Roy Halladay dies in plane crash in Gulf of Mexico

Tyronnosaurus

Something can be preventable yet still a tragedy.  To act like this isn't a tragedy because he was engaging in thrill seeking behavior is pretty stupid.  There are a lot of adrenaline junkies out there, nothing wrong with that.  Not a fan of telling others how to live their life.  Everyone is wired different and everyone desires different things out of life.  If he was sky diving and his parachute failed to open, would the radio host have the same viewpoint still? Just because you have a family means you can't partake in hobbies if they're risky?  That's no way to live life IMO.  He died doing one of the things he loved according to reports.  It was a very preventable death, but that doesn't make it any less of a tragedy. 

9 hours ago, mission27 said:

I fly a couple of times of a month.  No, I would never do anything like what Roy did here, mainly because I fly a ****ty little Cessna over densely populated areas.

It looks like, even at his highest, he was flying at only a few hundred feet.  Unless he is in the vicinity of an airport I would argue there is a very low likelihood of any other aircraft in the area at the altitudes he was flying at.  Was he pushing the bounds of what is acceptable?  Yes.  But in context I don't think what he was doing was grossly irresponsible at least from the perspective of putting others at risk.  The A5 is specifically designed to takeoff, land, skim, and fly at low altitude over open water and for high agility maneuvers.  In the grand scheme of things he picked a fairly appropriate place to do what the aircraft he was given was designed to do.  

We will see what comes of the NTSB investigation but, bad judgement or not on Roy's part, I think a lot of the blame needs to be placed on Icon.  They clearly gave Roy a sweetheart deal to endorse this thing and handed an inexperienced pilot a death trap with very little training.  And that really just goes to their entire marketing strategy.  They are designing and marketing this to be something that inexperienced pilots can own at low cost and fly as if they are trained stunt pilots.  That's never going to end well.

The problem is with such an extreme altitude change it isn't that far out of the realm of possibility for a very amateur pilot, like him, to lose control. If losing control just goes down then no one else is in risk, but if it is in pulling up he can end up banking and going any which way with no real control over where he may come down. I didn't see any other planes but there were definitely boats on the water.

If we were talking about a more even controled decent towards the water to skim I'd agree others weren't in danger, but he was about as close to dive bombing as you can get in that plane.

(Want to be clear I'm not at all defending the radio guy. Solely responding to whether he was acting irresponsibly).

16 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Even if I take your word for that, are you really arguing that Halladay deserved to die and we shouldn't feel sympathy?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/pair-boston-sports-radio-hosts-mock-roy-halladay-death-article-1.3620172

“What bugs me about a story like this is when they use the word ‘tragedy,’” Massarotti said. “A tragedy is what happened at that church in Texas this past weekend, or an orphanage burning down. This? You know what the risks are!

“If you’re a thrill-seeker and you die this way, you know the risks. It’s an unfortunate circumstance, not a tragedy.”

Not going to touch on the other parts that they spoke about, but this series of quotes I would argue is accurate. Not to mention the TMZ video that surfaced showing Roy divebombing and performing extreme maneuvers very close to the surface of the water.

If a person gets run over by their jeep and dies (like Anton Yelchin) in their driveway, that's a tragedy. If a person decides they want to play Frogger on a freeway at night and gets hit by a car and dies, it's sad, but they put themselves in those circumstances.

It sucks that he died. Don't get me wrong. But by all accounts of those in the area before it happened, the guy was showboating and performing dangerous maneuvers. Sucks for his family.

16 hours ago, playmaker8267 said:

Sympathy for Halladay? No. The way he was operating that aircraft, he was begging for a catastrophe. His wife was apparently begging him to not buy the plane, which arrived Monday. Then he goes out and risks his life (and loses) by flying the plane like a complete moron just for a thrill. Watch the video and tell me this is a tragedy. A tragedy is what happened to Nick Adenhart. Not this.

He didn't deserve to die, but when you beg to die with this behavior, it's not in the tragedy category. I just can't mourn this the same way I would have if he died of something unpreventable. Halladay was an incredible pitcher. I loved watching him work, even when he was carving up my team. I was floored when I first saw the news, because of that and because I knew he was held in very high regard among the players. After seeing how his death was completely preventable, I just can't call this a tragedy.

But Felger's the bad guy for calling Halladay out for his stupid behavior.

Halladay had the plane for a few weeks. This wasn't the first time he's flown it. 

I will say this. There is an old proverb. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icarus

Icarus ignored his father's instructions not to fly too close to the sun; when the wax in his wings melted he tumbled out of the sky and fell into the sea where he drowned.

28 minutes ago, Danger said:

Halladay had the plane for a few weeks. This wasn't the first time he's flown it. 

I will say this. There is an old proverb. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Icarus

You're lucky that Boston sports radio is saving you from the gold medal in this thread.

1. This is not a proverb. A proverb is an old saying that's stood the test of time like "A fool and his money are soon parted" or "She can't get pregnant if she's on top". That is a myth (made up story) that you are incorrectly using as a parable (story with a moral).

2. The tale of Icarus was about how a guy flew too high, Halladay died because he was flying too low. If anything, he probably listened to the tale of Icarus way too much, and therefore was determined to keep the wax wings on his plane that could were definitely susceptible to melting in these steamy November temperatures away from the sun.

3. There's also Ancient Greek myths where Zeus seduces a woman by transforming into a swan and then they bang, Zeus produces the original Pee Pee Tape, the God Ixion impregnated a cloud, and there's a midget little person with an 18 inch dong. So maybe we shouldn't take what they say so serious.

10 hours ago, mission27 said:

I fly a couple of times of a month.  No, I would never do anything like what Roy did here, mainly because I fly a ****ty little Cessna over densely populated areas.

It looks like, even at his highest, he was flying at only a few hundred feet.  Unless he is in the vicinity of an airport I would argue there is a very low likelihood of any other aircraft in the area at the altitudes he was flying at.  Was he pushing the bounds of what is acceptable?  Yes.  But in context I don't think what he was doing was grossly irresponsible at least from the perspective of putting others at risk.  The A5 is specifically designed to takeoff, land, skim, and fly at low altitude over open water and for high agility maneuvers.  In the grand scheme of things he picked a fairly appropriate place to do what the aircraft he was given was designed to do.  

We will see what comes of the NTSB investigation but, bad judgement or not on Roy's part, I think a lot of the blame needs to be placed on Icon.  They clearly gave Roy a sweetheart deal to endorse this thing and handed an inexperienced pilot a death trap with very little training.  And that really just goes to their entire marketing strategy.  They are designing and marketing this to be something that inexperienced pilots can own at low cost and fly as if they are trained stunt pilots.  That's never going to end well.

Good. Then, you know how dangerous sudden changes in altitude are. The plane is designed to be amphibious. I agree. I'd have no issue with him just landing in the water, but he was doing more than that. He was acting irresponsible and reckless. My car is designed to drive over 170 miles per hour. That doesn't mean it's not reckless and irresponsible of me to drive 170 miles per hour on the highway.

Not touching the radio hosts comments or whether this is a tragedy or not but had a buddy who flew for the airforce and now recreational and he said what he was doing was most likely stupid and something he would never do because it endangers not only yourself but the people on the water. He also said if he had some sort of mechanical problem that could also be a reason for the erratic behaviors so it may have not been just showboating. 

14 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

You're lucky that Boston sports radio is saving you from the gold medal in this thread.

1. This is not a proverb. A proverb is an old saying that's stood the test of time like "A fool and his money are soon parted" or "She can't get pregnant if she's on top". That is a myth (made up story) that you are incorrectly using as a parable (story with a moral).

2. The tale of Icarus was about how a guy flew too high, Halladay died because he was flying too low. If anything, he probably listened to the tale of Icarus way too much, and therefore was determined to keep the wax wings on his plane that could were definitely susceptible to melting in these steamy November temperatures away from the sun.

You're looking at it too literally. If you put yourself in such situations then you're more likely to suffer the consequences. 

Anywho, yes it's hugely unfortunate, and I'm pretty bummed about his death, he was my favorite player of all time. But by the way he was flying the plane, I can't say I'm surprised it ended poorly.

Archived