Steelers sign Brian Flores as LB coach/defensive assistant

Blackstar12

43 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Got their defensive coach, just need a couple defensive pieces, and mostly a QB.. Ben held this team back two years in a row. Clear Super Bowl contenders in 2020 with a different QB. Ben fell off a cliff mid way through the year and arm died. He should have never returned for 2021, as his arm was still totally dead. 

Time to get this team a new QB. Jimmy is not the answer. And Pickett is not the answer, even though he went to Pittsburgh. 

I dont think there is an answer this year at QB...at least not in terms of a franchise QB.

Its a good year to build up the rest of the team.   I worry we might make a desperation play at QB though.

13 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

49er win games in spite of Jimmy G. Any Top 10-12 QB and the 49ers have two Super Bowl Championships. Super Bowl against the Chiefs he missed more throws than I can count. 2021 playoffs most dropped picks ever in one postseason. He's average. Maybe even slightly below average.  

Edit: Also one of the most fragile QB's in the NFL. 

True Jimmy has not performed great in big games but again all that matters is does your win and he wins or at least has recently.  Doubt Kirk Cousins could have won that game in the snow against Green Bay.  But yeah they drafted Trey Lance for a reason, will be curious who gives Jimmy a shot, doubt it is the Steelers but will see.

Same could be said for Carson Wentz who might not be awful for Pittsburgh, who gives him another shot or Jameis Winston or Teddy, both I think would fit the Steelers a bit better than Kirk would.

All probably made the right choice and could become higher picks by returning but Bo Nix, Brennan Armstrong and Phil Jurkovec could have maybe all been 2nd or worst 3rd round picks if they came out in this years QB class.  Steelers would love if Carson Strong fell to them in the 2nd but Indy could take him.  In that 2nd round if Steelers do not go QB 1st round Nix, Armstrong or Jurkovec could all have been selected there in that 2nd by the Steelers, where now unless they trade up all the good QBs will be gone by their pick in the 2nd round.  Howell, Strong or Ridder I do not think they would mind but all would be gone.  

5 minutes ago, 43M said:

I dont think there is an answer this year at QB...at least not in terms of a franchise QB.

Its a good year to build up the rest of the team.   I worry we might make a desperation play at QB though.

Vikings were a QB desperate team after that playoff loss in the 2nd round and that top ranked D in 2017, then signed Cousins and have really not accomplished anything of note since.  Also were a QB desperate team when they signed Sam Bradford and see how that turned out.  So twice they signed QBs and once was out of injury desperation, the other was he was just the best available in that FA cycle.  

Granted the D kind of went south after that 2017 year, curious what would have happened if Zimmer liked Keenum and paid him but obviously would have been less than what Kirk got.  Zimmer hated Keenum though and that continued into hating Kirk Cousins, real thing would be what if Teddy never got hurt and everyone loved that guy in Minnesota players and coaches.

Steelers are kind of in that but not sure they are a Super Bowl team with that OL but they could change that with a few good signings.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Vikings were a QB desperate team after that playoff loss in the 2nd round and that top ranked D in 2017, then signed Cousins and have really not accomplished anything of note since.  Also were a QB desperate team when they signed Sam Bradford and see how that turned out.  So twice they signed QBs and once was out of injury desperation, the other was he was just the best available in that FA cycle.  

Granted the D kind of went south after that 2017 year, curious what would have happened if Zimmer liked Keenum and paid him but obviously would have been less than what Kirk got.  Zimmer hated Keenum though and that continued into hating Kirk Cousins, real thing would be what if Teddy never got hurt and everyone loved that guy in Minnesota players and coaches.

Steelers are kind of in that but not sure they are a Super Bowl team with that OL but they could change that with a few good signings.  

In fairness, Cousins could be a SB QB on the right team.   Id love to have him.

Bradford was never good, and I laughed that teams kept paying so much for him.

Steelers need multiple new starters on the OL and in the secondary.   DL is going to need completely redone in the next couple years.     WR corps has drastically declined.   And obviously....we need a QB.

Basically....we have so many needs, and I dont see a great solution at QB this year.     Id rather sign a guy like Jacoby Brissett for a year or two than use a draft pick or picks to get one out of desperation.   Use the draft capital and cap space to rebuild the team.    Focus on QB next year.

8 minutes ago, 43M said:

Steelers need multiple new starters on the OL and in the secondary.   DL is going to need completely redone in the next couple years.     WR corps has drastically declined.   And obviously....we need a QB.

Basically....we have so many needs, and I dont see a great solution at QB this year.     Id rather sign a guy like Jacoby Brissett for a year or two than use a draft pick or picks to get one out of desperation.   Use the draft capital and cap space to rebuild the team.    Focus on QB next year.

You trade The Steelers 1st rounder this year and next years for Kirk Cousins and maybe something else like a 2nd?  I think the Vikings would be all over that.  You would want Cousins as your QB for the Steelers with this years team and a contract that is soon going to be up?  On the Vikings he is set to make $35 mil next year with a $45 mil cap hit.  Think the Steelers want anything to do with that one year?  That base salary is more than what Aaron Rodgers is scheduled to make next year, and only five players in the NFL will be paid more than Cousins next year, Mahomes, Josh Allen, Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson that make sense?  No way in my book.  Sure is better than Watson who has pending litigation against him in the courts....

I think he would struggle with tough minded defensive coaches that do not cater to him.  I just do not think he is a fit for the culture of that town or that organization.  And in no world is he better than Joe Burrow or Lamar Jackson so not sure what they would get out of it, and he would be behind a bad OL that is oddly worst than the Vikings last year.  

24 minutes ago, 43M said:

Jacoby Brisset... I always liked him..solid. Didn't the colts have him? The colts have up a first round for Wentz and basically got the same results they would have gotten with Jacoby...or dare I say it...less than results... Let's not be like the colts. Jacoby Brisset it is 😎

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611110b1e3d34a7d1f708

cool-swag.gif

MelodicWholeFrigatebird-size_restricted.

PowerlessZanyAstrangiacoral-max-1mb.gif

It is a pathetic joke that he is not a head coach in this league but pretty awesome he is back in the league.  Tons of players would love to play for the dude, and why would they not he has very high character and integrity.  I am not some huge Steelers fan but always loved Mike Tomlin as a coach, now I am going to be a fan of that team since they actually gave Flores another shot, and he should be a head coach after next year but who knows.  Dude is legit and many organizations hired the wrong guy when they decided to not hire Brian Flores but hell most did not even interview him when he was easily one of the most accomplished head coaches available.  

I'd much rather have O'Connell than Flores.

But then I said the same thing for Demeco Ryans and Jim Harbaugh.

37 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

You trade The Steelers 1st rounder this year and next years for Kirk Cousins and maybe something else like a 2nd?  I think the Vikings would be all over that.  You would want Cousins as your QB for the Steelers with this years team and a contract that is soon going to be up?  On the Vikings he is set to make $35 mil next year with a $45 mil cap hit.  Think the Steelers want anything to do with that one year?  That base salary is more than what Aaron Rodgers is scheduled to make next year, and only five players in the NFL will be paid more than Cousins next year, Mahomes, Josh Allen, Dak Prescott, Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson that make sense?  No way in my book.  Sure is better than Watson who has pending litigation against him in the courts....

I think he would struggle with tough minded defensive coaches that do not cater to him.  I just do not think he is a fit for the culture of that town or that organization.  And in no world is he better than Joe Burrow or Lamar Jackson so not sure what they would get out of it, and he would be behind a bad OL that is oddly worst than the Vikings last year.  

Haha.....no, I wouldn't trade that for Cousins.   We aren't in position to be trading tons of picks for a QB....at least no QB that could possibly be traded for.

46 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Possible long term Tomlin succession plan?  He absolutely fits the Steelers head coach profile.

Doubtful.     If the Steelers continue stagnating and sliding under Tomlin, I seriously doubt they would promote a coach beneath him to be his successor.

Edited by 43M