CW21's Green Bay Packers Mock Offseason v2022.01

CWood21

Just now, Packerraymond said:

You mean Tonyan? Dulcich is a move TE. 

Yes, I meant BBT. Thinking more about it, I could actually see him replace Lazard's spot in the offense. Similar size and athleticism. He's a former WR after all. So Kolar is still highly intriguing, yes. Would expect we'd have interest in Jeremy Ruckert as well IRT our in-line future TE.

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Yes, I meant BBT. Thinking more about it, I could actually see him replace Lazard's spot in the offense. Similar size and athleticism. He's a former WR after all. So Kolar is still highly intriguing, yes. Would expect we'd have interest in Jeremy Ruckert as well IRT our in-line future TE.

Dulcich is definitely a guy I will watch if they don't want to use a premium pick on a McBride or Likely. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Assuming my math is correct, Preston Smith is going from 1 year, $19.7M deal to a new 3 year, $37.75M deal.  In terms of actual cap flow, he's set to get $12.47M this year on his previous deal, but his new deal gets $13.35M this year.  It effectively turns his base salary and roster bonus into a lower base salary, but a sizeable signing bonus.  That's $13M in base salary and other bonuses in 2023, and only $10.65M in 2024.  You could always bump up the back end of the contract a few more million, but I think it's in the market.

So Preston Smith is set to get on his current deal for 2022  $11.82M

• $8.35M in base
  • $3.47M in roster bonus

your contract gives him $13.35M in 2022 with no guaranteed money beyond that while locking him in for 2 years.   I just don't see the $1.5M ($11.82 up to $13.25) being enough incentive to bypass a chance to become a UFA in 2023 when the salary cap is set to jump up.

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Structured pretty similarly to Jordan Poyer and Micah Hyde.  He's got 1 year, $7.9M left on his contract and he's receiving a 3 year, $27.5M deal with a $10M signing bonus.  His actual cap flow would be $12M in 2022, so he'd actually be getting a pretty sizeable pay bump.  This deal effectively adds an extra 2 years at that second tier safety market value.

Amos is set to get $7.9M.  similar to Preston, is the $6M in added guaranteed enough to bypass becoming a UFA in 2023

I just feel like both those players would have leverage to get more in guarantees on an extension.

Thanks for the time and effort put into this. I'd love to do a mock, but wouldn't have nearly the time to dive into the financials like you, so appreciate that part of it. 

Does anyone else think Travon Walker is going to long gone by pick 28?

R. Douglass I hope comes back. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, squire12 said:

I just feel like both those players would have leverage to get more in guarantees on an extension.

Sure, they both could chase for more money a year from now, but a pretty much market value contract with long-term stability seems like the prudent move.

On 2/17/2022 at 5:18 AM, Outpost31 said:

If Aaron Rodgers comes back and the Packers do not go all out to bring in a free agent WR or tight end and they sit tight with their original three draft picks instead of using everything they can to move up in the draft as far as they can...

It will be the single dumbest decision in Green Bay Packer history.

If every single player on our end-of-year roster came back and played and was healthy all year and the Packers only added draft picks, they would not win a Super Bowl.

If Rodgers comes back and they use their 1st and 2nd on a Edge and a CB, he may not show up for training camp lol.

God.  This is why I hate this forum.  Here I am totally non interested in the Packers anymore after this latest playoff debacle.

Then @CWood21 posts this and I'm intrigued enough to read.  And just like that I'm being pulled back in.

Seriously, though, there was a lot of time and effort put into this post.  More than I see from paid "professionals".  It was excellently done.  Nice job, Cwood!

• Like 4

I realize my opinion in here is possibly confusing, so I will clarify.

If we bring Rodgers back, we need him fully committed. I believe subconsciously he believed his receiving options would fail against the Niners, and his perception became reality because he wouldn’t throw to them.

If we bring Rodgers back, Rodgers has to believe he can win.

We just did defense with Rodgers. 6 points. Our defense allowed 6 points.

We’re not getting a Super Bowl win by investing in defense with Rodgers. We have to invest in weapons for Rodgers so Rodgers is committed and just hope our defense clicks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So we can draft a WR high for Rodgers to ignore because he doesn't throw to rookies?

That’s bad reference. He throw to adams and cobb during their rookie years.

You provide him with scrubs and asking him to throw wont help. So for once provide him help. Please go with all playmakers draft. Enough of drafting D years over years and felling short because of O.

When D was the problem you fixed D. Fix O now. 

• Like 1