GB free agency 2022

squire12

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Full season played with 2 sacks and 0 penalties, think you're selling Runyan quite a bit short. Specially when you add in bloodlines which I think need to be factored. I think he's our guard for the next 4-6 years. 

Kenyon Green isn't going to be on our board. He missed like every single athletic baseline for a Packers OL. If you want the guy we'll take in rd 2, my money is on Cole Strange. 

I'm not selling Runyan short.  I'm selling him just what he is 49'th ranked guard in the NFL last year.  With a very poor run blocking score. (Per PFF)  Their score matches my "eyeball" test.

League average starting guard.  Maybe there is a little upside there yet.  

I think he can be upgraded, but it won't be easy.  Newman, I think is an easier one to beat out, though I feel like he still has a good upside.

Guess I'm not sold on either guard being "long term" just yet.  Wouldn't shock me if we take someone to plug in there and make our interior better.

In other words, I don't care who the draft pick is, there may be snaps available at guard for the right draft pick.

16 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yup.  Maybe one of them is.  I like Kenyon Green, just because he has that Jenkins comparison going for him.  He would come in and beat out one of Runyan or Newman right away.  

I think Runyan is an average starting G in the NFL, with a little room to grow.  Newman was sub average last year, could get a year two bump.  But I'm not sold on him.  And I don't know who is there for depth.

I have not heard a Green to Jenkins comparison. When I watched Zion Johnson (who I really like), he reminded me of Jenkins.

Combine would see to validate this:

Jenkins = 6'4" 310 with 5.10 40, 4.62 shuttle, 7.77 3 Cone

Johnson = 6'3" 312 with 5.18 40, 4.46 shuttle, 7.38 3 Cone

Green = 6'4" 323 with 5.24 40, 5.12 shuttle

Johnson looked smooth in the drills. Green looked lumbering.

Edited by TheEagle

Some interesting comments on Reddit.

Kansas Fan

Signing Reed was a complete disaster last season. Having Reed gave us a false sense of confidence that we could move Chris Jones to DE and use Reed effectively as an interior pass rusher. Awful awful decision that resulted in the Chiefs having the worst pass rush and worst defense in the NFL for the first half of the season.

Not only did Reed provide almost nothing as a pass rusher, he also completely nullified Chris Jones’ effectiveness.

Signing Melvin Ingram to play DE, kicking Jones back inside to 3 tech, and making Reed play nose tackle and eat double teams was the last ditch hail marry to save our defense and it worked miraculously well until the playoffs.

But here’s the thing. Reed wasn’t even good at eating double teams either. Derrick Nnadi is a way better nose tackle and we resigned him to a vet minimum contract.

Seattle Fan

One warning sign was that Seattle was in desperate, desperate need for defensive line depth and they were happy to let Reed go elsewhere.

3 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

I have not heard a Green to Jenkins comparison. When I watched Zion Johnson (who I really like), he reminded me of Jenkins.

Combine would see to validate this:

Jenkins = 6'4" 310 with 5.10 40, 4.62 shuttle, 7.77 3 Cone

Johnson = 6'3" 312 with 5.18 40, 4.46 shuttle, 7.38 3 Cone

Green = 6'4" 323 with 5.24 40, 5.12 shuttle

Johnson looked smooth in the drills. Green looked lumbering.

Sorry, I am not watching too much draft stuff myself, just going off of what I read.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/kenyon-green/lxQlSlOZ7v

Prospect Comparison: Elgton Jenkins (2019 NFL Draft, Green Bay Packers)

SCOUT GRADES

TDN Consensus: 86.42/100 (First Round Value)