Root for the Browns

NateDawg

Still on board?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Did you want Watson?

2. 2. Still actively rooting for the Browns?

• Yes
    • No
    • I’m an outsider who roots for another team
    • All-22 revenge

People are going to have varying degrees of uneasiness (or lack of) with regards to acquiring Watson.  I think it's best to respect how each individual feels about it, and leave it at that.  No one can convince someone else that their feelings are invalid!  It's sorta like arguing politics these days.

Personally, I will not lose my fandom, and I don't think it's as simple as "root for the team, not the player"  It's pretty obvious some things happened that range from a misunderstanding to criminal.  Hard to fathom 22 misunderstandings btw...

I still find it exciting that the team I root for may have found themselves in a position to be successful moving forward.  

If they aren't.....then all of this will have been for naught!

18 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The difference between Watson/Ben situations is that I feel like it's wildly known the majority of Browns fans are uneasy with the decision while Steelers fans tried to defend Ben....and still do.

I don't think anybody on here is defending Watson for his accusations

2 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Well, there are plenty of registered sex offenders out there who have never actually raped anyone.  

On a scale of 0-10 (ewww-rape) for sexual assault, the stuff I read sound like a 2, pretty ewwwwww, but not rape.  

Season 3 What GIF by Paramount+

2 hours ago, Reginaldm9 said:

I’m a teacher and my room is completely decorated in Browns stuff. I’ve got jerseys up, team decals, mementos from games I’ve been to. My classroom looks like a library sports bar.

I’m not so sure I can keep all of those decorations up now. A likely sexual predator was just awarded a massive contract by the team I have loved and likely will always love, but I can’t have my students think that this is a decision I support or that this move should be celebrated. I’m on spring break now, but I’ll need to go in and complete a remodel here in the coming week. 

I don’t think I’m strong enough to not watch the games. It’s the sunken cost fallacy at this point. I want to walk away as a person who should serve as a role model. I want to tell my wife that I can’t throw away my convictions for entertainment, but I don’t think I can do it. I’m one of those people who said I couldn’t root for a Deshaun Watson led team, and I know I can’t. But I can’t also just not see what’s going on. 

It’s been a rough week to be a Browns fan, because I’ve figured out that I don’t have the ability to flip this off like a light switch. This is all a bunch of lame rambling, but I feel like I’m in Cleveland Browns purgatory. It’s a place where winning will bring me no joy so there’s kind of no point in watching? Idk…

Well said

I’m going to take some time to reflect on it. I’ve threatened to quit this organization countless times and probably should have long ago. Unfortunately it’s not as simple as that. This morning my 3 daughters came out while I had the TV turned on, while the talking heads were talking Browns and Watsons picture flashed on the screen, and they excitedly asked me when the Browns were going to play again. I could not give them an answer.

I can say that I’m unsure of whether I am going to have a soft boycott and not buy any more Browns gear, nor will I wear any memorabilia to work anymore for identical reasons that @Reginaldm9 mentioned.

I can say that if Watson led Browns ever win a title, it definitely won’t give me the same satisfaction or pleasure that it otherwise would have.

TBH, this whole thing is a microcosm of why I don’t value athletes or celebrities at all and only care about whether or not they entertain me. Charles Barkley was spot on with his “I am not a role model” commercial message. LeBron is a social justice warrior who refuses to stand up for China because it impacts his pocket and then excitedly tweets out about Watson. He’s a meme and so are 90% of other athletes and celebrities.

To be honest, evaluating these things in light of my beliefs means I might actually be able to root for the Browns while not caring about any of these dooosh canoes because a ton of them are inherently worthless to society, just like our owner.

Or else I might just become a Bills fan. They’ve always been my second favorite team.

I think I’m 70/30 leaning Browns but undecided.

• Like 2

Watson hasn’t had his opportunity to tell his side of the story fully yet because of the legal situation 

before anyone makes any final decisions at least hear the guy out. 

he hasn’t even had a chance to apologize 

it’s going to take a few months but let everything play out before anyone makes a final decision is all I’d recommend. He hasn’t had a chance to show remorse yet. 

look how Vick rehabbed his image. Deshaun is at step one. Allow the FO and Deshaun their side I’d say before making any final decision. To me any other opinion is a rush to judgement and unfair to Deshaun. There’s always two sides and we’ve only been able to hear one.

Edited by brownie man

As the Father of three grown daughters (one of whom was assaulted), and with five sisters and numerous nieces, I can never root for this guy in good conscience.  I have been a fan of the Browns since before they last won a Championship so hard to quit them, but I might find myself having to do so.  I am weighing cancelling my NFL Sunday ticket and just freeing up my Sundays to be honest.

I will follow the legalities of his case and see what the NFL decides to do as to his punishment. With that many charges against him I believe some things must have happened to several of those women. I am also not naive enough to realize that some of the 22 accusers probably jumped on the bandwagon (so to speak) with hopes of a payday. 

• Like 2

If anyone chooses to not root for the Browns, so be it.

However...............if you are currently a fan of the NFL, and currently a Browns fan................if you no longer want to root for the Browns, yet are still a fan of the NFL, that enters hypocritical territory real fast.

8 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

However...............if you are currently a fan of the NFL, and currently a Browns fan................if you no longer want to root for the Browns, yet are still a fan of the NFL, that enters hypocritical territory real fast.

Excellent )

The Browns are still much weaker team after this.

Baltimore drafts Jordan davis we face Davis for the next 10 years.

Pittsburgh drafts Jameson they get a hof wr for 10 years.

Cincinnati drafts Charlie cross the y are set on the line for a long time.

The Browns first pick we have to skip every injured player that has a 1st round grade Because they need someone now to play.

There will be a excellent dt but with a 30th rankedwr receiving core we have to draft   a healthy wr.

Because we will easily have the weakest wr core in the Afc north

Biggest worry we go 8 wins 8 losses

Jimmy truck stop fires Berry and stefanski hires back Lombardi,Banner,and hue

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brownie man said:

Watson hasn’t had his opportunity to tell his side of the story fully yet because of the legal situation 

“yeah like I said, my junk just popped out of my underwear and flopped on her hand 22 separate times.  I was just as shocked as you”.

jfc…

before anyone makes any final decisions at least hear the guy out. 

david spade comedy GIF

he hasn’t even had a chance to apologize 

I can’t even tell if you’re being serious right now 

it’s going to take a few months but let everything play out before anyone makes a final decision is all I’d recommend. He hasn’t had a chance to show remorse yet. 

look how Vick rehabbed his image. Deshaun is at step one. Allow the FO and Deshaun their side I’d say before making any final decision. To me any other opinion is a rush to judgement and unfair to Deshaun. There’s always two sides and we’ve only been able to hear one.

Ah, solid point.  I mean, even Mike Vick can own a dog again.

No Way Abandon Thread GIF

• Like 1

14 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I’ve maintained throughout brownie man’s pre-Nostradamus phase that I didn’t want Deshaun Watson. As many (or maybe even the majority) also did not. For obvious reasons. 

What I did not ever say is that I would no longer root for the Browns if they got him. Certainly I’m conflicted and disgusted. If a player does something ridiculous, and you cut him, you only prove that if you are good enough, character concerns don’t matter. As an organization this move has set such poor example in so many ways. 

My boys are 6, 4, and 2. My oldest two have just started getting into sports. They love football and I intend to enjoy the same experiences with them that I grew up enjoying with my dad. I’m not going to rob them of being a Browns fan (how considerate, right?). Watson could be here ten years, you just take that away from yourself and your kids, while that guy continues his celebrity unaffected regardless? I will not. 

I will root for the Browns, always, and Watson’s success because it will be my teams. I will enjoy if we ever win our first super bowl. Because I’ve been a Browns fan since before Deshaun was a twinkle in his papa’s eye, and because I deserve to enjoy a Browns Super Bowl as a fan more than he does as an athlete. I will, begrudgingly listen to other fanbases give us the Big Ben/Ray Lewis treatment. Because they are right, and this is damn shameful and embarrassing. I’ll gladly continue to teach my boys right and wrong and watch Deshaun for what he is, as most of the players are: entertainers and not role models. 

Respect, wherever you all fall. My hunch is those who have already threatened not to root for the Browns will realize they are only robbing themselves though. Maybe not today, but some day. 

This is going to be a fun team to watch once their QB1 is eligible. Can honestly say this is the first time I’ve seen our depth chart and believed we are not just a playoff contender but a Super Bowl contender. We will continue to get better from here I have a hunch. 

Excellent post Nate 

This is your best post ever.

To tell you my reaction not going to Vegas this year.

Not buying anything that benefits are owner.

20 to 80 against buying nfl Sunday ticket.

Personally hoping come 1 September they suspend him for 2 years and attendance drops 50 percent .

• Like 2

Well since I didn’t want them to trade for him I get to be the bitter fan. Which is not who I am. My problem is that I was a fan of the Browns, when we sucked I still watched and rooted for the team and players. 

Now I get to act like every problem this team has I get to blame Watson and every good thing that happens I get to say it wasn’t 100% him.  

Also maybe being insufferable will be a good thing.  I think I’ll start 10 threads every time he misses a pass or losses a game.  Since it will be his fault 100% of the time. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

That's a stretch.

What's hypocritical is defending or reasoning Watson if you ever said anything negative about Roethlisberger.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, JDD said:

Well since I didn’t want them to trade for him I get to be the bitter fan. Which is not who I am. My problem is that I was a fan of the Browns, when we sucked I still watched and rooted for the team and players. 

Now I get to act like every problem this team has I get to blame Watson and every good thing that happens I get to say it wasn’t 100% him.  

Also maybe being insufferable will be a good thing.  I think I’ll start 10 threads every time he misses a pass or losses a game.  Since it will be his fault 100% of the time. 

Yeah if he fails a comeback attempt we're all over it. If he turns it over twice in a game he is garbage. If his tackles suck and he is sacked at 9.3% it's his fault.

• Like 2