Should we pay Harold Landry?

KingTitan

The problem I have with that breakdown, is that it makes it seem like anyone could get those sacks.  We run the same things with other players and past players and they can't execute it like he can.
Oly isn't getting those sacks.
Roberson isn't getting those sacks.
Beasley sho nuff didn't get those sacks. 

We aren't the first team in the history the league to use stunts. Not just anyone can get to the QB.  

Yes you pay Landry. I don't care about "clean up sacks," "unblocked sacks," "hustle sacks."
He gets to the QB. He pressures the QB. He plays the run. He plays in zone.  

Pay him. It ain't ya'll money. lol

• Like 3

I do think it's a fair question, and I'm in the camp of paying him. Granted, I'm all about stockpiling front-4 talent. you can truly never have enough.

But I do think Landry - while a fantastic all-around player and DURABLE AF - certainly benefitted greatly from playing next to Simmons/Autry/Dupree (but who wouldn't?). I don't recall him having much of an impact once Bud got hurt, but could be mistaken.

My biggest fear is just losing the momentum we have on our front 4. We just need to continue getting better and better and more dominant there, by any means necessary.

I’m with you KT. Pay the damn man. People act like you can just find good pass-rushers all over the place. Well this franchise has struggled since honestly the days of KVB who was a FA signing. Orakpo was solid but on his last stint of his career. Morgan was ok. Landry is the best edge rusher IMO since KVB. I think he’s just as good as Bud. People use the line that the pass-rush took a hit when Bud wasn’t on the field. I agree and that’s mainly because we had to use Autry on the edge more and bring in the likes of Ola and Roberson. Our depth sucks and I like Ola as a SPT guy and like a 5th EDGE rusher. He’s a hell of a lot better than Roberson. It would’ve been nice to see Weaver play this past season to get a gauge on him and see how good he is.  I do think he can be a solid player but he damn sure doesn’t have the athleticism of Landry. I’m all about keeping this front 4 together for as long as possible. Resign Landry and draft an edge guy in the middle rounds again(preferably one with some speed to his game). Having that guy plus Weaver as primary backups would be real nice. Our interior depth is real good assuming we resign guys like Peko, Tart, and Jones.

Edited by ttitansfan4life

If he truly is in the thinking that he wants to be the highest paid in the room, which would lead him to being paid at least 17 a season. I don't know about that. We invested in Dupree last year. And also Autry. The way we handled the RT situation and the TE room. I just don't see the money going there. I think we tag and trade or let him walk.

I just don't see him coming at a discount for us, and rightfully so, he has earned it.  Youngest, healthiest, contributing edge in free agency.

Should we pay him. It is hard. He has been solid for us but I don't know if its worth that much. I would lean on the side of saying I wouldn't want to pay him. I think Simmons is so special that he will continue to ascend and make players around him better. I also really liked what I saw from Weaver in the preseason last year. I feel like we trust that, that may pan out and get a vet like a Melvin Ingram, or whoever on an Autry like deal.

Trust that Simmons, Dupree, Autry, and X can keep it up. Jones and Tart will hopefully continue to grow and contribute.

I would rather take some of that money and invest it in other places. 

If we're talking 17 million a year, I say no.  Too much money for someone who only broke out in a contract year.

That amount means probably making the cuts we think are inevitable, but also not being able to make any splash signings in free agency.  I mean, with cutting Saffold, Jenkins, Lamm, and Kern, we would still need restructures on a couple contracts just to get Landry and Jones re-signed and AJ extended.

• Like 1

I say pay him

We cant always jump into the free agent market and throw the big money at the biggest names

You have to take care of your home grown talent sometimes and I think Landry deserves it

We were so fortunate to even get Landry in the 2nd round when so many people had him with a first round grade

We traded up for Evans that year and we arent going to bring him back

I hope we find a way to get it done

JRob has done pretty fair deals to the guys we have extended in Lewan Henry and Tannehill so im sure JRob can get this done

20 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I’m going to feel some type of way if end up only signing two guys longterm from our 2016-2018 draft classes that were selected in the first 3 rounds (Henry and Byard).

It’d especially be a bad look when you look at the production from the past two draft classes.

Yeah no kidding. We have to find a way to keep our homegrown talent around. We can't keep letting all of our productive draft picks walk.

I definitely understand the hesitancy to bring him back, but I more or less agree. Lose him and edge rusher becomes an instant need. More or less, it's the Albert Haynesworth dilemma. Do you guys think Landry is Haynesworth, who is there to get enough of a fortune to sit back and coast, or do you think he's after championships? 

Again, this is why I would do everything I can to get Julio and Tannehill's contracts off the books and hand that money to defensive talent that makes an impact like Landry. 

Harold Landry's best quality to me is his durability and endurance. He is a very solid player.

However, make no mistake, Simmons and Autry were our most disruptive front four players the whole season. If Autry was a bit younger, I would say can't risk losing Simmons or Autry so would be more hesitant.

Simmons is going to get a huge deal and I am a firm believer of building in the trenches so I say yes to resigning Landry but it isn't because I think he is elite at his position. He is solid and losing him definitely hurts but he is not a top tier olb and I worry he may get top money which he isn't worth. Dupree is also costing a fortune but I do think Dupree will get better and be dominant.

So yes sign him but going to need to be very smart with spending with Simmons going to get a huge contract and then Landry and Dupree.

Yes pay the man like I said before I let him walk I would cut an old aging Julio jones. Yes 17 mill is alot but it’s the market, the salary cap rises every yr, in 2yrs 17 mill for a potential double digit sack guy will be a steal. Considering all the top edge rushers will be making 20+. Yes he produced in a contract yr, we finally put some talent on the DL for crying out loud & had a secondary that could cover & not play 10 yards off…