Vikings Select Lewis Cine Safety Georgia at #32

gopherwrestler

With the development of Cam Bynum, Lewis Cine could be a wasted pick unless he can play the slot.  Bynum has played very solid this year, especially considering he has never played safety in college and was always a corner.

Even if Cine was healthy, I doubt Bynum would be benched unless he got hurt.  Then again maybe Bynum could play the slot or corner and have Cine at safety.  Will be interesting what they do, especially with such a so so DL that needs to improve a lot for them to become a great defense.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

With the development of Cam Bynum, Lewis Cine could be a wasted pick unless he can play the slot.  Bynum has played very solid this year, especially considering he has never played safety in college and was always a corner.

Even if Cine was healthy, I doubt Bynum would be benched unless he got hurt.  Then again maybe Bynum could play the slot or corner and have Cine at safety.  Will be interesting what they do, especially with such a so so DL that needs to improve a lot for them to become a great defense.  

Harrison Smith will probably be slowing down in the near future. He might even end up getting released in the next year or two. Not a wasted pick to have a future starter ready to go. Additionally, they talked a lot about having 3 safeties on the field at times. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Harrison Smith will probably be slowing down in the near future. He might even end up getting released in the next year or two. Not a wasted pick to have a future starter ready to go. Additionally, they talked a lot about having 3 safeties on the field at times. 

Harrison Smith is signed through 2025, but sure they could cut him potentially at some point.  Either way CB especially slot corner is way more of a need than safety and even boundary corner unless Booth or Evans really develop because not sure Peterson has much left in the tank but has been decent enough this year.  

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, AP_allday2869 said:

That's awesome. I still think he could be a good player for us. People like to talk about how he coudn't crack the starting line up, but that's whatever. He was a rookie and literally nobody looked good in Donatell's defense.

And frankly, he had two quality guys in front of him. I think he was drafted as a Harry Smith replacement.  Not as a day 1 starter. 

• 4 weeks later...

Great to hear about Cine. 

From all of the reports that I’ve read about his injury, it sounds like he got away with only a fracture. Gruesome, yes, but so often those type of injuries deal with ligament and tendon damage as well (looking at Prescott and Lance), and it sounds like Cine avoided that. 

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 11:43 PM, wcblack34 said:

And frankly, he had two quality guys in front of him. I think he was drafted as a Harry Smith replacement.  Not as a day 1 starter. 

Not a day 1 starter, but a year 2 starter. If fans are excited about the guy, then who is he supplanting this season? If not this season, Cine wasn't worth a 1st rd pick when other options were available. Is Bynum the odd man out it would be odd considering Smith can't really be expected to play much longer. So which is it?

1 minute ago, babababa said:

Not a day 1 starter, but a year 2 starter. If fans are excited about the guy, then who is he supplanting this season? If not this season, Cine wasn't worth a 1st rd pick when other options were available. Is Bynum the odd man out it would be odd considering Smith can't really be expected to play much longer. So which is it?

Considering the injury, I think all we can expect is for him to contribute this season...I'm not worried about whether he's starting or not, although it'd be nice to have him starting by the end of the season.  I think with the way the defense is, I'd expect to see plenty of Smith, Bynum and Cine all on the field, and maybe at the same time with Bynum playing some of the slot, considering his CB background.