2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

Hopefully things change but if the Vikings do not start winning big, they could be the dumbest organization in the NFL with how much they are paying Kirk Cousins in the grand scheme of things.  

Kirk Cousins is not the 17th best QB in NFL history, but he is currently the 17th-highest-paid player ever to play in the NFL, and will soon become 10th highest paid all time.

"The only five active players above him on the all-time career earnings list (with their current career earnings) then will be Russell Wilson ($181.3M), Matthew Stafford ($239.3M), Aaron Rodgers ($263.6M), Matt Ryan ($267M), and Tom Brady ($292.9M)."  Note all of them have been to a Super Bowl and all but Ryan have won one.

"As of the 2022 offseason, Kirk Cousins’ career earnings of $161,699,486 make him the 17th-highest-paid player in NFL history. With the $70 million he’ll earn in the next two seasons, Cousins will be at $231.6 million, which will put him in right around the top 10 of all-time, leap-frogging the lesser-paid players like Ndamukong Suh and retired ones such as Joe Flacco, Larry Fitzgerald, and Carson Palmer."  Oh and all of those guys won a Super Bowl as well.

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Sounds like Hunter will be staying. 

Will be interesting to see if they do indeed leave it as a roster bonus. I don’t really see the point I’m not converting it to a signing bonus. 

Good because without him it could be an absolute disaster on D.  Hunter provides them a legit edge player that they cannot get in the draft most likely because the best will be gone.  

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Kirk Cousins is not the 17th best QB in NFL history, but he is currently the 17th-highest-paid player ever to play in the NFL, and will soon become 10th highest paid all time.  

This is not true. Contracts will keep going up, the cap will keep going up. This is only the case if you look at it through the lens of the current season. Players continue to make more money as more money is available.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

This is not true. Contracts will keep going up, the cap will keep going up. This is only the case if you look at it through the lens of the current season. Players continue to make more money as more money is available.

It is true as of right now, but fact is every player on that list has been to a Super Bowl or won a Super Bowl.  Actually only one out of the eight has not won a Super bowl and that is Matt Ryan.  Actually 17th is too low, because it will be 10th like it says after this next season and beyond.  

Sure contracts always go up but is still pretty nuts how much Kirk Cousins has been paid in his career and he has 1 playoff win in 10 years!  Talk about taking advantage of the system and the QB desperate NFL, hopefully one starts to see some actual results from all those millions given to him.  

I got no problems with players getting every bit of money they can. It’s Ray the organizations fault that they have continuously never put together a plan to replace him. Until then, Cousin will still have all the leverage in negotiations (if Vikings don’t want to rebuild). 

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Sounds like Hunter will be staying. 

Will be interesting to see if they do indeed leave it as a roster bonus. I don’t really see the point I’m not converting it to a signing bonus. 

Yeah, I really don’t understand leaving it a roster bonus. Signing bonus makes a lot more sense to me as it will free up some much needed cap space.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

This statement is incredibly shortsighted and completely ignores context. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

This statement is incredibly shortsighted and completely ignores context. 

Shortsighted?  The dude has been in the league 10 years and soon will be the 10th highest paid player of all time.  You see that as not a player being overpaid?  Sure that will change over time but at the moment that is a freaking joke if you compared the other players on that list to him.  What Phillip Rivers, at least he won 5 playoff games, Kirk has one 1 but I guess according to you that is fabulous production for a guy being paid like that.  

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

Nah. Good for him for making as much as he can. It sucks as fans when the team is hampered, but I’m all for every player making every cent he can.

Of course good for him but in terms of the organization they are absolutely getting ripped off in terms of production or lack their of, the only production that matters really, winning.  But sure he is a good guy and good for him but still he is wildly overpaid and might be one of the most overpaid players in the history of the NFL unless he starts winning real soon when it matters.  

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Shortsighted?  The dude has been in the league 10 years and soon will be the 10th highest paid player of all time.  You see that as not a player being overpaid?  Sure that will change over time but at the moment that is a freaking joke if you compared the other players on that list to him.  What Phillip Rivers, at least he won 5 playoff games, Kirk has one 1 but I guess according to you that is fabulous production for a guy being paid like that.  

Of course good for him but in terms of the organization they are absolutely getting ripped off in terms of production or lack their of, the only production that matters really, winning.  But sure he is a good guy and good for him but still he is wildly overpaid and might be one of the most overpaid players in the history of the NFL unless he starts winning real soon when it matters.  

To be clear, Marino never won anything. Stafford was considered a loser until this year. It's a team game. Team. I don't get how this is hard to understand.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

To be clear, Marino never won anything. Stafford was considered a loser until this year. It's a team game. Team. I don't get how this is hard to understand.

Dan Marino won 8 playoff games, pretty sure 8 is more than 1, not to mention he was for a long time the All time leading passer in the NFL back when defenses could actually play defense.  Sure Stafford just did it recently, but he did do it, and unless Kirk does it this year or next he is a massive disappointment and one of the most wildly overpaid players in the history of the NFL.

I don't get how that is hard to understand.  Because that is the fact until he wins playoff games consistently.  If not then what are you being paid to do exactly?

33 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

It’s a team game but the Bucs weren’t contenders until Brady got there. The Chiefs weren’t contenders until Mahomes was ready. The Rams were not getting the job done with Goff. QB is the single most important position, not just in football but in any sport. The last time I remember a team winning the Super Bowl without a franchise QB was the Eagles with Nick Foles. Before that it was maybe the Ravens with Joe Flacco. It happens but it doesn’t happen too often. 

Edited by Purplepride323

Happy for Hunter to be back. Also, could be smart move not spreading out the bonus money more. If Hunter play well and play a full season the Vikings can rip up the contract. If continue to have injury/contract problems the Vikings can trade him with minimum cap hit. Vikings can stay flexible  

7 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

It’s a team game but the Bucs weren’t contenders until Brady got there. The Chiefs weren’t contenders until Mahomes was ready. The Rams were not getting the job done with Goff. QB is the single most important position, not just in football but in any sport. The last time I remember a team winning the Super Bowl without a franchise QB is the Eagles with Nick Foles. Before that it was maybe the Ravens with Joe Flacco. It happens but it doesn’t happen too often. 

True but Joe Flacco got paid big time bucks after he won the Super Bowl with the Ravens, not before.  And the Ravens had an absolutely great defense and the Eagles with Foles had a fabulous offensive line and a great D, not sure the Vikings are in that position with the D or the OL.  

But a NFL team just gave a 48 million dollar raise for a dude that is most likely a sexual predator, so clearly the NFL is flat out stupid in terms of money given to QBs.  

28 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Dan Marino won 8 playoff games, pretty sure 8 is more than 1, not to mention he was for a long time the All time leading passer in the NFL back when defenses could actually play defense.  Sure Stafford just did it recently, but he did do it, and unless Kirk does it this year or next he is a massive disappointment and one of the most wildly overpaid players in the history of the NFL.

I don't get how that is hard to understand.  Because that is the fact until he wins playoff games consistently.  If not then what are you being paid to do exactly?

It's a team game. He's being paid to be a very good QB. If the defense is good, they have a chance. If not? He could be Marino and it won't matter..... It's a team game. 

• Like 1