LA Rams Draft Thread

MDY10

On 4/24/2022 at 10:17 AM, BStanRamFan said:

Generally, I agree with that. Hendo is out after next year.

Cook has the potential to be special. Paired with Akers for 2 years and I think we could have a ridiculous RB duo. Would Cook likely cost us our first pick?

Wouldn't shocked me. Cornerstones are in place in defense at each level so we fill in with lesser talent. Is a rookie Olinemen from the draft going to come in and start on a Superbowl winner? No. 

WR is locked up.

I could see Cook being the pick as far as first year potential impact goes.

Oh I’m not opposed to taking a HB. I’d just prefer someone to complement Akers more so than replicate him. Also Akers and Henderson are already question marks when it comes to durability so I’d prefer to take a guy who is more durable. 

1 minute ago, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Oh I’m not opposed to taking a HB. I’d just prefer someone to complement Akers more so than replicate him. Also Akers and Henderson are already question marks when it comes to durability so I’d prefer to take a guy who is more durable. 

Finding big bodied backs that grind out yards between the tackles like Jake Funk or Malcolm Brown or Sony Michel I feel are much easier to find late in the draft or UDFA. Playmakers like Akers and Cook are a little more rare. 

I think McVay in year 2 with Stafford knows he can do even more now with the playbook than he ever could before. Even most analysts said they didn't expect the Rams to compete for a title Year 1 with Stafford, they thought more year 2. So adding weaponry wherever possible has to be on McVay's agenda. And also, just can never have enough RB's

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, NVRamsFan said:

Me and my dad watched this this morning. IT IS EPIC.

This is what you do when you're in Hollywood and coming off a Super Bowl win. All the big players got involved. Most are at Offseason workouts. I mean what more could you ask for?

• Like 2

Longshot Rams draft bet on the book I use: Rams first pick to be a TE @ +3300. Under McVay, we've done offensive skill players as the first pick in 3/5 of the years. None of those years was a skill position even a major need aside from 2017. We could use a TE2 and potentially are looking for a Higbee replacement. Plus it is a good spot where a lot of TEs could be available. 

Probably doesn't hit but it's great value.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

Longshot Rams draft bet on the book I use: Rams first pick to be a TE @ +3300. Under McVay, we've done offensive skill players as the first pick in 3/5 of the years. None of those years was a skill position even a major need aside from 2017. We could use a TE2 and potentially are looking for a Higbee replacement. Plus it is a good spot where a lot of TEs could be available. 

What I and all of us fall victim to and miss the boat on is what I've bolded. None of us have the slightest idea what McVay thinks is a position of need or even a big enough need to use our first pick on. We do this every year and get pissed off. Time to start just accepting what pick happens as that's what he felt was the best player for the team. Just like this tweet about our draft plans (open for the full conversation). We all need to get over the notion we know what the Rams "needs" are.

1 hour ago, NVRamsFan said:

What I and all of us fall victim to and miss the boat on is what I've bolded. None of us have the slightest idea what McVay thinks is a position of need or even a big enough need to use our first pick on. We do this every year and get pissed off. Time to start just accepting what pick happens as that's what he felt was the best player for the team. Just like this tweet about our draft plans (open for the full conversation). We all need to get over the notion we know what the Rams "needs" are.

This is literally what I am saying lol. TE is not a major position of need for 2022 and I think it's in play for one of our early picks despite that. We've historically drafted skill position early and have targeted TEs in the 2-4 round range. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, LeotheLion said:

What book is that on?

On 4/24/2022 at 6:47 AM, BEASToftheEAST4 said:

Those TWO ACL tears scare the hell out of me. We’ve already got two backs with durability issues—I’d like to get a sturdier back, ideally also someone who’s more of a complement to our current ones. 

One injury doesn't not "durability issues" make.  Henderson has, in the past, had some issues with niggling injuries, but I still wouldn't call him injury-prone.  Akers has had one injury of note that caused him to miss any games, the Achilles injury, his combined college and pro careers so far.  I'm not saying I love the idea of a guy having had multiple ACL tears at such a young age, because I just keep remembering Danario Alexander.  But it's a contact sport.  Players are going to get injured and there are no perfect prospects who give you assurances they aren't ever going to get injured.

2 hours ago, NVRamsFan said:

Yeah, by and large what we've seen since the initial success under McVay (i.e. basically since the offseason following the first Super Bowl appearance), this front office "plugs" needs with trades and free agent signings (many of them post-draft signings so that the comp formula isn't affected) and uses the draft to add value to the roster, speculate on guys that they feel could (loosely put) "improve the roster" and to prepare/lay contingency plans for future immediate free agents.  We're not a need-based drafting team.

1 hour ago, LeotheLion said:

This is literally what I am saying lol. TE is not a major position of need for 2022 and I think it's in play for one of our early picks despite that. We've historically drafted skill position early and have targeted TEs in the 2-4 round range. 

And I was agreeing with you, adding on and linking a tweet from Jourdan about the Rams pressers today that agreed with us.

• Like 1