Vikings Select Lewis Cine Safety Georgia at #32

gopherwrestler

• 4 weeks later...

Brian Flores: "Physically, Cine looks good. And he's learning and he was here all the entire offseason. And he's been working and working and working and working. And yeah, we're excited to just continue to work and grow and learn and he's done a good job. Again, you know, we're, we're still very early in the process, too. We're really early in the installs, too, so there's a lot to learn, but a lot of opportunity for him to grow as well. He's done a nice job."

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

By all accounts, Lewis Cine's recovery from the serious leg injury he suffered last year went extremely well. The 2022 first-round pick attacked his rehab and said he wasn't limited at all during the team's offseason program this year. 

With that in the past, the focus has turned back to football. And in that area, Cine still has plenty of work to do. He was clearly fourth on the depth chart at safety during OTAs and minicamp, trailing not only returning starters Harrison Smith and Cam Bynum but also special teams ace Josh Metellus, who has emerged as a versatile chess piece in Brian Flores' defense. When Cine was on the field, it was mostly with the second-team defense.

It's always important not to draw any major conclusions from the first phase of the offseason. Training camp is where jobs and roles and roster spots are won or lost, with padded practices and joint practices and preseason games serving as crucial evaluation opportunities for coaching staffs. If he has a big camp, Cine could still bypass Bynum and Metellus and find himself starting next to Smith in Week 1. 

But he's going to have to earn it. If Cine does receive playing time on defense early this season, it will be because his play forced his coaches' hand.

Because Metellus is more of a do-it-all hybrid defensive back, Bynum is the bar Cine has to clear in order to crack the starting lineup. The 2021 fourth-round pick played every single snap at safety last season and was solid as a run defender, but his 50.2 PFF coverage grade was firmly below-average. Cine's college tape and draft pedigree suggest that he should be able to clear that bar, but he has to prove it in camp.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-safety-lewis-cine-depth-chart-hurdles-clear-training-camp

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Second-year safety Lewis Cine zoomed across the field, snagged the ball and secured it as he fell to the turf. Defensive teammates roared in approval. The interception effectively ended a 2-minute drill by the second teams during last Saturday's Vikings Training Camp practice.

But for Cine, it's more of a beginning, a new opportunity after his rookie campaign abruptly ended with a broken leg in London last fall.

Flores: "I start to think about all the other little things that you guys may not see that he's doing just from an alignment standpoint, from a communication standpoint, from a processing standpoint, all the things that lead up to a play like that. That's kind of where I go. I think he's doing a lot of good things from that standpoint. Just learning and processing and understanding so that he can let his God-given gifts show on the field consistently."

"It was great to see his teammates celebrate. That's what I really like watching him, and that's what I showed him. You see the entire sideline light up, it's funny, you get into meetings and, 'Why aren't you celebrating? You should be yelling. You should be jumping a little bit more.' But it was good to see. You want to see that kind of joy, camaraderie."

Cine: "I feel like there was a whole lot of growth, mental, spiritual and physical. I feel like my body, I got bigger, I got more comfortable within myself in this scheme, so now it's just playing without thinking and having fun at the same time."

https://www.vikings.com/news/2023-lewis-cine-advancing-mental-spiritual-physical-growth?fbclid=IwAR2Z3BNFz27MV40mcRn-IPvWhCKjXnZorRx5V87cDmTqI46RxRtUgMWyAWY

• Like 2

6 hours ago, vike daddy said:

Second-year safety Lewis Cine zoomed across the field, snagged the ball and secured it as he fell to the turf. Defensive teammates roared in approval. The interception effectively ended a 2-minute drill by the second teams during last Saturday's Vikings Training Camp practice.

But for Cine, it's more of a beginning, a new opportunity after his rookie campaign abruptly ended with a broken leg in London last fall.

Flores: "I start to think about all the other little things that you guys may not see that he's doing just from an alignment standpoint, from a communication standpoint, from a processing standpoint, all the things that lead up to a play like that. That's kind of where I go. I think he's doing a lot of good things from that standpoint. Just learning and processing and understanding so that he can let his God-given gifts show on the field consistently."

"It was great to see his teammates celebrate. That's what I really like watching him, and that's what I showed him. You see the entire sideline light up, it's funny, you get into meetings and, 'Why aren't you celebrating? You should be yelling. You should be jumping a little bit more.' But it was good to see. You want to see that kind of joy, camaraderie."

Cine: "I feel like there was a whole lot of growth, mental, spiritual and physical. I feel like my body, I got bigger, I got more comfortable within myself in this scheme, so now it's just playing without thinking and having fun at the same time."

https://www.vikings.com/news/2023-lewis-cine-advancing-mental-spiritual-physical-growth?fbclid=IwAR2Z3BNFz27MV40mcRn-IPvWhCKjXnZorRx5V87cDmTqI46RxRtUgMWyAWY

This is the kind of report I like to hear.  I want Cine to live up to his hype based on his performance with Georgia's national champs, and Kwesi's faith in him, moving down a whopping 20 places in The 1st Round, to choose him, a player playing a non-premium position.  This defence absolutely needs Cine, Booth, Blackmon, Pace, Roy, Asamoah, and Evans to hit big.

• 3 weeks later...

The first draft class of general manager Kwesi Adofo-Mensah has been under a lot of criticism lately. The player with the most criticism is safety Lewis Cine.

How concerned should we be? Based his play this week, we should be less concerned than before. Here are eight plays that show where Cine is currently at.

Physicality

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/44/2023/08/Lewis-Cine-P2.3.mp4?_=3

This is a simple cover-1 zone defense where Cine is hanging out in the hook zone. Once he sees that Malik Willis commits to throwing the in-breaking route, Cine unloads on the receiver and takes him down with a big hit. This is what you want to see from Cine. The instincts in the box/intermediate levels are great.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/minnesota-viking-8-plays-lewis-cine-ability/

• 4 months later...
8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Lewis Cine recorded his first tackle of his career.

That might be news worthy lol

Any chance he steps up in 2024?

Ugh. Brutal. I still hold out hope he's still been hurt most of the year, and they are just red shirting him....but I don't believe that for one minute. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Last time I brought him up I was gang tackled here.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

There is very limited chance Cine ever grows into a reliable starter in the league.  It is questionable whether he will ever become a reasonable backup option. It would be foolish to count on him for anything. The team should not enter camp without viable competition for Cine's tenuous hold on a deep reserve roster spot.

• Like 1

I still have faith that Cine can be a contributor. Do I expect what I expected out of him when drafted?  No. But, he just turned 24 and he's got 2 more years to show that he can be a player in this league. 

• Like 2

So what is Cine's deal? Still not there physically? Bynum has stepped up and now we have a log jam of talented safeties blocking his playing time? Or did we spend a first round pick on this guy only to find out he sucks at football once he got in camp?

Just now, Nbanflguy said:

So what is Cine's deal? Still not there physically? Bynum has stepped up and now we have a log jam of talented safeties blocking his playing time? Or did we spend a first round pick on this guy only to find out he sucks at football once he got in camp?

I don't know if they have a logjam next year......we'll see.