Browns to trade for QB Deshaun Watson; Agree to new contract (5yr 230M Fully GTD)

AkronsWitness

4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Mahomes, Herbert, Wilson, Watson, Rodgers, Brady, Allen, Jackson, Prescott, Stafford, Burrow(11)

And then Carr. Sheesh 4 of the top 12 is insane, that division is going to be amazing to watch. 

Just curious if that list was how you rank the qb’s or just to get to 11? 

7 hours ago, KingTitan said:

So many "Super Bowl or Bust" Moves from teams.
Wilson to the Broncos
Miller to Bills
Mack/ Jackson to Chargers
Brady coming back
Rams reloading

And others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

But only one will work and the rest will be a "bust?" 

Eh Broncos still got a bit of work to do, I don't expect much this year as a lot of new pieces get integrated from coaching on down.

19 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That contract screams Browns FO desperation to me. After burning the Mayfield bridge they couldn’t let Watson get away.

I like Watson, but this seems absurd.

Yea It's absurd true, but so are all these new contracts with the expanding cap

It seems like every new qb to hit the market gets something insane

Browns just did the only thing they could do to get Watson to change his mind ie that $$$

Deshaun Watson sexually assaults multiple women and most were in his home paid to give him a massage, sits a entire year and does not play football, then he gets a $48 million raise over what he was scheduled to make under his current contract?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

They're already going to have to cut some players to make room for Watson, which people don't seem to be accounting for here. 

I fail to see why anyone would have faith in the Browns regime to build a championship roster without their top picks and no longer having the luxury of having cap space to play with every year. They are now putting 20% of their cap into the QB position and almost as much into Garrett. It's a whole new ballgame. 

Watson isn't a bum, but people overestimate him and the Browns FO.

Would you at least be willing to admit that he is less of a bum (on the field) than Mitch Trubisky?

59 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Deshaun Watson sexually assaults multiple women and most were in his home paid to give him a massage, sits a entire year and does not play football, then he gets a $48 million raise over what he was scheduled to make under his current contract?

Allegedly sexually assaults.

But this is what it took to keep him from going to ATL obviously, I don’t blame the guy, can’t just scoff at generational wealth being thrown at you to play football. 

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Don’t forgot  the loophole that they made sure his base salary next year is only $1m so when he does get suspended, he won’t miss out on any money really… 

gotta get the bags ready so he can try and pay off all those ladies

2 minutes ago, iloxygenil said:

Allegedly sexually assaults.

But this is what it took to keep him from going to ATL obviously, I don’t blame the guy, can’t just scoff at generational wealth being thrown at you to play football. 

Allegedly?  There are 22 active civil suits still against him, so all these women decided to gang up on Watson to extort money from him and all lie about being sexually assaulted?  I seriously doubt that, sure if it was just one random lady but it is not.    Fact is he will get suspended for half the season if not more this up coming year, and he will most likely pay under the table and out of the media spotlight millions to end the civil suits.

The dude did exactly what he is accused of doing in my view, not sure how he did not get into some type of paid prostitution case criminally because that is what he basically did, paid these women to sexually favor him.  Either way the dude is a gamble and mentally if what he did actually occurred, mentally he must be an absolute wreck.  

He is now what the highest paid player in NFL history in many ways?  Biggest guaranteed deal ever?  Good luck with all that, and I doubt the public will just welcome him openly but people are stupid, short sighted and forget easily so maybe they will.  

Still could say no one in the history of the NFL has done what that dude did, but maybe it did happen the women just never came forward.   Still if what he is accused of is true, wow that is some Bill Cosby **** there, awful.  Sociopathic a bit, especially if it occurred, he paid them and said shut up and be quiet, then he went ahead and did it to someone else.  How is that not habitual abuse?  

• Like 1

2 things on the contract

First, it has been reported that Watson and Cleveland suspension proofed this deal since both understood that a suspension is possible/likely.  This does not mean first year salary ( but that could be a factor) It means that the normal contract invalidating / bonus recouping clauses of suspensions have been removed or voided.

Second, QB contracts are about leverage more than ability. Rodgers got 60+ a year in new money ( different ways to break it down) part of this is due to the PR war he has fought with Green Bay and the corner he put them in. 2 MVPs did not hurt either.

Dak and a Cousins used the tag to gain huge leverage on their teams so they got paid ( more than they player deserved? Maybe but not more than the savvy businessman manipulated the rules to get)

Watson had complete leverage here with the bidding war and the NTC

3 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

That contract screams Browns FO desperation to me. After burning the Mayfield bridge they couldn’t let Watson get away.

I like Watson, but this seems absurd.

I mean he is essentially getting paid what Rodgers, Mahomes and Allen are getting paid each year--only difference is his contract is fully GTD.

Which is my next question, how many of these other guys like Rodgers, Mahomes, Allen are not setup to get the full amount of their contract??

For instance, Josh Allen's contract is up to 288M with performance bonuses. Watsons is a flat 230M.

Rodgers is going to earn more per year than Watson and Allen/Mahomes are going to get more total. So barring Watson getting a career ending injury--Watsons has like the #4th highest contract among QBs. Which is right about where most people would rank him in the NFL QB wise.

So while I understand the garaunteed money is wild, I feel much more comfortable giving that to a QB and not another position--plus, it's what the Browns have to pay to get out of QB hell.

We can't all just luck up into Joe Burrow or Lamar Jackson after 2 years of sucking 😉

Edited by AkronsWitness

Math reporting in again.

let’s say Watson had a 5 million base this year instead of 1 million. ( no way it was going to be much higher for cap reasons. Don’t trust me, look at contracts and Cleveland’s cap)

In a 4 to 6 game suspension scenario he saves about 1 to 1.5 million out of 230 million. Do you really need to be upset about that? Pick your battles.

If it was 9m base then double the numbers. At 13 triple it. Is 4.5 out of 230 enough to mess with your blood pressure?

Edited by SkippyX