Vikings Select Lewis Cine Safety Georgia at #32

gopherwrestler

11 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I did not know Najee Thompson moved to safety.  If that is the case no question Cine would be the 6th safety. 

yeah, about two weeks ago or so.

Najee Thompson has switched positions from cornerback to safety and is likely to make the roster.

Thompson was signed as an undrafted free agent last season, and though he didn’t see the field on defense (that I can recall) he immediately established himself as a very good special teams player, particularly as a punt gunner. If they’re moving Thompson to safety in order to give the players competing for cornerback snaps some more time to evaluate them, Cine is going to have a real uphill battle to make the squad at safety.

Clearly, Cine is behind Harrison Smith, Camryn Bynum, and Josh Metellus on the safety depth chart. If we figure that Thompson makes the roster as a safety, at least nominally, that probably only leaves one spot on the 53-man roster for another safety. Cine will be competing with Theo Jackson and Jay Ward, among others, to claim that spot.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2024/6/18/24181512/lewis-cine-minnesota-vikings-roster-najee-thompson

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Sounds like he’s already out the door. 

Probably likely...but I'm certain someone else will give him a shot.  With all the hits to the CB room, Booth has got a better shot now though. 

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Sounds like he’s already out the door. 

and hopefully we get something for the change.

Typically, when an NFL team holds a player out of practice for non-injury reasons, it means that they are either working on a new contract, or attempting to make a trade.

In Cine's case, it's easy to believe that the Vikings could be currently working on finding a team that would be willing to trade for the young safety. Minnesota's safety room is overflowing with talent and Cine hasn't done enough in his short tenure with the team to surpass anyone who is above him on the position group's depth chart.

It is still possible that he could be dealing with an injury or an illness, especially since the NFL doesn't require teams to share a daily injury report with the public during training camp or the preseason as they do during the regular season. But, as it was mentioned previously, there have been no reports of Cine currently dealing with an injury.

https://thevikingage.com/posts/lewis-cine-not-practicing-minnesota-vikings-trade-in-the-works?f

• 4 weeks later...

Cine had a nice game in preseason Week 2, collecting a team-leading ten tackles, one sack, and one interception. That’s the type of performance that will help Cine make the roster, but the Vikings’ safety room is loaded with depth.

Harrison Smith, Camryn Bynum, and Josh Metellus will be on the roster. Jay Ward and Theo Jackson are solid contributors and will be tough for Cine to beat out. However, if Cine has another massive game to wrap up the preseason, the former first-round pick could do just enough to secure the final roster spot.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/3-minnesota-vikings-who

I’ve never seen Jay Ward do anything positive, so I don’t how anyone can call him a contributor. 

Same kind of goes for Jackson. He has a little bit of credit built up from the promise that he showed last year. But, what has he done to earn a roster spot this year? He was bad against the Raiders, and he’s been hurt since. 

With what Cine showed against the Browns, I’d easily keep him over the other two. His athleticism alone still gives him more potential if he’s starting to figure things out. Plus, I’ve seen nothing from Ward or Jackson to suggest that you couldn’t get either of them on the practice squad. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I’ve never seen Jay Ward do anything positive, so I don’t how anyone can call him a contributor. 

Same kind of goes for Jackson. He has a little bit of credit built up from the promise that he showed last year. But, what has he done to earn a roster spot this year? He was bad against the Raiders, and he’s been hurt since. 

With what Cine showed against the Browns, I’d easily keep him over the other two. His athleticism alone still gives him more potential if he’s starting to figure things out. Plus, I’ve seen nothing from Ward or Jackson to suggest that you couldn’t get either of them on the practice squad. 

This.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Possible, but people are just going on how much positive they said about Theo Jackson during camp.  Sure in the preseason he has not stood out as much but also has not played nearly as often as Cine, especially last week did Jackson even play?  Against the Raiders Jackson showed up more than Cine did and apparently has during camp more as well.

If Cine is great against the Eagles tomorrow then maybe they have a hard choice to make.  But until that happens I still would assume Theo Jackson is ahead of Lewis Cine.

Jay Ward flashes as a long coverage safety or slot type safety.  I agree I would not keep him over Cine if it was between those two.  Theo Jackson it is a different story and Theo did actually play a bit last year and was ahead of Cine clearly last year also, same can be said about Jay Ward who actually saw the field far more than Cine did last season.

We will see how Cine does against the Eagles and if he can show the Browns game was not just a good game for him.  The INT was probably more luck, right place right time.  As for the sack, that also was he came totally free did he not, QB did not see him, easy sack.  The fact Cine made tackles and did not go backwards was nice to see and he made some nice open field tackles against the Browns.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I agree with this - People like Jay Ward because of his "versatility" playing CB or S. The thing is he isn't good at either.

I'm really hoping Cine can make the roster and find some snaps as a special teams ace and situationally on defense.

If his athleticism has fully returned surely Flores could find use for a safety with 4.3 speed? Scheme him up unblocked off the edge and hunt the QB!

• Like 1

Lewis Cine, 24, is moving into the season carrying a $3,134,770 cap charge. Cutting him would increase that total to $5,407,155, so there’s actually negative financial ramifications for a simple cut. A trade, in contrast, would liberate $1,749,924 on the cap.

Look for Cine to get plenty of work in the upcoming Philadelphia game. Another strong performance seems likely to precede either a roster retention or a trade to a situation where snaps are more readily available.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/lewis-cine-applause/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

• Like 1

It would be a great story if the light came on for him. He's still very young, doesn't have a lot of wear on the tires, and has excellent physical abilities. It would be nice if we could just transition to Metellus and Cine if both Harry and Cam move on after this season.

• Like 1