LA Rams Draft Thread

MDY10

13 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Could be, but there are all of two guys on Twitter I trust when it comes to breaking down CBA stuffs - otherwise I consult my wife who is an HR Manager... and who, despite being a football fan herself, laughs in my face when I try to get her to do stuff she might have to worry about for work at home in a non-work-related environment.

When we traded for Von I looked into it and everything pointed towards a 5th. That said, I could absolutely be wrong too lol 

39 minutes ago, MDY10 said:

When we traded for Von I looked into it and everything pointed towards a 5th. That said, I could absolutely be wrong too lol 

We can get as high as a 5th, which we certainly will get based off of the contract he was given. The highest you can get for a player with 10+ accrued seasons is a 5th, which is stupid IMO. If they’re still successful enough to land a contract the size Von did, then it’s obviously a huge loss to the team he’s leaving. But it is what it is, I suppose. 

3 minutes ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

We can get as high as a 5th, which we certainly will get based off of the contract he was given. The highest you can get for a player with 10+ accrued seasons is a 5th, which is stupid IMO. If they’re still successful enough to land a contract the size Von did, then it’s obviously a huge loss to the team he’s leaving. But it is what it is, I suppose. 

I don’t get it either, he just signed for 120 million dollars.. he’s clearly still playing at a high level lol 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure @jrry32and I will get into this on other threads in the coming weeks as we get closer to the draft, but I thought I'd throw out a couple of maybe a little under-the-radar guys I've taken a shine to that may be realistic options for us based off of where we're picking.

Zyon McCollum // CB // Sam Houston State

Most who know how I approach draft study know that I put a fair amount of stock in reviewing front office trends, including positional archetypes, specific traits that are valued greater than others, etc.  McCollum is as close as I've found so far in this class to a Rochell clone.  Long, athletic corner with ascendant ball skills whose shortcomings are more a case of being green, and are very much coachable, but also tend to make him look a little less scheme-versatile than he can be (not, "can" not "is currently").

Verdarian Lowe // OT // Illinois

When I say that this guy is being slept on, I mean that next to nobody is talking about him and he'll likely be one of those "Who?!" reaction guys, especially from general members on this site, when he's selected on Day 3 this year.  And I'm fairly confident he'll earn a Day 3 selection.  He checks all the tools boxes and he's got the kind of attitude and work ethic that get guys to stick on rosters.  Also, while I don't think he's a great HC, it's difficult discounting Bret Bielema when it comes to developing OL and sending them to the pro's with an extremely high football IQ which, at the very least, tends to add to their versatility (and is something, I believe from what I've seen, is something both Les and McVay value in OL prospects).

Josh Rivas // OG // Kansas State

Mauler whose big knock is "slow feet," but he's coachable and he's the sort of player that teams like the Niners have been drafting late and consistently have been able to plug in as injury-fills without much of a hitch in their step for years now.

Tre Sterling // S // Oklahoma State

It's a deep safety class, but this guy is being slept on.  And he fits the dual-function safety concept that we've coveted (e.g. Jordan Fuller).  A wrist injury, which sounds like it may have been a cumulate result of a faulty initial diagnosis by the OSU doctors, ruined his 2021 season, but as long as his medical checks out, I'd use a Day 3 pick on him for his eyes alone.  The guy reads defenses really, really well and is at his best when he's able to sit in that intermediate area of the defense and read the QB.

Nick Ford // OL // Utah

Utah used him primarily as a RG, but I think his future is at center; which may actually help some to cure his penchant to lax his knee-bend as the play progresses.  The pop is there when he hits it, but he just needs to iron out those bad habits to help him sustain the blocks.  But the guy is the definition of versatile lineman with starts at all 5 spots.  That said, I think what's held back his development has been the fact that he is so damn versatile.  Give him a year where he can focus on one particular position to make it his forte and I think he shines.

Jalen Nailor // WR // Michigan State

I openly profess my love for Speedy Nailor (and not just because of the name).  This is a dude that fits what McVay wants in a WR and I'll be damned if he isn't able to beat out Skrownek for his roster spot.  This is the guy that, in my opinion, is the type that McVay and Les wanted in Dee Eskridge and hope they were getting the consolation prize of with Tutu... except Nailor has better size certainly than Tutu.  His control of his ability to throttle up and down while running is impressive.  And what will probably sell McVay the most is despite only being 6'0, 190lbs the dude isn't shy about squaring up and sticking his nose in as a run-blocker; he even seems to enjoy it.  The guy's a mid-phase speed runner, who isn't going to Tyreke it off the line, but that also helps him get his separation because if he has the space he throttles up right off the stem of his route while the DB is mid-hip-flip.  But it also means that his speed didn't really show up in the timed-environment metric of the combine (4.5s is not indicative of what you see on tape), so he's probably very safely still there are the end of Day 2 and into early-mid Day 3.  Meanwhile, in spite of a 4.5s 40-yard dash Nailor still registered in the elite category for explosiveness in his RAS (Relative Athletic Score).

Arron Mosby // LB // Fresno State

Earnest Jones may make him redundant... or not, because I'm fairly confident Mosby's going to be late Day 3 if he's selected at all and otherwise a PFA, which means we likely shouldn't have issues getting him to the PS if we're able to snag him.  I actually think he can remain as a DPR (designated pass-rusher) and clock some time as a WILL, but the guy reminds me a lot of Corey Littleton coming out of Washington.  Long, but more because of arm-length than height pass-rusher, who clearly needed more physical strength.  Yet he still managed to have a knack for making splash plays that resulted in turnovers.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Lowe played in the E-W Shrine Game. He seemed intriguing. But he looked like more of a Guard to me.

It's where he's most comfortable.  I'm projecting based off the limited snaps I've seen from him at center, but I'll admit to having a penchant for two things in centers: Former competitive wrestlers and long arms (assuming they also already know how to punch and throw powerful hands).  As a G/C swing, he's a fine fit and with his attitude I think he could stand a chance to unseat Shelton (because one of the things the coaching staff loves about Allen is his attitude and grit, which I've really yet to see from Shelton, and have seen from Lowe).

• Like 1

Im paying very close attention to anyone the Rams visit with. If I’m not mistaken, a high percentage of players drafted by the Rams also had visits. Sounds like a pretty obvious strategy but it doesn’t seem like it happens as often on other teams. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, MDY10 said:

Im paying very close attention to anyone the Rams visit with. If I’m not mistaken, a high percentage of players drafted by the Rams also had visits. Sounds like a pretty obvious strategy but it doesn’t seem like it happens as often on other teams. 

Well, yes, but you're not the only one who pays close attention as that also seems to be part of the Seattle draft strategy of late, as well. [/sarcasmnotsarcasm]

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dr LBC said:

Well, yes, but you're not the only one who pays close attention as that also seems to be part of the Seattle draft strategy of late, as well. [/sarcasmnotsarcasm]

I also pay close attention to the volume in position groups. It shows us what our focus is (obviously), but also is telling who we won't be resigning to a longer term deal since they draft 1-2 years ahead of schedule.

Robert Rochelle---->Darious Williams gone 

Bobby Brown/Earnest Brown---> SJD gone

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BStanRamFan said:

I also pay close attention to the volume in position groups. It shows us what our focus is (obviously), but also is telling who we won't be resigning to a longer term deal since they draft 1-2 years ahead of schedule.

Robert Rochelle---->Darious Williams gone 

Bobby Brown/Earnest Brown---> SJD gone

Tutu------->Woods gone

52 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

Tutu------->Woods gone

I generally agree with this. His injury didn't help the situation. OBJ coming on the way he did, didnt help the situation.

We field calls for Woods last draft season and didn't get what we wanted in return so the writing was on the wall.