Baker Mayfield formally requests a trade

TheRealMcCoy

2 minutes ago, DawgX said:

As for Baker, I can understand him feeling disrespected, but still. What do you expect the team to do when you've yet to put good back-to-back seasons together? They even supposedly told his agent at the combine that they'd explore top-tier QB options. If you don't like it, play better.

Nah. I don't fault Baker right now. I totally understood why the Browns wanted to look into Watson, but the way they went about it was just so unnecessary. They created drama where there didn't need to be. Sources trashing his character and making it known he not wanted regardless of what happens (while secretly hoping they got their QB). Now that they were rejected they want to act like the last 48 hours didn't happen? How you going to deny a man a trade after all that? Browns gonna Browns indeed.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

My point is Baker has put himself in that situation. Not only because his rollercoaster type of play on the field, but his actions/words and constantly butting heads with members of the team, players and coaching staff off the field.

Baker has had a public issue with all 4 coaches that have been here in CLE. He had 'behind the scenes' issues with Hue/Kitchens/Haley and now more publicly Stefanski.

At some point your going to have to look in the mirror. You cant light a match, burn your fingers because you touched it and then blame the match. 

That one doesn't count. Todd Haley is a miserable person by all accounts including my own first-hand lol.

3 minutes ago, Tommy_C said:

I can see Seattle or even NO trying to make a trade for him. 

GM Schneider worked with Scot McCloughan in the past and Scot is the scout who was very high on Baker
The other one who was allegedly interested in Baker was former GM John Dorsey, now an advisor in Detroit.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Everyone 72 hours ago: LOL the Browns are stuck with Baker!!!

Everyone today: Hahahaha Browns you’re losing Baker

Like I’ve said, he’s average

y'all been saved from yourselves in offering him a huge contract

By trading him right now, you'll get good value, at which point you can either go after a cheaper option, or a guy you like in the draft

I realize it sucks for 2022, but there's no point dragging out a situation that was never going to get you there

• Like 1

Just now, Soggust said:

That one doesn't count. Todd Haley is a miserable person by all accounts including my own first-hand lol.

Point being...Baker has dug this hole himself. Should the Browns not have made the 'adult' comment? Sure (though its true). But Baker acting like his actions and level of play grant him some sort of immunity from criticism is dumb.

11 minutes ago, DontTazeMeBro said:

Pundits actually acting like it was a mistake to pursue Watson. Oh no. Their below average QB they wouldn’t commit to is unhappy. Maybe they’ll miss the playoffs for the 19th time in 20 years.

two things:

1. The mistake was getting caught with their hand int he cookie jar without being able to actually grab the cookie

2. It's weird to me that, if the Browns do view Baker as "below average" that they are unwilling to deal him.

23 minutes ago, August4th said:

Cle should offer him a 5 yr 150 mil type deal to work things out....

Browns think that is too much

Baker thinks that is too little

Which is why it's better to just end this partnership now, get the assets you can out of him, and start over

It's comical that Cleveland has said they have no plans to honor this request. They publicly humiliated the dude. He is a good, not great QB. QB wasn't this teams biggest need imo. But here they are flat out saying we don't want you as our QB, being so sure they'd land Watson and then when that blew up in their face they take the route of, suck it up because we got no one else.

It's a long offseason, Little do the Browns know, but theyre going to trade him and get rid of the distraction not doing so will cause. (Imo)

• Like 1

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Point being...Baker has dug this hole himself. Should the Browns not have made the 'adult' comment? Sure (though its true). But Baker acting like his actions and level of play grant him some sort of immunity from criticism is dumb.

Oh I agree. Actually made a post yesterday about how I didn't think he could be possibly be upset and I was 1000000% wrong lol.

I'm glad to see Browns fans on the dark side of bashing Baker after hearing excuses for him for so long.

But I will never pass up an easy opportunity to take a shot at Todd Haley haha

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

two things:

1. The mistake was getting caught with their hand int he cookie jar without being able to actually grab the cookie

2. It's weird to me that, if the Browns do view Baker as "below average" that they are unwilling to deal him.

Its a posturing thing...the same way you always want to have the last word in a argument to feel like you have 'won'.

There is a 90% chance he still gets dealt in the next 2 weeks once everybody simmers down.

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

GM Schneider worked with Scot McCloughan in the past and Scot is the scout who was very high on Baker
The other one who was allegedly interested in Baker was former GM John Dorsey, now an advisor in Detroit.

Puzzle is starting to fit. Both teams could use an upgrade at QB too. 

• Like 1