Day 1 Draft Thread (No Spoilers)

Ragnarok

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Not sure where you're going with this...

If you expected player x to be your LB 2 to be drafted 2nd for a pro job and the other guy who you did not like as much for some reason was the All-American while your dude was not then yes, you do not get it.

Dean

Was 

The 

Better

College

LB

Edited by SkippyX

Just now, SkippyX said:

If you expected player x to be your LB 2 to be drafted 2nd for a pro job and the other guy who you did not like as much for some reason was the All-American while your dude was not then yes, you do not get it.

Did we just not see Travon Walker go #1 overall?  Or am I living in a fantasy world?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Did we just not see Travon Walker go #1 overall?  Or am I living in a fantasy world?

Okay. But just because player A gets chosen first overall, does not make player B going over player C at a completely different position a better pick by default. Both Travon and Quay could end up being bad picks. Or just Quay while Travon succeeds. It's not apples to apples.

2 minutes ago, SkippyX said:

You don't get the basic concept.

College football and pro football are not the same thing.

Ask Brady Quinn to explain it.

No.  Your logic is because he's not an All First Team Conference or whatever, he's a bad pick.  You evaluate traits. Not accolades.  If you can't see that, that's fine.

Sometimes the pro projections are dead wrong.

See Giovani Carmazzi's toolset and ability vs Tom Brady as a fantastic college QB with theoretical limited athleticism.

The Packers liked the total package and future projection of Walker more than Dean or they needed his role more than Dean's. None of that can go back in time and change the way they both played in college as LBs.

2 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Imagine trading from 12 to 32 for almost nothing

less than nothing. they gave up about 200 points on the pick value scale.

There were some really strange trade downs tonight.

I am guessing that lots of teams wanted 1 of 10 guys or 1 of 14 guys and when they were gone they jumped at the first chance despite value.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

No Willis is surprising, no? I thought for sure a team would trade up to get a 5th year option for him.

I've already had this conversation elsewhere. People keep bringing up this 5th year option. I just don't think it's the thing that draftniks like to think it is.

You take the best player available. If you don't think Willis is it, don't force it. That's how you get fired the quickest.

On top of that, look at the money #1 CBs or WRs are getting now. I'm saying you can make the same argument in trading up for one of those. 

Edited by RTTRUTH