apprehension attempt is more dangerous for everyone involved than anything else.

So, in my experience, them coming in on their own is always preferred.  We usually say to come in right away or asap.  

But all those cases were as much about not wanting to use man power to search out someone.  

20 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

But all those cases were as much about not wanting to use man power to search out someone.  

Yeah, we don’t have the man power or the hours to sniff out every person that’s wanted here, lol. Stuff says open for a fair bit sometimes before an encounter.

• Like 1

The cops did not have an arrest warrant at the time before the game, they were looking to speak to him. Everyone is focused on the cops, but no one is mentioning that the league was aware there was an issue and still let him play in the game. Seems to be a bigger deal to me.

On 2/7/2022 at 3:44 AM, Forge said:

It's taking away accountability from players. There's nothing in Vegas that's not available in new Orleans or Miami. He beat the crap out of someone. Why is that special to Vegas? 

Kamara is not an angel. Color me shocked if the dude who was once arrested for shooting BB guns at people for no reason just got in trouble for beating someone up. 

Where are the VGK problems?

wait, this is how it's done right...

Slam Dunk Basketball GIF by NBA