Round 7 Pick 249; Rasheed Walker, OT Penn State

Packerraymond

On 1/14/2024 at 2:53 AM, oldmansmell said:

I feel like its the beer we drank prior to the invention of refrigeration, which is cool...but now we have refrigeration.

You sound like someone who hasn't had much good beer.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, deltarich87 said:

It's honestly insane just how well GB is at drafting OL overall and especially on Day 3.

For all the talk of WRs, this is actually our biggest strength as a team over the last decade. We generally have one of the better lines though rarely ultra dominant like it was in 2020, but if there were a way to compare ROI on draft/FA capital we would be ahead of the league by an absolute country mile. Off the top of my head the only team that might come close on any position group may be Baltimore at LB. 

It's just a conveyor belt of average to decent players who fit like a glove (with the odd poor one that we can get up to serviceable, and a star thrown in here or there). 

Edited by Billy86
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

For all the talk of WRs, this is actually our biggest strength as a team over the last decade. We generally have one of the better lines though rarely ultra dominant like it was in 2020, but if there were a way to compare ROI on draft/FA capital we would be ahead of the league by an absolute country mile. Off the top of my head the only team that might come close on any position group may be Baltimore at LB. 

It's just a conveyor belt of average to decent players who fit like a glove (with the odd poor one that we can get up to serviceable, and a star thrown in here or there). 

Dallas seems pretty good at drafting guys for the regular season! 😂

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Stud 

He and Parsons were teammates at Penn State. He's had some experience blocking him. I'm guessing a lot of his snaps were against Lawrence though. Very impressive! 

Edited by Old Guy

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The only clearly negative play I noticed from Walker was when Lawrence walked him back into Jones on one of the early runs.

I saw him whiff on a run or two....away from him.  And get to the second level to do nothing as well.

But only a time or two.  And I watch o-line play.

I thought his pass protection was about as good as you could expect.  And while I saw some misses in the run game, I wouldn't put him as a minus, either.

Dude looked the part of a quality LT in the league.   

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I saw him whiff on a run or two....away from him.  And get to the second level to do nothing as well.

But only a time or two.  And I watch o-line play.

I thought his pass protection was about as good as you could expect.  And while I saw some misses in the run game, I wouldn't put him as a minus, either.

Dude looked the part of a quality LT in the league.   

It's quite exciting, since his upside was never in doubt - he was projected to have the talent to go as high as the 3rd of even late 2nd round, what dropped him were big red flags over character and consistency. He could improve his consistency somewhat (and the run blocking) but it's been really nice that I haven't heard a peep of any issues with him and he has been pretty disciplined on the field too. 

There's a lot to go and I would like us to take a day 1 pick a LT (or of course say 1 in the unrealisticsce ario that someone like Alt is still there when we are picking) picking), but It would be crazy if he can get to top 5-8 on his position as a 6th rounder, following a UDFA (Nijman) who did a solid enough job filling in for a few years for a HOF level guy (Bakh) that we got in the 4th round back in 2013. 

7 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

It's quite exciting, since his upside was never in doubt - he was projected to have the talent to go as high as the 3rd of even late 2nd round, what dropped him were big red flags over character and consistency. He could improve his consistency somewhat (and the run blocking) but it's been really nice that I haven't heard a peep of any issues with him and he has been pretty disciplined on the field too. 

Screen-Shot-2022-02-16-at-1.50.19-PM.7c3

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

There's a lot to go and I would like us to take a day 1 pick a LT (or of course say 1 in the unrealisticsce ario that someone like Alt is still there when we are picking) picking), but It would be crazy if he can get to top 5-8 on his position as a 6th rounder, following a UDFA (Nijman) who did a solid enough job filling in for a few years for a HOF level guy (Bakh) that we got in the 4th round back in 2013. 

Going from memory here, but there was third and fourth round buzz on Walker.  Then he got injured and didn't perform at the combine.  Add that with the 'humping" and that is why he fell.

Also?  He was a 7th rounder.

Either way, he was a great kid to take a chance on late in the draft.  And obviously our coaches can coach up guys.

I'm still looking to add a tackle or two (possible conversion to G for one of them), but it clearly is not the immediate need I thought it was in week two.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Going from memory here, but there was third and fourth round buzz on Walker.  Then he got injured and didn't perform at the combine.  Add that with the 'humping" and that is why he fell.

Also?  He was a 7th rounder.

Either way, he was a great kid to take a chance on late in the draft.  And obviously our coaches can coach up guys.

I'm still looking to add a tackle or two (possible conversion to G for one of them), but it clearly is not the immediate need I thought it was in week two.

You are right and I'm going to claim typo on that! I rarely get to see any college football so only really have reports to go on, but remember that weekend seeing him just stay on the board seemingly forever and being really excited when we got him because of our history of OL development. The hint is also kind of in the thread title! :D

Reports were mixed and generally 3rd-4th, but there were a few that had him as a potential late second, and even the odd one that had him as a potential first! 

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2022rwalker.php#:~:text=If Walker develops his technique,not slip past Round 3.

• If Walker develops his technique, the skill set is there for him to be a potential starting offensive tackle in the NFL. He could be a late first-round candidate in the 2022 NFL Draft and could easily go in the second round. Walker should not slip past Round 3.

Would definitely agree though that forward planning on the line is always a good idea - and especially now. We held together decently this year, but Runyan, Nijman, Myers, Newman and Bakh may not be here that long (or even next year for some of them), and the caveat with our great OL conveyor belt system is we need to keep feeding the beast. We are so well set at the skill positions that while I am sure we could get great returns day 3, if the value on the picks is there I would kind of love to see us spend three of those five day 1-2 picks on the line.

Walker really must have been terrible in interviews.  To the point where now I wonder if GB had to do anything specific to get him straightened out.  Gute waited until RD7 to pull the trigger, so he obviously had plenty of doubt about how it would play out.