GB free agency 2022

squire12

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

I too think he looked slow and sluggish this past year. Like he bulked up for the pro game and lost his quicks. 

This is my thought as well.  From an explosion standpoint, he looked like a 30 year old WR who had lost a couple steps rather than a rookie.

• Like 1

Amari has a huge window of opportunity.  It's up to him to capitalize.  I'm usually a fan of looking and hoping for young developmental guys.  It could be a huge window of opportunity for Winfree too, and Malik.  MM always talked about the 2nd-year jump, so hoping it happens.  

I'd been pretty hopeful that Slaton might be a step-up guy.  The Reed pickup perhaps makes that less urgent, and perhaps less easy to get snaps.  Still, I thought he showed some pop at times, so I'm very hopeful that he'll develop into a valuable role player in time.  

I admit I'm curious whether Winfree can step up:  he looked kinda quick and sudden to me, like he didn't look out of place.  I'm hoping that Degaura will step up, too, and that his hands will prove to be hopefully at least average, rather than awful.  I've largely lost hope for Malik, he's flashed enough non-awareness that I don't expect he'll have the awareness and sense of space/speed/instincts that good NFL guys seem to have.  

Amari has the Clemson film and the 3rd round status.  It's a competitive league and will be a competitive roster, and he'll be given an opportunity to compete.  Let the best men win, both for roster spots and for snaps and touches. 

A reality for winning teams is that sometimes things go right, and unexpected or possible-but-improbable things click.  Last year, for example, the week after the draft and reading the Stokes notes, I'd have never guessed that he'd be so good so fast.  Unexpected and improbable.  Packers could use some unexpected and improbable guys to work out well this season, both draft picks and developmental guys.  

I'm no scout, of course.  But another 2nd-year-jump possibility could hypothetically be Newman.  Obviously MLF was quick to bench him for the playoff, and the board hasn't had great buzz for the guy.  And obviously every JAG vet was once a young rookie with perceived potential and possible upside.  But I thought Newman actually showed good feet and good balance; I'm hopeful that he might improve enough to actually emerge as an above-average starter?

• Like 2

I loved the Amari pick when it happened. Hope he gets a fair opportunity on the field including using him in some creative looks. The Cobb thing didn't help him. 

On the other side of the coin, if he doesn't look like he's taken a step in TC, I wouldn't coddle him simply because he's a 3rd round pick.

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Chili said:

Looking at recent highlight videos of potential trade candidates:

Brandin Cooks: He's still quick to get behind defences, nippy player. Consistently gets open and make catches. You can see how lightweight he is, I don't think he's someone you ask to do some run blocking. Let him run his routes, getting open and providing an outlet for the QB.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmAqISMjkQ

Devante Parker: Looks absolutely fine with jump balls. Just don't ask him to run. His speed and agility isn't quite what you want in a #1 WR. He's pretty one dimensional if i'm honest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPB3wG3jMFU

Jerry Jeudy: It's clear he can get open but doesn't look too imaginative after the catch. I thought he had speed but i'm not seeing a huge amount it but he is still quick enough to be effective. He does reminds me of Davante Adams a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmeI0z4SlQI

Tyler Johnson: Buried down depth chart as #4 WR. With AB gone he was probably hoping for a shot at more playing time but Tampa brought in Gage. He might be someone looking to play elsewhere. Tape shows zero rapport with Brady - possible his route running isn't up to scratch. Seems like his best catches happen on more vertical routes. Not showing much speed or explosiveness. Looks mediocre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeTgmQOD1ug

Darius Slayton: One year remaining on his contract so potentially could be available. Decent height and quickness for his size but he is never going to outrun anyone. Good hustle. Fundamentally sound. I think he would actually fit in LaFleur's offence as a #2 WR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZefwVDIyBW8

Laviska Shenault: Showing his rookie season highlights which is much better than last season under Urban Meyer. Looks natural on the field, has some wiggle to him, very versatile lining up all over the place and doing different things. He's just too slow for someone considered a "playmaker" like Deebo. He makes up for it with some physicality. I would not be against trading for him at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1hPHM9PKF4

Denzel Mims: Only got his rookie season highlights. Big lanky frame, not going to outrun anybody. Capable of plucking the ball out of the air. Reminds me of Devante Parker in his game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu08FcmVlxE

Miles Boykin: Very limited highlights. Shows a big frame and some quickness. Was thrown at on deep balls. The potential is there but hasn't amounted to anything in  his career. I don't think he's even worth using a low draft pick on him. Just wait for him to be cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlv5MDK7h4M

Mecole Hardman: Very unlikely to be traded but he does have 1 year left of his contact. He's quick straight line runner but doesn't have much wiggle at all.  He's not really used as a traditional receiver, he's all about screen passes and end arounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0culX9ut1A

If I had to rank in order of preference it's probably
1. Brandin Cooks
2. Jerry Jeudy
3. Lavista Shenault
4. Darius Slayton

Thanks for the analysis on this. Good collection of some top trade targets.

Slayton is really interesting. He's behind Golladay, Shepard and Toney on that depth chart and the Giants are absolutely cash strapped. Save 2.5m for trading him to us. Since they're desperate it might only take a 5th. Working out the final details in my next mock, I'll keep him in mind.

I would have loved Cooks but we need to clear some space before we can bring him in. Gotta fit that $16m salary before restructuring him. If we pull off a Jaire extension that will give us the wiggle room.

Speaking on Mimz, I also wonder if the Jets would trade Corey Davis instead. He's still only 26, is expensive and coming off of a down season (despite the GOAT throwing to him) and injury. Has a 13m salary this season that we could restructure to fit our needs, and we could squeeze that in first. Then again, he might not agree to a restructure that would ruin his current $666,666 signing bonus. The difference is the Jets are in a moderately comfortable cap situation so they might not feel inclined to move him.

33 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I loved the Amari pick when it happened. Hope he gets a fair opportunity on the field including using him in some creative looks. The Cobb thing didn't help him. 

On the other side of the coin, if he doesn't look like he's taken a step in TC, I wouldn't coddle him simply because he's a 3rd round pick.

I see him with the widest range of outcomes. If he slims down, gets quick again, he could wind up our top receiver this season (in a committee of course). If it's more of the same then he could get shown the door. 

Frustrating because I was so excited when we drafted one of my draft crushes last year and hes been a total flop. Can't remember the last time I was this disappointed in a draft pick. Maybe Stoneberner.

Edited by Sandy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Green and Gold goggles syndrome has reached a new low with the Amari Rodgers hype.  I have a hard time imagining how he could have looked worse as a rookie, and I actually liked the pick. 

I think you'll find a better Amari Rodgers in 2022.  It may not show as much with Cobb back, and Cobb being a Aaron Rodgers favorite, but I'm expecting a jump from Amari Rodgers.   Not overly fast or quick but with a year of experience I think there's a role he can carve out especially with our WR position rebuild.   Needs to take advantage of his opportunities but I'm confident he'll be better.

Think Rodgers will have a bounce back year. His rookie year reminds me a lot like Jamaal Williams rookie season. Both played very passive and safe not to make mistakes instead of making plays. Think he'll be more loose this season and we'll see that guy on his college tape.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

Green and Gold goggles syndrome has reached a new low with the Amari Rodgers hype.  I have a hard time imagining how he could have looked worse as a rookie, and I actually liked the pick. 

I think we are all in the same boat.  I just scanned the first 3 pages of his draft thread. Pretty much 100% positivity.

Sometimes you swing and miss.  🤷‍♂️