Jump to content

61- 49ers select Drake Jackson USC DE


 Share

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, Forge said:

I think he'll get rotational nickel rushes, but I don't think he'll play enough to be that big of a factor all year long. If the over / under on his sacks was 3.5, I'd probably take the under (if Ebukam sticks on the roster) 

We honestly just have a ridiculously deep DL. Definitely can see one of them being traded in camp. 

He's going to have to really impress to get his time on the field. You're probably right but it depends how fast he picks everything up. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

We honestly just have a ridiculously deep DL. Definitely can see one of them being traded in camp. 

He's going to have to really impress to get his time on the field. You're probably right but it depends how fast he picks everything up. 

It's really weird that we have kept Ebukam the way that we have given the outlier of his contract and consistent level of his play. He's had 4.5 sacks 3 years in a row in a rotational role and has a cap hit over 8 million. That's so weird when you consider what we pay the other edge guys. If we move on from Ebukam, I think Jackson has a much bigger role and a much better season. But right now, I have to assume that Ebukam is the primary guy taking Jackson's reps. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's really weird that we have kept Ebukam the way that we have given the outlier of his contract and consistent level of his play. He's had 4.5 sacks 3 years in a row in a rotational role and has a cap hit over 8 million. That's so weird when you consider what we pay the other edge guys. If we move on from Ebukam, I think Jackson has a much bigger role and a much better season. But right now, I have to assume that Ebukam is the primary guy taking Jackson's reps. 

Including the playoffs he had 5.5 sacks in the last 8 games. So he was a double digit sack type of rusher for essentially half the season. I think that has saved him and the team isn't in a rush to get rid of him but maybe they are waiting for camp to see how these guys all look? Though at that point is it even worth getting rid of him? 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/8/2022 at 3:12 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

We honestly just have a ridiculously deep DL. Definitely can see one of them being traded in camp. 

He's going to have to really impress to get his time on the field. You're probably right but it depends how fast he picks everything up. 

This is how I'm looking at our EDGE rushers right now:

Bosa and Jackson are locks and Ebukam/Hyder are leaning toward locks as well for me. I'm calling it 4 locks right now. We're going to carry around 6 EDGE, most likely. This leave Turray, Willis, and Omenihu in an odd-man-out battle. 1 of these three won't make the roster. This is a definite camp battle, IMO.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

This is how I'm looking at our EDGE rushers right now:

Bosa and Jackson are locks and Ebukam/Hyder are leaning toward locks as well for me. I'm calling it 4 locks right now. We're going to carry around 6 EDGE, most likely. This leave Turray, Willis, and Omenihu in an odd-man-out battle. 1 of these three won't make the roster. This is a definite camp battle, IMO.

Definitely feel like Willis would be the odd man out in this scenario. Turay is guaranteed 1M and I think Omenihu will be our base end. There are a ton of different combos we could roll out, but I see something kind of like this: 

Base
Bosa - Kinlaw - Armstead - Omenihu
Ebukam/Jackson - Givens - Hurst - Hyder


Nickel
Bosa - Kinlaw - Amstead - Jackson
Ebukam - Hyder/Omenihu - Hurst - Turay
  
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Definitely feel like Willis would be the odd man out in this scenario. Turay is guaranteed 1M and I think Omenihu will be our base end. There are a ton of different combos we could roll out, but I see something kind of like this: 

Base
Bosa - Kinlaw - Armstead - Omenihu
Ebukam/Jackson - Givens - Hurst - Hyder


Nickel
Bosa - Kinlaw - Amstead - Jackson
Ebukam - Hyder/Omenihu - Hurst - Turay
  
 

Yeah I can see that happening. I think if we didn't make such a strong effort to sign a bunch of guys in FA this year that are core Special Teamers, Willis would have a better chance to make the team. With each guy we signed this year, it reduced his chances of making the team. 

Maybe we could get him to the PS. His epic play in Green Bay last year might make that hard to do that for teams looking for a ST guy that can rush the passer a little. I'd love to get him to the PS, if possible.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, GW21 said:

Definitely feel like Willis would be the odd man out in this scenario. Turay is guaranteed 1M and I think Omenihu will be our base end. There are a ton of different combos we could roll out, but I see something kind of like this: 

Base
Bosa - Kinlaw - Armstead - Omenihu
Ebukam/Jackson - Givens - Hurst - Hyder


Nickel
Bosa - Kinlaw - Amstead - Jackson
Ebukam - Hyder/Omenihu - Hurst - Turay
  
 

That lineup makes me tingle inside.  I just hope that Kinlaw comes in health and stays healthy for the season.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, GW21 said:

Definitely feel like Willis would be the odd man out in this scenario. Turay is guaranteed 1M and I think Omenihu will be our base end. There are a ton of different combos we could roll out, but I see something kind of like this: 

Base
Bosa - Kinlaw - Armstead - Omenihu
Ebukam/Jackson - Givens - Hurst - Hyder


Nickel
Bosa - Kinlaw - Amstead - Jackson
Ebukam - Hyder/Omenihu - Hurst - Turay
  
 

At this moment, I don't see how Kinlaw gets on the field as a nickel DT. He's just not an effective interior rusher at this point. I think that's one of the reasons Hurst was brought back and they added Ridgeway. Because that part of Kinlaw's game is still developing, not to mention his availability. Those two, along with AA & Givens should be the rotation on the inside. At least until Kinlaw proves himself worthy of more. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

At this moment, I don't see how Kinlaw gets on the field as a nickel DT. He's just not an effective interior rusher at this point. I think that's one of the reasons Hurst was brought back and they added Ridgeway. Because that part of Kinlaw's game is still developing, not to mention his availability. Those two, along with AA & Givens should be the rotation on the inside. At least until Kinlaw proves himself worthy of more. 

Omenihu and Hyder also have outside-inside versatility. I expect a bunch of different alignments. I do think Kinlaw is going to get first crack at getting on the field though. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...