GB free agency 2022

squire12

54 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

Davante calling him the GOAT on the way out. He clearly hates the guy. MVS is JAG that wanted the most money he was offered. 

Davante loves Aaron. That’s granted. He’s genuine in saying he just wanted to play for the Raiders with his buddy Carr. Doesn’t change what I said.

MVS… Yeah, you can bet there’s reason to believe he just wanted a new QB.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

MVS is not worth 10 million a year like KC gave him.  Now if MVS would have signed for less for the 3 years with GB no problem.  For 30 million, bye bye.

I think a lot of people are underestimating the size of this market. If he can be decent, 10mil is not a large contract for a wideout and with the cap growth and a whole bunch of talent still on their first contract, 10 mil will look like a steal if he finds a good fit.

I liked MVS more than most, but we are in a right spot so I understand decisions have to be made. I think it’s a good contract for him but could be very good for KC. Either way, I wish him well except when he plays GB and we now have a major puzzle to piece together at WR. 

Jarran Reeds contract is 1 year for 3.25 million, with sacks/playing time incentives that can push it to 4.5 million.

The contract has void years and thus only has a 2022 cap charge of 1.75 million.

We have about 15.5 million in cap space currently.

52 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

10 mil a year is nothing, he's worth that. Chark hasn't played in like 2 years and got that.

Yeah but at least Chark is still just 25 and is a bit more versatile. Has had more success when healthy too.

A one year deal for a team like the Lions it makes sense. It's not like they have quality draft picks to sign to second contracts, they gotta spend it somehow.

I think it was an overpay for what you get for MVS.  Then again, he might need a guy like Mahomes right now to match his play style.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

10 mil a year is nothing, he's worth that. Chark hasn't played in like 2 years and got that.

I'd easily take the chance on Chark over MVS. Chark is younger and was actually good before the injuries hit.

I'm probably off base, but I could totally see us paying Clowney about what the Vikings payed Z and adding Fuller on the cheap. That really opens up the draft. There is also the Ron Wolfe mantra that you draft offense, i think that is playing out here a little bit - alongside the fact that MVS just hasn't been reliably available over the past couple of seasons.

4 minutes ago, oldmansmell said:

I'm probably off base, but I could totally see us paying Clowney about what the Vikings payed Z and adding Fuller on the cheap. That really opens up the draft. There is also the Ron Wolfe mantra that you draft offense, i think that is playing out here a little bit - alongside the fact that MVS just hasn't been reliably available over the past couple of seasons.

I think there's virtually zero chance that Gute signs Clowney.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

He's been pretty vocal about playing for the most money, and teams aren't really offering him value. You're probably right, but I also think getting the OLB room situated is a more pressing concern for Gute than figuring out the WR issue - as in I could totally see us trading up for Karlaftis or Johnson. Clowney gives us a lot of flexibility that could easily be cut next year if needed. 

Just now, oldmansmell said:

He's been pretty vocal about playing for the most money, and teams aren't really offering him value. You're probably right, but I also think getting the OLB room situated is a more pressing concern for Gute than figuring out the WR issue - as in I could totally see us trading up for Karlaftis or Johnson. Clowney gives us a lot of flexibility that could easily be cut next year if needed. 

The Packers probably don't want another "old" pass rusher.  They need some more youth in that room, and they're probably looking at an EDGE to replace Preston Smith in a year or two similar to what Rashan Gary did this past season.

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Also Why? Stout run defender, nearing double digit sacks the past couple of seasons - not overly explosive. Sounds like Z and Preston. Their stats are pretty much identical.

2 hours ago, oldmansmell said:

Also Why? Stout run defender, nearing double digit sacks the past couple of seasons - not overly explosive. Sounds like Z and Preston. Their stats are pretty much identical.

Because we have 15M in cap space and we roughly need around 8-9 of those for draft/PS/in-season purposes. If you are going to sign someone it needs to be to a Jarran Reed type of contract. We need to sign a vet WR and 1-2 vet OL as well.

Edited by VonKarman

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Because we have 15M in cap space and we roughly need around 8-9 of those for draft/PS/in-season purposes. If you are going to sign someone it needs to be to a Jarran Reed type of contract. We need to sign a vet WR and 1-2 vet OL as well.

The cash we need for draft picks etc will mainly come once we redo Jaire's deal. I'd be shocked if he plays on the 5th year option this year. Wouldn't want to see him go into his final year unsigned to a long term deal.

8 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

10 million IS something if you don't have enough of it ... the Packers don't.  It may not be a ton of money for some players but for 30 million .. pass.