2022 NFL Draft Talk (No Spoiler allowed until Day 3)

JetsandI

This team is no longer devoid of talent.  There is legitimate areas where we stack up with the better units in the league.  You can say areas like OL, DL, CB, RB, WR, TE where we have a case for top 10 units.

Only problem is we are counting on youth in some of those areas for which there are always growing pains.

This puts a ton of pressure on Zack but right now there are very few areas where we have major concerns outside of QB.

The roster is in place to support him he just needs to take that next step and we legitimately have a shot at the playoffs.  We've been waiting so long to have a talented roster where if a star becomes available 1 or 2 big moves can push us into contenders.  I think we may be there.

There is a ton riding on the progress of Zack this year because the team around him is no longer a burden to his development.

• Like 1

Separate thought:

Yes we had extra capital from trades, but if the class works out well, JD may have changed the way the league looks at the draft.  Trade up and get 4-5 guys as opposed to drafting 10+ and hoping they hit.

I think going forward we will see this a lot, especially if we are talented with few holes.  1/1/3 or 1/2/2 something like that and barely have Day 3 picks.

3 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Separate thought:

Yes we had extra capital from trades, but if the class works out well, JD may have changed the way the league looks at the draft.  Trade up and get 4-5 guys as opposed to drafting 10+ and hoping they hit.

I think going forward we will see this a lot, especially if we are talented with few holes.  1/1/3 or 1/2/2 something like that and barely have Day 3 picks.

Iv always said this for the last decade. Trade up!! Get the better players. Fill out the roster with young hungry cheaper players. 

We’ve seen how having bucket loads of picks has done for us in the past. Never really amounted to much. I would MUCH rather attack the draft  and get the players we need in. 

All the wheeling and dealing meant us winning the draft. If we would of stood still and drafted where we were to start the draft we would of had more draftees but less potential for success. 

Edited by KimuraGod

To be honest, JD is building this roster so well that it doesn't matter if ZW makes a big leap or not. We're still challenging teams. If Wilson doesn't improve, we can plug a vet QB in and get the same results the Titans did when they added Tannehill. 

I do think Wilson will prove he is a franchise QB, but if he doesn't, we'll figure it out.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Separate thought:

I think when you’re cap strapped trading back and grabbing some depth is helpful. We were in prime position both asset wise and cap wise to be aggressive and I’m glad Joe handled it that way.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Separate thought:

I feel like we said the same after Tannenbaum did the same in the late 00s. 

Ultimately, you’re going to need some balance. Douglas was able to be aggressive this year because of the depth he acquired over the last few years. All 10 picks from last year should still be on the team this year, as well as the seven from this year. At a certain point, you don’t have the roster space to draft 10 players every year and need to add in some more high level talent. 

30 minutes ago, NewAge said:

I feel like we said the same after Tannenbaum did the same in the late 00s. 

Ultimately, you’re going to need some balance. Douglas was able to be aggressive this year because of the depth he acquired over the last few years. All 10 picks from last year should still be on the team this year, as well as the seven from this year. At a certain point, you don’t have the roster space to draft 10 players every year and need to add in some more high level talent. 

Biggest difference between that Rex/Tanny team was that the homegrown players were all getting big money (Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris etc) and then we were trading/signing vets like Bray, Holmes, Cromartie. 

So eventually we were going to find it difficult. This team however is built from the bottom up and won’t have those issues until much further down the line. And even then I think JD will keep adding talent just like the Ravens, Steelers etc

• Like 1

When you had a roster as bad as ours was, you needed a draft with multiple picks like last year. Most of those guys were asked to play significant roles as rookies, we had 5th and 6th round picks starting or playing significant roles. 

Now after that class has NFL experience and we know some of them can play and fill in as role players and signing some vital FA that filled holes. We were able to go for the playmakers and premium positions to hopefully get cornerstone studs. 

We were set up to make a move to be aggressive and grab a RB who has a legit chance to be a star. This offense that has been pathetic for years now has a real chance to be extremely fun to watch. Hall and Carter are going to be a dynamic tandem at RB.  Then we have the playmakers at WR. This team added athletic players who are going to make defenses feel uncomfortable. 

I think Zach Wilson will break out, he has talented guys around him. The NFL seemed to slow down for him as the season went on, just the players around him became trash.  Adding big body TEs are going to be big for his development, our TE room doesn't have a star but it has good pros. Ruckert has the upside to be a stud. 

The defense should be improved, when Saleh had his best defenses it was always having a stud DL that could get after the QB. Our DL has a good amount of depth and upside. 

Let's take a look at two of the top graded drafts last year that were similar to the Jets:

Jacksonville

-Trevor was solid, Etienne out for the year, Campell (I don't know), Walker Little, Andre Cisco (good from what I saw)

Dolphins

-Waddle, Phillips and Holland are great pieces, not sure how Eichenberg and Long are looking now

Hmm a lot of drafts were graded out B+/A.  Many teams had solid rookie contributions.  Jets were B/B+ and had one of the better classes.  Barring injuries, I think this class can have an impact like Miami, not Jacksonville.  And should be better than last year with the upside of these players.

Now it is all on Wilson. If he tanks time to move on. 

I'm not happy with Zeppa going to the Pats. I think in a few years he will be starting over Mac. Mac is not that good and is a glorified game manager. 

When you get 4 of the top 11 players in the draft your team has to improve. This is pretty rare you see a team make a hall like this. 

Depth is impressive this year as well. Offense is obviously where we needed the biggest leap and we not only added great starting talent. But we have depth now.

RB: Hall, Carter, Coleman

WR: Davis, Moore, Wilson, Berrios, Mims

TE: Uzi, Conklin, Ruckert

When Wilson seemed to progress last year post injury… he had no weapons. This roster is now set up where even if a couple guys get injured… he still has talent out there.

35 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Depth is impressive this year as well. Offense is obviously where we needed the biggest leap and we not only added great starting talent. But we have depth now.

RB: Hall, Carter, Coleman

WR: Davis, Moore, Wilson, Berrios, Mims

TE: Uzi, Conklin, Ruckert

When Wilson seemed to progress last year post injury… he had no weapons. This roster is now set up where even if a couple guys get injured… he still has talent out there.

I agree but i would not put Mims in there. I don't think he is that good. i think we got burned on this pick. I would have moved him for a draft pick next year.