Eagles Training Camp Thread

Kiltman

Johnson is routinely becoming a name that shows up in the standouts section of my notes. Alshon Jeffery was given the day off on Tuesday which meant more reps for Johnson.

The second-year wideout added a few deep catches to his steadily growing highlight reel from training camp. Johnson made an over the shoulder catch on a go route from Wentz during team period.

Johnson made another deep catch during 7 on 7 when he beat Patrick Robinson at the line to get a free release up the field and ran a skinny post. He caught a bullet from Wentz along the hash marks just before McLeod could get to the ball.

53 minutes ago, Phire said:

Johnson is routinely becoming a name that shows up in the standouts section of my notes. Alshon Jeffery was given the day off on Tuesday which meant more reps for Johnson.

The second-year wideout added a few deep catches to his steadily growing highlight reel from training camp. Johnson made an over the shoulder catch on a go route from Wentz during team period.

Johnson made another deep catch during 7 on 7 when he beat Patrick Robinson at the line to get a free release up the field and ran a skinny post. He caught a bullet from Wentz along the hash marks just before McLeod could get to the ball.

TC WRs tearing it up are no new thing....This year is Marcus Johnson, Last year it was Paul Turner tearing it up, The year before that it was Rasheed Bailey, the year before that....

I feel like these stories never go anywhere.

9 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

TC WRs tearing it up are no new thing....This year is Marcus Johnson, Last year it was Paul Turner tearing it up, The year before that it was Rasheed Bailey, the year before that....

You are most certainly not wrong. But one of these have to amount to something eventually, right?

2 hours ago, Hockey5djh said:

One difference between Johnson and them is that he ran a 4.39 at his pro day, while Turner ran a 4.55 and Bailey ran a 4.61.

I'm not getting too hype over Johnson by any means, but it is nice that our guys battling it out to be the 6th/last WR are performing really well.

Depth is a wonderful thing.

Wendell Smallwood really took advantage of the absences of Blount and Pumphrey. The 2016 fifth-round pick looked fast and ran hard. He was helped by good run blocking, of course, but he did his part as well. Smallwood picked up a big gain with a no-nonsense run that featured him trucking Terrence Brooks (who isn’t a lightweight by any means). Smallwood also looked good on a screen play drawn up for him. I feel like Corey Clement, who’s also looked good in camp, will have an uphill battle unseating Smallwood.

If Blount goes down we are going to need him to step in and take on a bigger role, so I like hearing this.

Read an article that he is in better shape, more focused, and ready than he was as a rookie which is to be expected. 

Hopefully he keeps running hard. He didn't strike me as a guy that will break many tackles or be that creative of a runner.

Backup offensive tackle Dillon Gordon had a great camp last year, earning a spot as a tight end converted into a tackle, a la Jason Peters. He is having another really impressive camp this year too. Gordon had a number of battles against Derek Barnett, and won them all, from what I saw. He also was put to the test against Fletcher Cox, on one occasion in which Cox lined up at DE. Gordon neutralized him with ease after getting a strong punch into Cox's chest.

There's little question Gordon is going to wrap up a roster spot, and he may have more of a role on this year's squad, specifically as the sixth lineman on the field in jumbo sets.

Gordon was a guy you could definitely see potential in, but he was just so raw as he was a tight end in college. 

Peters has been taking the former SEC tight end under his wing a bit.

Sounds like whatever he's learning from him is being put to good use.

Barnett has struggled, losing the majority of his one-on-one matchups. I'm not sure quite yet what to make of that. On the one hand, I have not often seen him utilize his dip around the edge, which was his bread and butter in college, and a truly elite move for him. It appears as though he has been working on developing his other pass rush moves, like a pitcher throwing only curve balls in a spring training game. That would be rare for a rookie if that's indeed his game plan.

Still, the other moves have not been working, for the most part. I will note that Barnett did beat Isaac Seumalo on a nice swim move to the inside.

I wasn't the biggest supporter of picking Barnett, but this shouldn't be reason to panic, especially since its pointed out that he isn't really using his bend to win which was his go-to. 

It's good that Barnett is trying to hone a couple other moves like the swim, spin, and so on. 

He's not instantly going to be great at his other moves, but he needs to have those tools in his bag, otherwise tackles will be able to sit on and take away his speed rush.

One area I think Barnett really needs to improve is his strength. Too often it sounds like he is getting stalemated when he tries to bull rush an offensive lineman. That's why it will probably take a year or two in the weight room before we really see him make an impact and play a lot of snaps. It's a good thing we have the depth and don't need him to step in day 1.

One guy who doesn't look terrible is Taylor Hart, who converted from 3-4 defensive end to right tackle. My apologies for the back-handed compliment. I have to watch him a little more to really get a better read on if he legitimately has any shot of making the team as an offensive lineman, but he's been much better than I would have projected.

If Stoutland turns Hart into a nice back-up tackle, then he deserves a raise!

Jordan Matthews doesn't look like Jordan Matthews. Back in the Chip Kelly days, Matthews was as energetic a practice player as I've ever seen. He'd make catch after catch after catch, often sprinting the length of the field for a score. He was so energetic, in fact, that Kelly had to tell Matthews to chill out a bit.

This year's Jordan Matthews is extremely lethargic, by comparison. He's simply not the same energetic practice player he once was.

I wonder if the bolded is cause Matthews is coming off an injury and the coaches don't want him going too hard too soon. 

It wouldn't surprise me if Matthews is a little bummed that he's going into his final year with no contract. He could be sensing his time is up here. 

Well, they are doing live hitting. Even if this is just a phantom injury, I don't need Alshon out there with a 5th string CB with something to prove. And frankly, as Alshon is betting on himself this year on that 1 year contract, I can see him not wanting to take unwarranted risks. 

Archived