With the 16th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft, the Washington Commanders select Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

MikeT14

What grade do you give the pick and trade?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Grade the trade. #11 for #16, #98, #120

2. 2. Grade the pick at #16 - Jahan Dotson

I am trying so hard to like this pick but I just can't get over the players they passed on to do this. This reminds me of the Jamin Davis pick so much. Not because the players are comparable but because there were better players available and they chose an opposite route. Just baffled by this entire draft to be honest. 

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I am trying so hard to like this pick but I just can't get over the players they passed on to do this. This reminds me of the Jamin Davis pick so much. Not because the players are comparable but because there were better players available and they chose an opposite route. Just baffled by this entire draft to be honest. 

Yep.  In the end you could have a draft like we had or you could have drafted potential stars like #11 Hamilton, #47 Willis, etc.  That is what we are going to look back and wonder.

I just wish if they were going to trade down to midling level, they committed to it and traded down again.  Dotson might have been there, or we could have drafted likely the best lb in the draft in Lloyd.  I kind of think when they missed out on London and then Hamilton got drafted before #16 they got a case of Fomo and could not trade down again.

I think we are all going to really like this player.  The problem is obviously that we end up putting the success of the player in context to their spot...#16.  

28 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Yep.  In the end you could have a draft like we had or you could have drafted potential stars like #11 Hamilton, #47 Willis, etc.  That is what we are going to look back and wonder.

I just wish if they were going to trade down to midling level, they committed to it and traded down again.  Dotson might have been there, or we could have drafted likely the best lb in the draft in Lloyd.  I kind of think when they missed out on London and then Hamilton got drafted before #16 they got a case of Fomo and could not trade down again.

I think we are all going to really like this player.  The problem is obviously that we end up putting the success of the player in context to their spot...#16.  

The other problem with the trade down was the picks they got in return weren't even that great. They basically missed out on Olave, Wiliams and Hamilton for a late third and late fourth which they traded away anyway. Like I said, it was just baffling. Maybe they really loved Dotson and that's why they did it but last years draft and this years draft leave a lot to be desired. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

The other problem with the trade down was the picks they got in return weren't even that great. They basically missed out on Olave, Wiliams and Hamilton for a late third and late fourth which they traded away anyway. Like I said, it was just baffling. Maybe they really loved Dotson and that's why they did it but last years draft and this years draft leave a lot to be desired. 

It could be as simple as Howell. If for any reason he is the QBOTF and is successful, this draft and trade was a homerun.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It could be as simple as Howell. If for any reason he is the QBOTF and is successful, this draft and trade was a homerun.

While true, they could’ve used their natural 4th round pick to get Howell. I mean, I’d rather have Howell at that point than Turner who was a massive reach. I don’t hate Dotson and I hope he ends up being great. His highlight reel is certainly impressive however I can’t get over the players they passed on. Even at 16 Treylon Burks and Devin Lloyd were still on the board. I just can’t believe the back up plan to missing out on London was Dotson…just makes no sense at all 

3 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Yep and they will look like absolute complete geniuses!  But the truth is if they really graded him as a future franchise qb they should have used the 2nd rounder for him.  Like everyone claps the Patriots on the back for getting Brady at the end of the draft, but the truth is they passed on him multiple times and lucked into him.  If you have conviction in a qb, you go get him.  Of course, I would be happy to luck into a tom brady.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, offbyone said:

Yep and they will look like absolute complete geniuses!  But the truth is if they really graded him as a future franchise qb they should have used the 2nd rounder for him.  Like everyone claps the Patriots on the back for getting Brady at the end of the draft, but the truth is they passed on him multiple times and lucked into him.  If you have conviction in a qb, you go get him.  Of course, I would be happy to luck into a tom brady.

But they were sold on Bledsoe as we’re sold on Wentz. It’s just what it is teams and Coaches can look and look and look for a QB and sometimes when they aren’t looking they actually find the right one. That said even if Howell is a life long backup they still lucked into him. I’m just happy they finally took him.

• Like 3

Let’s hope he’s really good. There is an awful lot of selling going on here on him and how he is rated. Reminds me of the few months after they drafted both Rod Gardner and Michael Westbrook who were both Charley Taylor and were going to be in the HOF. 

no one knows- but my guess is in 5 years he will not be in the top 5 receiver production from WR’s drafted in this draft but he also won’t be a Gardner/Westbrook either 

48 minutes ago, Doc Draper said:

Let’s hope he’s really good. There is an awful lot of selling going on here on him and how he is rated. Reminds me of the few months after they drafted both Rod Gardner and Michael Westbrook who were both Charley Taylor and were going to be in the HOF. 

no one knows- but my guess is in 5 years he will not be in the top 5 receiver production from WR’s drafted in this draft but he also won’t be a Gardner/Westbrook either

Well, I don't think he needs to be great for us, to have an impact for our offense.

He just needs to NOT be Josh Doctson.

If he plays like Santana Moss or Desean Jackson? Washington will be in the in Playoffs. It's just that simple.

With him, Scary Terry & Hopefully Curtis Samuels playing like we know he can?

That's 3 weapons that will be hard to stop. Throw in a very talented Dyami Brown, Logan Thomas & Antonio Gibson/McKissic?

#32 toughest schedule?

Possible huge assets in rookies Brian Robinson & Cole Turner?

If Wentz plays the way we've seen him play? This team will be scary good. 

If the Defense decides to show up this season?

Lots of "if's" with this team..But they're more than capable, of making the playoffs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2022 at 11:21 PM, Doc Draper said:

It’s hard for me to imagine Dotson just being an average pro or worse. He’s just solid all around, runs great routes and he attacks the ball really well when it’s in the air. I think he’ll be a top 5 WR from this draft.

Drake London is going to be hurt from poor QB play in Atlanta; they don’t have Matt Ryan anymore. Garrett Wilson needs Zach Wilson to develop into a good QB or more if he wants to have great stats, he’s going to be really hard for all that to go right IMO.

I think he has a good shot to be our next Santana Moss type WR.  If you put that with Terry over the next 5-10 years then we’ll have a great receiving corps over that timeframe & overall passing game especially if Bates, Cole Turner & Reyes develop into good tight ends to go with Gibby as a receiving back.

Edited by turtle28