2022 Minnesota Vikings Offseason

SemperFeist

19 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Who’s still looking for a starting veteran QB? Steelers, Saints, Bucs? I’m sure I’m missing more. Jimmy G should be part of the mix, would guess Winston is back in NO. Are the Bucs really going with Gabbert. Wouldn’t think Cousins really fits the Arians offense though. Does Teddy B get another chance to start somewhere? I know Tampa liked him over Winston supposedly. Seems like he’s the next Ryan Fitzpatrick. Basically good enough to get one year as a starter and moves on to the next team who’s QB situation is bleak. 

Posted in another thread, but relevant here:

In my opinion, here are the teams where Kirk Cousins would make sense:

Carolina ($31.3MM cap)(picks: 1:6, 4:107, 5:144, 5:149, 6:198, 7:245): As discussed earlier, we'd have to take on Darnold and they have no 2nd or 3rd round picks. If 1:6 isn't on the table, there's not much of a package they can put together.

Cleveland  ($18.5MM cap)(picks: 1:13, 2:44. 3:78, 3:98, 4:106, 4:117, 5:155, 6:192, 7:221): Similar to Carolina, we'd have to take on Baker, but Cleveland would also have to shed some salary or we'd have to eat a significant chunk of Kirk's salary. So eating Kirk's salary and paying Baker doesn't make sense for us. In addition, I don't think Cleveland would want to give up early picks, as they wouldn't really get any cap relief and they could argue they're giving us a starting QB.

Detroit ($20.1MM cap)(picks: 1:2, 1:32, 2:34, 3:66, 3:97, 5:177, 6:180, 6:218, 7:240): Detroit could make sense on multiple levels, but we aren't trading Kirk in the division.

Houston ($16.8MM cap)(picks: 1:3, 2:37, 3:68, 3:80, 4:136, 6:182, 6:206, 7:243): In theory, we could probably swap Kirk for Watson, but that's a PR nightmare, and no one knows when Watson would play again anyway. Davis Mills showed enough to where Houston may want to give him a full season to see what he can do. If Houston trades Watson to someone else, they'd have the cap to take on Kirk. But do they want to? They're much more than a QB away from competing.

Indianapolis ($37MM cap)(picks 2:42, 3:73, 3:82, 4:121, 5:159, 5:178, 6:217, 7:237, 7:238): They could take Kirk's salary. But they don't have a 1st round pick this year. Perhaps they'd give up 2:42 and next year's #1. They're not too far off from competing, and Kirk could help a lot. But they could give up less and get Jimmy G and probably still improve over Wentz. 

New Orleans (-$42MM cap)(picks 1:18, 2:49, 3:100, 4:119, 4:137, 5:161, 6:214, 7:235): This would be an ideal fit if New Orleans wasn't in absolute cap hell. I just can't see them adding a premium QB salary. They simply can't clear enough cap space, and we can't help them in that regard.

New York Giants (-$5.8MM cap)(picks 1:5, 1:7, 2:36, 3:67, 3:81, 4:111, 5:147, 5:173, 6:181): Cousins is a definite upgrade over Daniel Jones, but the Giants have to clear cap too. In a dream scenario, I'd love to see the Giants give us 1:5 and 1:7 for Kirk, 1:12 and our 2nd round pick (maybe even Daniel Jones), but that's wishful thinking even if they had the cap space. Plus, they seem to be committed to trying to see if they can get Daniel Jones to play better.

Pittsburgh ($29.6MM cap)(picks 1:20, 2:52, 3:84, 4:138, 7:223, 7:239): They could clear some cap space. They have a team that can compete with competent QB play. They have early picks. 

Seattle ($51.4MM cap)(picks 1:9, 2:40, 2:41, 3:72, 4:115, 5:145, 5:153, 7:227): They now have a lot of cap space and draft capital. However, Kirk with Seattle is a lot like Kirk with Minnesota: he'll have problems because of a bad, bad offensive line. Plus they'd end up paying Kirk more than they were playing Russ. 

Tampa Bay ($21.3MM cap)(picks 1:27, 2:60, 3:91, 4:132, 5:170, 7:246, 7:261): Need to clear some cap space, but there's talent on the team. The NFC South is going to be horrid, so Kirk would keep them at the top of the division. 

• Like 2

Vikings reported interested in moving/trading Adam Thielen, Eric Kendricks, Michael Pierce, Dalvin Cook, in mostly salary related saving/dumps. 

can’t say I’m surprised, as I highlighted all of these players as options KAM could look to move on from. 

I’m on board, KAM wasn’t brought in to just hire KOC, and run back Rick’s team… deep changes are hopefully in the pipeline. 

Edited by CriminalMind
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Vikings reported interested in moving/trading Adam Thielen, Eric Kendricks, Michael Pierce, Dalvin Cook, in mostly salary related saving/dumps. 

can’t say I’m surprised, as I highlighted all of these players as options KAM could look to move on from. 

I’m on board, KAM wasn’t brought in to just hire KOC, and run back Rick’s team… deep changes are hopefully in the pipeline. 

Would prefer to keep Thielen around, just seems the offense is going to have to carry the team and having a trio of Jefferson, Thielen and Osborn certainly makes things easier for the offense.

Im definitely on board with trading Cook, Pierce and Kendricks if they find buyers. Kendricks is probably the most valuable of that group if cap is an issue, and there’s a new scheme change, it would make sense to move on. MN should never have paid Cook. I think Mattison and Nwangu can be a productive duo at a fraction of the cost. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

A report mentioning Dalvin Cook for salary dump seems like it was written by someone who knows nothing of the salary cap to begin with as Cook gives 2.6 million saved versus 9.3 miliion dead and with general devaluing of RB you can't convince me the draft pick given would be worth it with Thielen likewise being 5.8 saved versus 11.1 dead also not getting a pick worthwhile.

Nevermind the general fact at that point what are we even keeping Cousins for at that point if we gimp the offense we're going to ask him to operate while the Pierce and Kendricks dumps at least save more then dead and remove 14 of our 15 million over the cap.

1 hour ago, solidvikingfan said:

A report mentioning Dalvin Cook for salary dump seems like it was written by someone who knows nothing of the salary cap to begin with as Cook gives 2.6 million saved versus 9.3 miliion dead and with general devaluing of RB you can't convince me the draft pick given would be worth it with Thielen likewise being 5.8 saved versus 11.1 dead also not getting a pick worthwhile.

Nevermind the general fact at that point what are we even keeping Cousins for at that point if we gimp the offense we're going to ask him to operate while the Pierce and Kendricks dumps at least save more then dead and remove 14 of our 15 million over the cap.

Agreed.  They can restructure Cook and Thielen, but they aren't getting out of those deals yet.  Reasonably, they can't get out of either of their deals until next year.  

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Any report coming from Jason LaCanfora should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Any report coming from Jason LaCanfora should be taken with a grain of salt.

A very large grain of salt. 

LaCanfora is like the guy eavesdropping from across the room. He gets snippets of information, but rarely gets the true scoop. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NoDakViking said:

0% chance he comes back

Not sure I’d say zero. He still likely has friends in the locker room, and it’s not like the Vikings treated him unfairly. The indictment would have landed him on the exempt list and he would have missed the whole season anyway.