Troy Aikman moving to Monday Night Football

biggie.

8 hours ago, soflbillsfan said:

I dont know if he is an improvement but as a non NFCE fan I can say it was torture having to listen to him commentate that Tampa philly playoff game. He was crying about how he didnt get to commentate the niners dallas game, as every commentators dream would be to call that one. Between him and Buck they literally dont stop talking too. At points I had to mute it just so I can watch the game without having them talk about pointless stuff. it has been tough at times through out the season watching fox because of those 2 commentating. The only plus I have to say is that they broke up him and buck. Funny thing is I actually enjoy listening to Romo and Nantz I think they are the complete opposite to Buck and Aikman. 

I mean when Romo first started everyone was in love with him and how he would predict what would happen at times before the play, but he’s been criticized pretty hard the past couple years. He can be annoying at times and he never stops talking. Dude was announcing the AFC Championship like he bet on the Chiefs. Like sometimes I’ll really enjoy Romo’s commentary, but he can get on my nerves too.

Don't get me wrong Bucks is boring and I don’t think they were some awesome tandem, but I think some of the hate they got was a little too much.

The truth is there just isn’t that many good to great announcers right now. Hopefully that changes. Not sure who MNF pairs Aikman with, but hopefully it’s someone more fun than Buck. Give someone deserving a shot that isn’t some big name since you’re already paying Troy that much.

4 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

A good move that was long, LONG overdue. Burkhardt and Olsen would be a far better A-team for FOX than Buck and... well, anybody, so I'm hoping Buck leaves too.

I have no statistical evidence to prove this, but it definitely felt like the NFCE played in that Buck/Aikman America’s Game of The Week probably more than any other division, so makes sense our fans are happiest about this change/break-up lol.

• Like 1

NFL needs a commentator overhaul in general. Best sport on the planet, with by far the most boring commentators on the planet. Their problem is retired players get the job through connections, and they are not qualified for the job. They have the knowledge, but not the personality and zero entertainment presence about them. It’s just really unfortunate the greatest sport in the world has such poor commentary, and overall dry/boring personalities across every channel. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

NFL needs a commentator overhaul in general. Best sport on the planet, with by far the most boring commentators on the planet. Their problem is retired players get the job through connections, and they are not qualified for the job. They have the knowledge, but not the personality and zero entertainment presence about them. It’s just really unfortunate the greatest sport in the world has such poor commentary, and overall dry/boring personalities across every channel. 

Bingo

What MLB.tv does with being able to select Radio announcers over TV announcers, both Live and On-Demand is a great feature. Radio announcers are largely better than TV counterparts, and are in the industry because they are actually good. Unfortunately I don’t think Sunday Ticket offers this feature, but I could be wrong. 

NFL definitely needs to end their contract with DirecTV, it is largely a very underwhelming service and overpriced. MLB’s is managed by MLB and no third party, way more features, and way more competitively priced. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

I don’t really watch NFL network enough to remember burkhardt/Olsen 

PBP

1) Al Michaels
2) Mike Tirico
3) Jim Nantz
4) Steve Levy
….
6731) A dead cow 
6732) Joe Buck

Color Commentary

1) Tony Romo
….
6) Troy Aikman
7) Louis Riddick
……
10) Chris Collinsworth
11) Brian Griese

Edited by Soggust

On 2/23/2022 at 10:01 PM, 49ersfan said:

Lot of changes upcoming in NFL broadcasting with Al Michaels also a FA. My guess

ESPN - Aikman/Buck (Disney ponies up for Buck)

NBC - Tirico/Collinsworth 

FOX - Burkhardt/Olsen

CBS - Nantz/Romo (no change)

Amazon TNF - Michaels/Sean Payton

Not sure that Disney necessarily does pony up for Buck.  Buck has an appeal/market for Fox that goes beyond football - he gets a ton of use for MLB too, which ESPN/Disney really doesn't air all that much.

And personally, I'd actually like to see Troy separated from Buck because it might make him more tolerable.  Not sure he and Steve Levy are a great pair to draw to, but maybe ESPN finally gives Mark Ketescher the green-light for TV play-by-play or pulls Chris Fowler over from College Gameday stuffs.

Are there actual fans who like Aikman? The suits at these networks seem to love him for some reason, but where are the fans in the wild? 

Madden could be repetitive. He had his mancrushes and often times just stated the obvious, but people liked him. Aikman is like listening to the sound of paint dry. Is there anything to this outside the fact that he's a big name?

In terms of NFL commentating in general, I found it kind of sad the few times I saw UK coverage that it was actually superior to the American product. Like a bunch of Brits can call a game better than guys who grew up with the sport.

Edited by CKSteeler

• 2 weeks later...