Steelers sign Brian Flores as LB coach/defensive assistant

Blackstar12

10 minutes ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Hopefully he won't be coaching safeties  - Minkah hates him

I never heard of that but I guess it did happen, still sure maybe he misused him but ultimately the Dolphins have a pretty damn good secondary I thought and did have a good secondary last year.  Being tough as a defensive back is not a bad thing and at times Minkah does have to go up against Tight ends if he likes it or not.  

https://dolphinnation.com/2020/08/11/minkah-fitzpatrick-rips-brian-flores-miami-dolphins-tell-all-interview/

7 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Not often you see a guy given a job in the league while pursuing a lawsuit against said league. I tip my hat to the Steelers.

Best case scenario is that Flores uses this opportunity to become an even better coach, leading to other HC opportunities down the road. Worst case is that he's unable to focus on the job and it becomes an ongoing distraction. I hope for the best.

I seriously doubt he will not be able to focus on his job and becomes and distraction.  The guy can coach and I bet players would be fired up to play for him, then again he is not the DC which he easily could be but Teryl Austin has that position and he had basically the same title last year as "senior defensive assistant".  

Either way it is a win win, the guy could be a head coach easily in this league and has been and the Steelers get him around to just help out as an assistant.  Win win for a team in transition, now all they need is to figure out that QB situation.  The WR and OL cores are up in question to considering who are free agents.  They got $29 mil for next year so that is pretty solid.

By the way the Dolphins have $62 + mil to spend in cap space, not too bad for a 9-8 team that almost made the playoffs, perform like that....yeah Brian Flores was the problem, I seriously doubt it.  

7 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Not often you see a good HC relegated to a positional coach/assistant role. Usually it's coaches that got fired in disgrace with tattered reputations. Judge is back with the Pats in some kind of assistant role and I think Patricia washes Belichick's hoodies or something. 

Patriots have tons of open positions now so sure many of those dudes will come back, either way Brian Flores is arguably the most successful Pro coach in Belichick's coaching tree as of now, not including Nick Saban or Kirk Ferentz of course because they are college head coaches.  

The funny thing is what idiot sides with the jerk who brought in creaky hamstrings Will Fuller and his 4 catches for 26 yards in a fight with a good head coach?

That's $384,615.38  per receiving yard.

Flores overcame incompetence at every level and still had moderate success.

Those clowns fired a guy who was 4-2 against Belichick.

• Like 4

Steelers clearly angling for those 2 3rd round comp picks if Flores is hired as HC in 2023. 

The Steelers already have an ILB coach and OLB coach, along with newly promoted DC. 

Flores will enjoy twiddling his thumbs next season, and no doubt the Steelers will provide rave reviews for his services. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

Steelers clearly angling for those 2 3rd round comp picks if Flores is hired as HC in 2023. 

The Steelers already have an ILB coach and OLB coach, along with newly promoted DC. 

Flores will enjoy twiddling his thumbs next season, and no doubt the Steelers will provide rave reviews for his services. 

You don't get a comp pick if the coach is only on your staff for a year. He has to be there for two or more years.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Flores deserved far better than being a LB Coach. But at least Tomlin had the principles to hire him.

Agreed completely.  If anything Flores is basically the assistant defensive coordinator though, but yeah they technically had no position for him not even assistant head coach which is also taken so they just made a spot and he will improve the staff.  I assume he does a lot of game planning defensively and general assistant head coach duties.  

Odd thing is if Bill Belichick did not by accidently text him the wrong thing, Brain Flores would probably be the Head Coach of the Texans or Saints right now.  Hell should have maybe been the head coach of the Raiders or Bears but not sure either one of them even interviewed him.