2022 NFL Draft Discussion Thread (NO SPOILERS!!!)

CWood21

1 hour ago, Isherwood said:

I’m not going to pretend that I would not have very much liked a first round WR, BUT:

- drafting defense early is always a good thing. Building a top defense is taking your medicine and it takes discipline. 

- it was truly humiliating watching the typical teams fall over themselves to acquire WRs in that little run between 8-18. Olave at #11?? Overall??? Jahan Dotson at freaking 16th overall? You must be joking. That’s insanely rich, and mediocre teams will stay mediocre

I'm inclined to agree with you -- but I think it's fair to say that a lot of the trading and movement we've seen in this draft has been the result of NFL teams wrestling with the new wide receiver market.  Teams like the Titans, Packers, and Chiefs have been sticking with the valuation they've put on the position for years.  And these are successful teams!  They're coming from a place of sticking with what works.

My one worry is that, if the wide receiver market in the NFL has permanently changed, it may also be appropriate for teams to change their approach to the position.  I'm not saying that's definitively the case -- only time will tell which teams responded correctly to this new WR market.  What Rodgers was saying last night about the bust rate for WRs in Round One also looms large in my mind -- it may make more sense to take multiple shots at pass catchers later on, and Green Bay certainly has the ammunition to do so.

Here's hoping for Trey McBride and a WR in Round 2!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

gross

You think Reagor is that bad? Half the board wanted him coming out. To be honest I really haven't seen him play enough to access his value, would love more insight on him. I think Hurts is terrible and can't throw the  deep ball  which is Reagors strength. I look at Reagor as an MVS type.

Just now, St Vince said:

You think Reagor is that bad? Half the board wanted him coming out. To be honest I really haven't seen him play enough to access his value, would love more insight on him. I think Hurts is terrible and can't throw the  deep ball  which is Reagors strength. I look at Reagor as an MVS type.

From the little I've read from Eagles fans and others who know about him, I've gotten the impression that he's lazy as hell and not as fast as he used to be.  I admittedly don't have any first-hand knowledge about him because I haven't watched him, but from what I've heard from some of the Eagles fans on here he's pretty bad.  They're clamoring for the Eagles FO to get him out of town for anything they can get.  I don't think he'd even be worth considering personally, but I guess if they wanted to flip a 7th for him to see if a change of scenery would do him some good then maybe.

In  keeping with annual tradition, I didn't love last night's picks as they were made, but feel better about them after sleeping on it.  I sure don't hate what Gute is putting together on the defensive side.  Now it's a matter of whether these guys can actually play.

I'll be disappointed if no WR is added tonight. 

7 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I'll be honest.  I kind of hope that the Packers never take a WR in the first round again for the lifetime of the franchise.

I think you are seeing a transition in progress.  Going from throwing the ball all over the yard to a defensive minded, power running team.  Eventually, you won't need a top QB and top WRs to win.  It's great to have them, but its also where your money goes.  You will always need good players in those positions, but can win without HOF level talent in those spots.

Edited by NFLGURU

USA Today Mocking the second round of the 2022 NFL draft

33. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (via the Jacksonville Jaguars): Travis Jones, IDL, Connecticut
34. Minnesota Vikings (via the Detroit Lions): Arnold Ebiketie, EDGE, Penn State
35. Tennessee Titans (via the New York Jets): Nik Bonitto, EDGE, Oklahoma
36. New York Giants: Andrew Booth Jr., CB, Clemson
37. Houston Texans: Skyy Moore, WR, Western Michigan
38. New York Jets (via the Carolina Panthers): Nakobe Dean, LB, Georgia
39. Chicago Bears: George Pickens, WR, Georgia
40. Seattle Seahawks (via the Denver Broncos): Malik Willis, QB, Liberty
41. Seattle Seahawks: Josh Paschal, EDGE, Kentucky
42. Indianapolis Colts (via the Washington Commanders): Kyle Gordon, CB, Washington
43. Atlanta Falcons: Desmond Ridder, QB, Cincinnati
44. Cleveland Browns: John Metchie III, WR, Alabama
45. Baltimore Ravens: Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State
46. Detroit Lions (via the Minnesota Vikings): Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn
47. New England Patriots (via the Washington Commanders): Leo Chenal, LB, Wisconsin
48. Chicago Bears (via the Los Angeles Chargers): Bernard Raimann, OT, Central Michigan
49. New Orleans Saints: Sam Howell, QB, UNC
50. Kansas City Chiefs (via the Miami Dolphins): Alec Pierce, WR, Cincinnati
51. Philadelphia Eagles: Chad Muma, LB, Wyoming
52. Pittsburgh Steelers: Abraham Lucas, OT, Washington State
53. Green Bay Packers (via the Las Vegas Raiders): Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama
Similar to the Kansas City Chiefs, the departure of Davante Adams coupled with a pair of selections in the first round led many to believe the Green Bay Packers would add a receiver at some point Thursday night. Instead, the organization doubled up on Georgia defenders, adding Quay Walker at linebacker and Devonte Wyatt on the defensive line. They add the receiver on Friday night, selecting Jalen Tolbert from South Alabama.Tolbert is an older prospect, which is usually not where the Packers trend with selections, but having broken that mold with Wyatt they do so again. Tolbert has the speed, frame and catch radius to live on the outside, and offers play-making skills in the vertical passing game that were lost with the Adams trade.

54. Washington Commanders (via the New England Patriots): Dylan Parham, IOL, Memphis
55. Arizona Cardinals: DeMarvin Leal, DL, Texas A&M
56: Dallas Cowboys: Brian Asamoah, LB, Oklahoma
57. Buffalo Bills: Breece Hall, RB, Iowa State
58. Atlanta Falcons (via the Tennessee Titans): Boye Mafe, EDGE, Minnesota
59. Green Bay Packers: Jaquan Brisker, S, Penn State
Safety is not an immediate need for the Green Bay Packers, given the presence of both Darnell Savage and Adrian Amos on the roster. But with Savage hitting free agency for 2023, and 2023 being a void year for Amos, preparing for the future is a wise move for the organization. Jaquan Brisker is a solid safety who can play in a number of roles, have seen time down in the box, in the slot and even as a deep safety. That versatility, coupled with his ability to handle tight ends and serve as a matchup-eraser on the defensive side of the ball, makes him a good fit for the Packers in not just 2022, but beyond. And our own Doug Farrar compared him to Adrian Amos, so, yeah.

60. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: David Ojabo, EDGE, Michigan
61. San Francisco 49ers: Marquis Hayes, IOL, Oklahoma
62. Kansas City Chiefs: Phidarian Mathis, DL, Alabama
63. Cincinnati Bengals: Trey McBride, TE, Colorado State
64. Denver Broncos (via the Los Angeles Rams): Jalen Pitre, DB, Baylor

51 minutes ago, St Vince said:

I'm sorry, but trading a SRP for Reagor is an awful idea.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, jleisher said:

Walker at #22 was a surprise.  Don't worry Rodgers, round #2 still has a lot of WR talent.

I hear they caught wind that Jacksonville really wanted him so they took him at 22 instead of 28. The Jags traded up for Lloyd right after. They needed to replace Jack in the middle.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm sorry, but trading a SRP for Reagor is an awful idea.

To be honest I didn't see him play in the pros, didn't catch many eagles games since he was drafted. I'm mostly going off his college career tape and how the board had him in many of their mocks.