Jets sign G Laken Tomlinson (3 years, $40M, $27M gtd)

RaidersAreOne

On 3/14/2022 at 2:10 PM, Geezy said:

Jets should have a pretty good OL next year right? Becton, Vera-Tucker and now Tomlinson. 

If Kayvon Thibodeaux is gone @ 4th overall I hope we draft Ikem Ekwonu @ RT. 

LT: Mekhi Becton. 

LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker. 

RG: Laken Tomlinson.

RT: Ikem Ekwonu.

and/or...

LG: Laken Tomlinson. 

RG: Alijah Vera-Tucker. 

Not a fan of our Center Connor McGovern but nonetheless that O-Line above would create for an NFL monster O-Line for Zach Wilson and RB Michael Carter.

Edited by DefenseWinsChampionships
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DefenseWinsChampionships said:

If Kayvon Thibodeaux is gone @ 4th overall I hope we draft Ikem Ekwonu @ RT. 

LG: Alijah Vera-Tucker. 

RG: Laken Tomlinson.

Not a fan of our Center Connor McGovern but nonetheless that O-Line above would create for an NFL monster O-Line for Zach Wilson and RB Michael Carter.

Jets are a dynasty in the making. The vision is clear.

7 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

For some reason, I thought I'd heard negative chatter about Becton. Maybe it was just typical NY gossip. 

No, there definitely was. Staff was unhappy with him. Wasn't in shape, nagging injuries, etc.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Jets should have a pretty good OL next year right? Becton, Vera-Tucker and now Tomlinson. 

I hear they also looking a Collins from the Cowboys. They will have a very solid OL for Wilson. No excuses really. They have plenty capital to build around him.

3 minutes ago, ACO said:

I hear they also looking a Collins from the Cowboys. They will have a very solid OL for Wilson. No excuses really. They have plenty capital to build around him.

I have to admit I'm intrigued to see how Wilson does behind such a line. I like Carter a lot at RB. Let's see if Elijah Moore can take a leap. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

That isn’t some seamless transition for everyone.

It's a sore subject for a lot of OL. Historically, there have been some super talented linemen who really, really struggled or would struggle if/when they switched sides. Then there are some guys who are super talented who have no problem switching sides, switching positions, whatever. There seems to be no common thread and it varies greatly from player to player. Unless an OL has played an exact position before with success, I don't think you can predict with any certainty how they will do at a new position (switching sides included).

Laken Tomlinson is a good LG and he's switching to RG. There's definitely a degree of risk involved there.

2 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I have to admit I'm intrigued to see how Wilson does behind such a line. I like Carter a lot at RB. Let's see if Elijah Moore can take a leap. 

He seemed to be taking a step forward at the end of the season. Year 2 could see him make a big jump. We all know all eyes will be on him and Lawrence to see how they improve as the teams continue to build.

Quoted from PFF: 

STARTING GUARD: Tomlinson has developed into one of the best guards in the league under Kyle Shanahan, so a zone-heavy system is best for him to ensure continued high production. However, Tomlinson has done it all throughout his career and he can play in any scheme.

They ranked him as the 28th best available FA option. 

I'm really liking this move especially for RB Michael Carter.

2 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Jets are adding to an already beastly O-line for Wilson.  Now they can go after some elite WR talent in the draft.  Nice move.

Would love going after WR's Drake London or Garrett Wilson #10 overall of the 1st round.

We haven't drafted a 1st round WR since dating back to Keyshawn Johnson of 1996 and Santana Moss of 2001 of 21/26 years ago; it's been far too long. 

And then go after TE Trey McBride @ either 36th or 38th overall (2nd round).