GB free agency 2022

squire12

33 minutes ago, Chili said:

Out of all the TEs OJ Howard pops off the list for me. He's still young, big and athletic however his lack of production so far in his NFL career would make him an extremely good low risk FA signing who can add depth to the TE room.

As for WR, Juju makes so much sense. Again he's still young and once upon a time was uber productive so we know he is capable of playing at that level. He will cost next to nothing and would be an excellent #2 to Adams.

It is those two which makes alot of sense from a talent/value/age/depth perspective. Attitude on the other hand...... a change of scenery can sometimes help solve this.

I keep trying to convince myself that I'm chasing the big name/early draft pick when I consider Howard, but that Achilles tear really slowed his development, and a lot of TEs take a long time to get it together anyway. I think he could be a steal for whomever gets him. 

Juju is a solid option, but I'd have to really like the price for him. His athleticism is really just ok looking at his old pro day numbers. I feel like he plays faster than he measured there from the PIT games I've seen over the years and if he can come in with a first year cap hit under 4m then I can live with it.

16 hours ago, Green19 said:

So MVS his rookie year got 76 targets, 38 rec, 581 yards and 2TDs.

So if GB drafts a guy at 28 (let’s say for the argument)… is this enough to change the offense? Are those numbers of an offense weapon that would move the needle for this team? And is that enough for Rodgers to feel good going into the playoffs to lean on that rookie?

Again… I’m sure this team can draft a great WR. I just doubt he would have any meaningful impact this year. Hope I’m wrong though. Hope Burks or Olave are the guy and they come in like Jefferson or Chase. Would make this offense that much more dangerous.

Simple answer is Yes.  So long as the drafted rookie has deep speed or another high end skillset.

Let us not forget that MVS was a late round pick and extremely raw.  Still kind of is.

If we take a rookie WR in round one, I have no doubt the overall skillset will be superior to MVS's when he came in as a rookie.

Rodgers threw to MVS as a rookie, because he had to.  And it worked to some extent.  No reason to think we are in a different position right now the way our WR room looks.  

I'm gonna pitch a fit if we do not address WR with one of our top 2 picks this year.  It is a glaring weakness on our roster.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Gotta sense that an extension is coming today for Jaire or Adams. Packers still need to clear some space not just to get above 0 but create some room for more additions. They can still do a few restructures here and there but the biggest relief is coming from 23 and especially 17. 

I would assume the De'Vondre Campbell contract hasn't been turned over to the NFL yet, so the Packers are probably around $2.8M over the cap.

13 hours ago, Toddfather said:

What is the over under that Kevin King is back again? Definitely not as CB 3, but cheap *** depth?

Probably slim to none.  If he was going to be retained, it was going to be before his dead cap accelerated onto the cap.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I would assume the De'Vondre Campbell contract hasn't been turned over to the NFL yet, so the Packers are probably around $2.8M over the cap.

With Campbell and Lazard factored in, I thought we were closer to about $8.5m still...

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

With Campbell and Lazard factored in, I thought we were closer to about $8.5m still...

The RFA and ERFA tenders have to be turned in before the clock hits midnight so to speak, but Campbell contract doesn't.  They can operate over the cap after the deadline.

30 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The options at this point are Cobb, Alexander, Adams and Amos for extension. Doesn't really matter if it's 7 or 2.8 at this point. Each of those moves are probably getting you 6-7, with Adams 10-12. We could cut Crosby or Lewis, but that's just not happening. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The options at this point are Cobb, Alexander, Adams and Amos for extension. Doesn't really matter if it's 7 or 2.8 at this point. Each of those moves are probably getting you 6-7, with Adams 10-12. We could cut Crosby or Lewis, but that's just not happening. 

Yea, frankly, Adams is the one that has to get done. That's the big money mover in the $10-$12m range. I think with Alexander, we'd clear around $7m, and the rest of those guys, Cobb, Amos, Lowry, we could restructure to save about $10m total I believe. 

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm gonna pitch a fit if we do not address WR with one of our top 2 picks this year.  It is a glaring weakness on our roster.

I won't say WR isn't a need, but besides that (in the first two rounds) the Packers probably will need an Edge guy, and quite possibly a future starter-level TE.  If a good D lineman also falls to them, it is a serious consideration (not a good year for them but SOMEONE will draft those that are available).

Finally, If the Packers do not want either Nijman or Jenkins (when fit) at RT, then that is another real early possibility, now that Turner is gone.

In short, there are several alternatives that do not include WR in the first two rounds. How they draft will depend partially on which positions management and the HC want the most.............. and even more important, who are the best rated prospects on the board when there turn to draft rolls around.

If the Packers keep Adams, MVS and possibly Lazard, I'd say WR comes behind Edge and DL and about equal with TE. If they lose both Lazard and MVS, then the need for a WR is higher.

The final counter in the mix is Amari Rodgers. He make make a big step up in 2022 and he may not. He has shown nothing so far, but receivers often take a little while to develop.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

31 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yea, frankly, Adams is the one that has to get done. That's the big money mover in the $10-$12m range. I think with Alexander, we'd clear around $7m, and the rest of those guys, Cobb, Amos, Lowry, we could restructure to save about $10m total I believe. 

If we did all that we should have plenty of cash to bring in a solid TE, solid WR, maybe a cheap third edge or extra DB and go win a super bowl 

Any WRs you have your eye on?  Any WRs that Rodgers will actually throw to?

Hard to imagine Alexander gets done this year.  His value is as low as it's likely to be for awhile having not played this season, especially since Rasul and Stokes both balled out so it's not like there's even an opening for his agent to play the "look how badly his replacements played" card.  This isn't to say they won't re-sign him, or that he doesn't deserve it, just that the team is unlikely to offer him what his max value is this year and there's no reason for him to take a pay cut just because he missed time.

20 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Any WRs you have your eye on?  Any WRs that Rodgers will actually throw to?

I feel like Juju would be solid. He’s a solid #2 IMO and would thrive in this offense. Totally unsure what a contract for him would theoretically look like. 

Simple answer is Yes.  So long as the drafted rookie has deep speed or another high end skillset.

....Rodgers threw to MVS as a rookie, because he had to.  And it worked to some extent.  No reason to think we are in a different position right now the way our WR room looks.  ...

Vegas, I agree that *IF* you draft a WR who's both good and relatively polished/smart, that Rodgers may throw to him.   We're not looking for a thousand-yard guy as a rookie.  But a guy who could get 300-600 yards as a rookie within the system and within the snaps and targets that he gets.  Who already has both the instincts and the talent to someday become a thousand-yard guy even if he doesn't get that level of opportunity and targets as a rookie.  Maybe a guy whose involvement could grow as the season progressed. 

Rodgers threw to Adams as a rookie, and to MVS.  Maybe *IF* we had guys who were smart and skillful, Rodgers would use them more quickly.  But he really hasn't had anybody like that other than Adams since Cobb.  Even guys like Lazard and Allison, guys who weren't very skillful or talented, got some rookie targets because they were among the few who weren't raw and who at least could know what they were doing, even if they weren't actually talented.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rthom348 said:

I feel like Juju would be solid. He’s a solid #2 IMO and would thrive in this offense. Totally unsure what a contract for him would theoretically look like. 

You really want that 10 cent headed prick on the Packers team? It isn't fantasy football they are playing, other people actually have to work with him on a daily basis.