Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

17 minutes ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

You can go to top 150 and add Ed McCaffrey to the list. This is careers like Amari Cooper, Randall Cobb and Robert Woods. 

So you get 5 guys out of 150 who are tall and skinny. That’s 3%. 

It’s rare to find tall skinny #1’s. 

They struggle to create separation and don’t have the bodies to box out. It’s a bad combo. 

But Watson is a deep threat, runs a good stop route and turns up field like a beast and you can run him on jet sweeps. He can be a good #2 with his skillset. But people creaming their pants over him are going to be disappointed. He has to get the ball in his hands before he can use his best skill (his talent with the ball in his hands) and he doesn’t project to do that like a #1

The crazy thing here is that you actually think you are onto something. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

If Watson was able to do more they would have fed him the ball more. His lack of production makes total sense. They’re not retarded at NDSU. They would have done more if he was dominant. 

This post alone proves you have no idea what you're talking about

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, R T said:

The crazy thing here is that you actually think you are onto something. 

I'm sure he was just hired to a team. He broke the code!!!

Don't draft tall athletes at WR. 

• Like 2

Tbh I don't don't really think you need a #1, and the Packers had proved it for years. You have a bunch of "#2s" and feed who has the favorable matchup. I'd argue that before Adams hit his prime, all the WR Rodgers has played with have had something that kept them from being what you guys would call "true #1". Jennings, Nelson, Cobb, Jones, ect it's more important to stress the defense in multiple directions and than having one elite guy.

• Like 1

I can't wait for the footage of Watson attempting to run a route that he isn't capable of running. I imagine it will look like a Charles Barkley golf swing and Watson will fall to the ground in convulsions, screaming "It's physically impossible for me to run that route"

1 hour ago, JordanLoveFTW said:

I went through the top 125 players. (7,500 career yards)

4 in the history of the NFL were both tall (6’4”+) and skinny (<215lbs)

Randy Moss

AJ Green

Keyshon Johnson 

Herman Moore

So it’s very rare to find a tall skinny guy. He has a lot to overcome. 

How many 6'4"+ and less than 215lbs WR have there been in the history of the NFL?

hypothetically, if there have only been 8 of them, then Watson would have a 50% chance of achieving these standards 

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

How many 6'4"+ and less than 215lbs WR have there been in the history of the NFL?

hypothetically, if there have only been 8 of them, then Watson would have a 50% chance of achieving these standards 

Might want to cross off anyone that doesn't run a 4.36 as well. That little tidbit was conveniently forgotten about

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cannondale said:

I can't wait for the footage of Watson attempting to run a route that he isn't capable of running. I imagine it will look like a Charles Barkley golf swing and Watson will fall to the ground in convulsions, screaming "It's physically impossible for me to run that route"

At least it won’t be as bad as Tua under throwing Hill bad…

rough count of 46 WR in NFL history to reach 10K receiving yards.

16 are in the HoF.   Those likely (at least debatable to get there include

Larry Fitzgerald
Steve Smith
Reggie Wayne
Andre Johnson
Torry Holt
Julio Jones
Antonio Brown
AJ Green
Anquan Boldin
Henry Ellard

That puts the 10K mark at a 50% HoF level player.  

If that is the bar that is being set for Watson, count me in the group that he will very likely not reach HoF level

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

7 were drafted from 2014-2021, so 1 per year. Tyrell Williams (6'4" 204, 4.43 40) was a UDFA. It's a dumb argument, but he knows that. None ran sub 4.4 40 or sub 1.5 10yd split.

2021 = Nico Collins (6'4" 215, 4.45 40, 3rd Round)

2020 = Tee Higgins (6'4" 216, 4.54 40, 2nd Round) and Isaiah Hodgins (6'4" 210, 4.61 40, 6th Round)

2019 = None

2018 = MVS (6'4" 206, 4.37 40, 5th Round)

2017 = Kenny Golladay was close (6'4" 218, 4.50 40, 3rd Round)

2016 = None

2015 = Dezmin Lewis (6'4" 214, 4.58 40, 7th Round)

2014 = Martavis Bryant (6'4" 211, 4.42, 4th Round)

Edited by TheEagle

Tall often means less sudden out of breaks and less likely to create separation. Bigger guys are usually good at boxing out and create their separation that way. Watson is good at neither. It’s a disadvantage. 

He has a couple things going for him. He runs a really good go route and a really good stop route or come back route. Once he catches those stop routes, he’s really dynamic with the ball in his hands. He also shows good coordination back shouldering and that is a nice trait for someone who wins with speed on go routes. He also gets jet sweeps and screens. 

Because of his strengths I think he’ll be a good pick. 

Because of his weaknesses, I don’t think he has upside to be a legit #1. He’ll be a vertical #2 WR. That’s my prediction.