Browns to trade for QB Deshaun Watson; Agree to new contract (5yr 230M Fully GTD)

AkronsWitness

Just now, SkippyX said:

The Saints have been doing some crazy stuff.

They set it to a new level by trading for a pair of Texans but having the Texans restructure first so they ate the dead cap and NO got the cheap 1 year deal. The Saints bought about 10 million of cap space from Houston last year.

They also still had to destroy their depth with guys like Cook, Sanders, and Murray. They had to play some truly bad players instead.

THe Lions deal with Chark is a one year deal with two extra void years.  

The cap is just a little bit real, but not really.

• Like 1

This QB market is driving down his value. Why would a team give up a ton of draft capital for a question mark at QB? Now, a team will have one year to evaluate him. They will be lucky to get a 3-4th round pick. 

10 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Does there Baker trade wait until the deadline? I mean, that certainly lessens his trade value, but they may need him to start. Who would they bring in as a backup? They’d need one of the top backups. Trade for Minshew? Darnold?

Case Keenum and Nick Mullins are fine backups. If you knew anything about Baker's personality (not an attack if you don't), you would know he's not coming back to Cleveland to play a down. My guess is that he would rather sit out.

6 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I'm only asking because if I'm the Browns and the salary cap is real, then I want to eat as much guaranteed this year as possible, right?

I understand they probably didn't anticipate this, so they gotta do what they gotta do, but I think Browns are a SB caliber team in 2023+ yet would be amazed if they were a threat this year. So I was curious how a big contract would restrict them down the road.

Nah, because $50 of $208 is more damage than $50 of $235. Its why teams kick the can.

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

OKAY ILL DO ONE THEN IM DONE

Watson with a Chubb is a dangerous thing to think about.

A solid 6 out of 9. I will allow it good sir.

• Like 1

Another reminder. We here on this wonderful message board that provides us hours of entertainment and conversation are not paying Watson. We did not trade for him.

On the field he reminds me of Randall Cunningham and I did not want the Eagles to trade for him.

We don't need you to protest in front of us.

Edited by SkippyX

It's going to be nonstop allegation/suspension talk for quite some time, maybe for the life of that contract.

That would surely sour my experience every fall.

Hope it works out for Browns' fans, but that'd be a hard pass for me if you replaced Cleveland with Detroit in this scenario.

That contract is....WOW

Don't really care what we get in return because I'm sure we'll find some way to screw up the picks anyway. At least it's finally over and the Texans can move on to being bad and invisible again

• Like 2

Dear Progressive,

Please give us a funny commercial of Baker getting evicted from his 'house'

- Everyone who had to watch those commercials 1,000 times

P.S. No commercials for the new guy.

Edited by SkippyX
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, roger murdock said:

Watson has been on the Texans 5 seasons

Three of them they won exactly 4 games. 

And before everyone goes 'well two of those years he didn't play and one of those years the team sucked' 

• Being injured is bad
  • Quitting on your team is extremely bad, and not being able to play for another team because nobody will trade for you because they think you are going to jail is also extremely bad
  • The Browns are extremely bad and will undoubtably have terrible support around him before long

This. Browns just gave out the most ridiculous contract in NFL history (not counting ones given out before the rookie wage scale was put in place) to a guy who has never won anything, but put up great fantasy numbers. They did this while giving up 5 draft picks, 4 of which are premium. They blew up their cap.

Building a roster with a cheap rookie QB contract is a whole lot easier than doing it while paying that sort of money to a QB. Now they have to do it without their top picks while also making some tough salary cap decisions this year.

And they have to find a trade partner for Mayfield. If I'm the Colts, I'd make the Browns pay me to take him.

8 minutes ago, Tony7188 said:

Unbelievable! Wow, the Browns have struck gold! The now have the best QB they’ve ever had in their history

Their roster is going to fall apart (it's not as good as people think to begin with) and they're going to be in the same position as the Texans when they were winning 4 games with Mr. Fantasy Football.

Edited by CKSteeler