CW21's Green Bay Packers Mock Offseason v2022.01

CWood21

The counter-argument to high-pick WRs is that if you pay your QB megabucks, AND you have a WR who is certainly in the top 3in the NFL, he should be able to make the lesser receivers look good. Bunched receiver formations, back-shoulder throws, rub routes (you have to execute them well enough not to have a penalty called on you) and an imaginative scheme where you run several different things from the same look, can all help make it easier for receivers who are not top 5 guys.

It is also true that picking at the bottom of the round year after year makes it tougher to get one of the top 4-5 WRs in any year.

I do find it interesting that the Packers have spent a first round pick on a DB in six of the last nine years. They have obviously valued DBs very highly, whether it is late-career TT, or Gute.

Despite what I said in the first para, you'll get no argument from me that the Packers need a no.1 type receiver if Adams is gone (and if Love is the main QB, the need is even greater).

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

3 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I realize my opinion in here is possibly confusing, so I will clarify.

If we bring Rodgers back, we need him fully committed. I believe subconsciously he believed his receiving options would fail against the Niners, and his perception became reality because he wouldn’t throw to them.

If we bring Rodgers back, Rodgers has to believe he can win.

We just did defense with Rodgers. 6 points. Our defense allowed 6 points.

We’re not getting a Super Bowl win by investing in defense with Rodgers. We have to invest in weapons for Rodgers so Rodgers is committed and just hope our defense clicks.

Exactly…

Rodgers is not a game manager kind of guy. If he is going down, he makes sure team goes down as well .. irrespective of how well your D plays… In other words GB can’t overcome a down game from Arod. Simple. 

Give him the weapons and hope the defense clicks..

Edited by Jaire_Island

6 hours ago, Jaire_Island said:

That’s bad reference. He throw to adams and cobb during their rookie years.

You provide him with scrubs and asking him to throw wont help. So for once provide him help. Please go with all playmakers draft. Enough of drafting D years over years and felling short because of O.

When D was the problem you fixed D. Fix O now. 

This.

When we drafted WR relatively early Rodgers through to them.

Since then, we have drafted late rounders and undrafted guys. These players are late rounders for a reason which is usually they are very raw and not NFL ready. Rodgers doesn't like throwing to players who don't know what they are doing which to an extent is reasonable. 

Second round is probably the sweet spot.  Completely get the 'don't draft in round 1' as you need the premiums. Round 2 and 3, you should be able to get the guys who know what they are doing. Looks like we missed with A. Rodgers.  

9 hours ago, Jaire_Island said:

Exactly…

Rodgers is not a game manager kind of guy. If he is going down, he makes sure team goes down as well .. irrespective of how well your D plays… In other words GB can’t overcome a down game from Arod. Simple. 

Give him the weapons and hope the defense clicks..

Hmmm I think rodgers is exactly a game manager at this point. Dont turn the ball over (not so muc as even take a chance) and take what the defense gives you. 

Love the Mock and the effort put into it CWood. 

Im in the mindset that you dont need to be great at every position group but have team strengths that will better any other teams. We're in an offense now that doesn't soley rely on people getting wide open. 

I love the 1st rounder. Lets keep investing in the pass rush and dline. I would like to see Mercilus re-sign to go with Preston and Gary. Grab someone in the first that can stop the run and add pressure. The backend will only benefit and is plenty deep. 

I would love to see an OT taken in the 2nd instead of a DB. Our offense if going to be successful no matter what if we can open up the run game and keep teams from getting pressure with four. I think in back to back years we didnt lose because lack of WR depth but lack of depth at tackle.

A great Oline and Dline (with pass rush) coupled with Rodgers is the recipe that will win us another.

3 hours ago, Skippy said:

I think he is already. I hope Wynn falters a little at the combine and slides to us. Good DT and a position we could use a upgrade at. 

Wyatt turns 24 at the end of the next month.  The Packers usually don't draft older prospects early.

14 hours ago, Kenrik said:

Hmmm I think rodgers is exactly a game manager at this point. Dont turn the ball over (not so muc as even take a chance) and take what the defense gives you. 

Calling Aaron Rodgers a game manager is way off.  If you go back and look at the last two seasons in which Rodgers played without Davante Adams, you'll see the targets split up as such:

San Francisco (2021): Davante Adams (11), Aaron Jones (10), Dominique Dafney (2)
Arizona (2021): Aaron Jones (11), Juwann Winfree (6), Randall Cobb (5), Robert Tonyan (4), Amari Rodgers (3), ESB (3), Josiah Deguara (2)
New Orleans (2020): Allen Lazard (8), Robert Tonyan (5), Aaron Jones (4), MVS (4), Jace Sternberger (4), Tyler Ervin (2), Marcedes Lewis (2)
Atlanta (2020): Jamaal Williams (8), MVS (8), Robert Tonyan (6), Aaron Jones (5), Darrius Shepherd (3), Tyler Ervin (2)

I put the San Francisco game up for comparison.  Aaron Rodgers is MUCH better about spreading the ball around when he's forced to.  But he has a really bad habit of locking onto Davante Adams, and for good reason.  But I'm not sure how anyone could come away watching that SF game and say the offenses' issues weren't directly tied to the fact that the defense knew the ball was only going to go to Aaron Jones or Davante Adams.

46 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The NCAA doesn't usually grant every athlete, regardless of sport, an extra year of eligibility. This is going to be a lot more normal over the new few years.

To add to this, I think there are positions that an older player isn't really a negative.  You want your DBs or RBs to be younger because there will be more years of full speed and less wear.  But for a DL and OL, being 30 isn't the end of the world.  Come time for the second contract, if he is worth it, a 24 year old will be 28 or 29 and will probably be winding his career down at the end of that second contract.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

The NCAA doesn't usually grant every athlete, regardless of sport, an extra year of eligibility. This is going to be a lot more normal over the new few years.

And that's probably so, but you look back at Green Bay's track record and they seem to cap players off at 22 years of age.  I don't recall the last 23+ year old that the Packers have drafted in the first round.  Whether that's intentional or by coincidence remains to be seen, but it's certainly something worth noting.  Are we sure this isn't the John McCargo effect?

On 2/18/2022 at 9:19 PM, Outpost31 said:

I realize my opinion in here is possibly confusing, so I will clarify.

If we bring Rodgers back, we need him fully committed. I believe subconsciously he believed his receiving options would fail against the Niners, and his perception became reality because he wouldn’t throw to them.

If we bring Rodgers back, Rodgers has to believe he can win.

We just did defense with Rodgers. 6 points. Our defense allowed 6 points.

We’re not getting a Super Bowl win by investing in defense with Rodgers. We have to invest in weapons for Rodgers so Rodgers is committed and just hope our defense clicks.

You don't think he was totally committed this past season?