DC Movie Universe

devils1854

51 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I know you've always been partial to Keaton's Batman but I'm not a fan of this list at all. The Batman behind BvS? BB behind Batman? Batman Returns ahead of Dark Knight? I just don't agree at all. 

BvS isn’t great by any means but the sequence of Batman saving Clark’s mom in the warehouse is arguably the greatest Batman sequence ever put to film. That alone blows away anything in The Batman and puts it ahead by default. I can watch that sequence over and over and over again. I can’t even remember a memorable sequence in The Batman that’s how mid it was. 

Yes, Keaton is the best Batman by far.  But the movie’s Gotham City is the greatest character of all the films. It looks like a city terrifying enough to need such a vigilante.  Nolan’s Gotham City looks too clean and nice most of the time. My block that I lived at in Akron was scarier lol. The Batman, BvS and Joker all have vastly superior versions of G.C. than Nolan’s as well.  Nicholson’s Joker is better than Liam Neeson’s Ras.  Vicki Vale is better than Rachel Dawes.  There are a few other reasons that separate them in the 1-2 slots but I do like Batman Begins a lot which is why it’s the only other film in the same tier with Batman. Also, Batman was a cultural phenomenon.  A zeitgeist of the highest degree and still one of the best movie theater experiences I’ve ever had.  There would be no other of the comic book films without it.

TDK is by far the most overrated comic book movie of all time with numerous, egregious problems in it that I’ve broken down multiple times on this board over the years.  Incredible first act.  Middling 2nd act.  Terrible final act. The Scorpion King level CGI (bad!) for all of Two Face’s scenes that can take you completely out of the suspension of disbelief. The laughably bad ferry boat sequence.  Lucius being completely outraged at Batman wanting to illegally use technology to locate the Joke but he had no issue helping him kidnap & abduct a foreign citizen from a sovereign nation lmao.  And the stupidest of them all, Batman taking the rap for what Harvey did instead of blaming it on Joker which then created a foundation of styrofoam peanuts for the sequel to be built on.  And that’s just some of the problems it has lol. Heath Ledger was extraordinary as Joker but it’s not enough to cover all the warts.  And if you guys think it’s funny postulating about the casting of Reed Richards, Lex Luthor, etc these days, you’d die laughing at just how badly the choice of Ledger was at the time.  90%+ of ppl HATED the casting.  Sure, everybody changed their tune after it came out but I remember the message boards of sites like Wizard magazine where ppl lost their damn minds over it.  I championed him bcuz I saw just how dark he went in Monster’s Ball but I was in the extremely tiny minority and caught hell for it lol. Good times. 

Last but not least, Michelle Pfeifer’s Catwoman was perfection. Danny Devito’s Penguin was amazing.  And as much as I like Michael Caine, his Alfred is the worst of them all (Jeremy Irons is my favorite fwiw).  Give me Batman Returns overTDK/TDKR every time.  

4 hours ago, 43M said:

I don't think it was a "swing and miss", but there are ALOT of people who didn't like The Batman, or Pattinson's portrayal of him.

I enjoyed it for what it was and thought Pattinson did well (except his Bruce Wayne, but that was an issue with direction  and writing IMO), but its definitely nowhere close to my favorite version of the character.

I could see the 2nd movie doing worse than the first....especially if they use that awful Joker from the deleted scenes.

I mean there is no objective way it can be classified a dud. The Bruce Wayne complaint is about as braindead of a take as there is because the story and reasoning were as obvious as it gets (not saying you fall into that camp). I get the Joker concern though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mox said:

I mean there is no objective way it can be classified a dud. The Bruce Wayne complaint is about as braindead of a take as there is because the story and reasoning were as obvious as it gets (not saying you fall into that camp). I get the Joker concern though.

Never said it was a dud, and dont believe Pattinson was the reason for any of the movies issues.    I just get why some didnt like it (even though I did), and I could see Batman 2 being less successful than the first.   No way it bombs, but I could definitely see it disappointing at the box office.   

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

BvS isn’t great by any means but the sequence of Batman saving Clark’s mom in the warehouse is arguably the greatest Batman sequence ever put to film. That alone blows away anything in The Batman and puts it ahead by default. I can watch that sequence over and over and over again. I can’t even remember a memorable sequence in The Batman that’s how mid it was. 

I agree with the bolded, but Id personally watch The Batman 100x's over BvS if we're talking the ENTIRE film.   BvS was one of the most aggravating and poorly thought out scripts Ive ever seen.   The character motivations and the actions they took based on said motivations were so incredibly stupid, it probably would've made more sense if it was written by Tommy Wiseau.   He actually probably did write the "Martha" scene.  B|

Even though Whedons Justice League was significantly worse IMO, BvS is the movie I believe killed the long term potential of the DCEU....from shoehorning in several characters that shouldnt have been there to the laughable forced Death of Superman angle.

The Batman wasnt perfect, but I didnt feel dumber after watching it, at least.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 43M said:

Never said it was a dud, and dont believe Pattinson was the reason for any of the movies issues.    I just get why some didnt like it (even though I did), and I could see Batman 2 being less successful than the first.   No way it bombs, but I could definitely see it disappointing at the box office.   

I was referring to the original comment from Thrill

• 4 weeks later...
3 hours ago, INbengalfan said:

Interesting twist.  Matt Reeves' Arkham Asylum set in the new DCU, not in the Elseworlds universe The Batman is set in.

https://deadline.com/2023/12/dc-studios-james-gunn-matt-reeves-batman-arkham-series-1235671039/

Yeah, it's weird. 

The good new is it allows for a lot more to go on and see a lot more of the less grounded rogues gallery.

And… to the shock of no one, Aquaman 2 is getting a critical drubbing after the review embargo just lifted.

6FIA1Nn.jpg

EbwtvjM.jpg

So a movie that had multiple delays, rewrites and reshoots, a review embargo lifting the day before it comes out and terrible test screenings from a dead franchise laden with miscues is bad? Shocker.

I’m most definitely not gonna open my wallet for this movie now.

Edited by KManX89

On 12/21/2023 at 3:21 PM, KManX89 said:

And… to the shock of no one, Aquaman 2 is getting a critical drubbing after the review embargo just lifted.

6FIA1Nn.jpg

EbwtvjM.jpg

So a movie that had multiple delays, rewrites and reshoots, a review embargo lifting the day before it comes out and terrible test screenings from a dead franchise laden with miscues is bad? Shocker.

I’m most definitely not gonna open my wallet for this movie now.

😄

RIP Snyderverse.

You....existed.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:30 PM, MikeT14 said:

So why not just rope the whole thing in? The movie was pretty damn good.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:43 PM, Mox said:

Because Reeves said no.

Also because Robert Pattinson is a shrimp and Batman is not.

The Batman was not and is not as good as everyone says it is. We're 15 years on and Batman Begins still has a higher IMDB rating than The Batman.

The Batman was a fine movie, but Pattinson is not Bruce Wayne and he certainly isn't Batman.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MacReady said:

Also because Robert Pattinson is a shrimp and Batman is not.

The Batman was not and is not as good as everyone says it is. We're 15 years on and Batman Begins still has a higher IMDB rating than The Batman.

The Batman was a fine movie, but Pattinson is not Bruce Wayne and he certainly isn't Batman.

Well, we haven't seen him try to be Bruce Wayne yet, so he very well could be.