Round 2 Pick 34; Christian Watson, WR, NDSU

Packerraymond

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Volume =/= production, especially in Jones' case his game fell off a cliff.

Cobb did have a mild resurgence but he was very injured each of his final 3 years in GB.

Jordy was cooked when he left.  He got a "no longer playing with Brett Hundley" bump on the Raiders.

Of course Davante is gonna be fine.  He won't be as good as he was here though.  Probably not even close.

Jordy/Cobb/Jones were all NFL aged vets when they left.

Of course their stats with other teams won't be their prime stats in GB.

But all three were productive, more productive than they were the prior year in GB.

There's this myth out there that GB receivers don't do well somewhere else.  Maybe some believe it is the Rodgers effect.

And it is simply not true.

Bad receivers are bad receivers.  Whether they are in GB or not.  End of the depth chart guys like ESB, Kumerow....etc.

Good receivers are good receivers.  We didn't pay James Jones.  He left, had a good year.  Came back and was kind of a godsend for the offense that year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

We didn't pay James Jones.  He left, had a good year.

he had a terrible year on high volume.  Worst Y/T of his entire career, cut it almost in half compared to his previous seasons.

2014 was the worst statistical season of James Jones' entire career.  He caught 14 MORE passes to accrue 151 fewer yards and it took him 20 more targets to accomplish this ignominious feat.

You want to say they were old and that's why they declined, sure, fair game.  But Jones was 30, Jordy 33, Cobb 29.  Not really THAT old.  Cobb was overly injured and over-paid, Jordy had definitely lost 2 steps, and Jones lost 1 without many steps to burn.  All were good decisions to move on.

So yah, moving on to Sammy Watkins.  If he can earn a role on the team at all, it will probably be a featured role, and if he can stay healthy he's going to have his best season since Buffalo.

18 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

he had a terrible year on high volume.  Worst Y/T of his entire career, cut it almost in half compared to his previous seasons.

2014 was the worst statistical season of James Jones' entire career.  He caught 14 MORE passes to accrue 151 fewer yards and it took him 20 more targets to accomplish this ignominious feat.

You want to say they were old and that's why they declined, sure, fair game.  But Jones was 30, Jordy 33, Cobb 29.  Not really THAT old.  Cobb was overly injured and over-paid, Jordy had definitely lost 2 steps, and Jones lost 1 without many steps to burn.  All were good decisions to move on.

So yah, moving on to Sammy Watkins.  If he can earn a role on the team at all, it will probably be a featured role, and if he can stay healthy he's going to have his best season since Buffalo.

All caught more balls than they did the year before.  And they were aged.  Cobb was aged in NFL years.

So again, it is a myth that receivers don't produce when they leave.  They do.

Forget yards per catch and stuff like that.  That is indicative of the new offenses and how they were used.  WR's had no real control over that.  Catches.  That is within their control.

And yes, all three were good decisions on GB's part.  And kudos to the guys for still being quality receivers.  

As it relates to Sammy?  He's an average NFL receiver.  And maybe that is due to health more than anything else.

I don't see him being more than average here.  He is what he is.  As you know , they key to him is health.  The more he plays, the more he will produce, even if only at "average" numbers.

Hopefully Sammy doesn't bust as hard as Christian Watson is going to bust.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Forget yards per catch and stuff like that.  That is indicative of the new offenses and how they were used.  WR's had no real control over that.  Catches.  That is within their control.

lol.  ok agree to disagree on that one.  No coming back from that line of thinking

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

Cobb did have a mild resurgence but he was very injured each of his final 3 years in GB.

I don't think that he did.  But I also don't think he ever even regressed.  I think that his body hasn't cooperated with him, and he plays hurt quite a bit as well.  He hasn't played a full season since 2015.  I think he produces pretty equivalent to his health.  Perhaps an outlier in 2014.  

1 hour ago, skibrett15 said:

lol.  ok agree to disagree on that one.  No coming back from that line of thinking

James Jones.

2013 GB.  59 for 817.  13.8 average with 3 TD's.

2014 Oakland.  73 for 666.  9.1 average with 6 Td's.

2015 GB.  50 for 890.  17.8.  8 TD's.

Now, I thought Oakland released him and he came to GB mid-season.  But I can't see it on pro football reference.  Am I correct on that?

Because he's the prime example of changing offenses.  Only he came back to his old offense that asked him to do different things.

And his ypc went way up from Oakland.

We don't know if that was the case with Jordy.

Cobb?  2018, 10.5 ypc with GB.  2019, 15.1 with Dallas.  2020, 11.6 with Texans.  2021, 13,4 ypc.  Kindda all over the board.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

James Jones.

Now, I thought Oakland released him and he came to GB mid-season.  But I can't see it on pro football reference.  Am I correct on that?

Jones signed with or got traded to the Giants and got cut.  We cut Myles White and he signed with the Giants.  Effectively trading Jones for White.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, TheEagle said:

BTW, He just turned 23 last month. Wyatt is 24.

Well actually when you have your 23rd birthday you have lived 23 years, which moves you into the 24th year of your life. Watson is in the 24th year of his life. Just sayin'.   

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, R T said:

Well actually when you have your 23rd birthday you have lived 23 years, which moves you into the 24th year of your life. Watson is in the 24th year of his life. Just sayin'.   

Watson is in his 3rd decade of life, that's like being 30.

• Like 2