Grade the Packers Draft

Old Guy

Grade the Packers draft  

109 members have voted

1. 1. OK the pickin' is done! How'd we do in your opinion?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

On 5/1/2022 at 11:43 AM, Smidgeon said:

2 1/2" taller, 27 lbs heavier, probably runs just as fast. 

Is Jameson a more sure shot?  Absolutely.  Whose ceiling is higher?  Depends on if you think the staff can get Watson's skills to that top shelf.

Watson makes me wish we still had Edgar Bennett as WR coach. 

On 5/1/2022 at 7:43 PM, Norm said:

I'm hoping this is referencing Cam... And not Chris Leak. Or lolol Brantley. Also Cam was third string behind that bum.

I get people are annoyed by Tim and he sucked really bad in the pros and he was absolutely surrounded by talent, but so have a ton of other dudes, especially lately and they don't get ten percent of the **** over it 

Sadly, TT should have never went pro. It ruined his college legacy and everyone thinks he sucked and was I guess the same as a ****ty *** QB in the MVFC.

Tebow should've gone pro, but he was overdrafted and stubborn and I think what ruined his legacy most of all was that his fans kept insisting he was a legit NFL QB when it was pretty clear that no f'in way should he be starting in any situation other than a desperate one. 

A perfect example of how God-level college skills sometimes just don't translate to the NFL - his baseball windup release and lack of accuracy meant he'd never succeed as a QB. I remember after he washed out of the NFL, USA Rugby tried to recruit him and that made so much sense my teeth hurt. 

When he was drafted I predicted failure but also hedged a smidge by saying I thought it was tough to bet against someone with his intangibles (charisma, leadership, work ethic, etc) 

I'm not getting Claypool or Megatron at all. Those guys are / were much more physical and 25lbs heavier when they came into the league. Christian is gonna get pushed around a little bit until he gets stronger.  More of a young Vincent Jackson vibes when he first came out for me

Edited by cannondale

1 hour ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Tebow should've gone pro, but he was overdrafted and stubborn and I think what ruined his legacy most of all was that his fans kept insisting he was a legit NFL QB when it was pretty clear that no f'in way should he be starting in any situation other than a desperate one. 

A perfect example of how God-level college skills sometimes just don't translate to the NFL - his baseball windup release and lack of accuracy meant he'd never succeed as a QB. I remember after he washed out of the NFL, USA Rugby tried to recruit him and that made so much sense my teeth hurt. 

When he was drafted I predicted failure but also hedged a smidge by saying I thought it was tough to bet against someone with his intangibles (charisma, leadership, work ethic, etc) 

Everyone talks about the throwing motion and fixing that would have been nearly impossible, but the thing nobody talks about is that I don't think that dude could ever read a defense, like at all.

But he was certainly fun at times, especially college.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Norm said:

Everyone talks about the throwing motion and fixing that would have been nearly impossible, but the thing nobody talks about is that I don't think that dude could ever read a defense, like at all.

But he was certainly fun at times, especially college.

Accuracy. That's what it came down to. 

• Like 1

On 5/2/2022 at 9:57 AM, Spartacus said:

The only problem I have with these type of posts is the thought that everyone else plays the draft the same way with the Packers not jumping up. The Packers were very obviously going to take a WR in the 2nd round. Other teams would have surely jumped in front of GB to grab these WRs if needed. I have no doubt at least one if not multiple teams would try to get ahead of GB to take a WR of the caliber of Alec Pierce before the Packers. 

I have a suspicion Gute tried to move up in the 1st but found no trading partners.  When Walker and Wyatt were available he grabbed them and then hoped he could move up and get Watson early in the 2nd.  

On 5/2/2022 at 11:46 AM, AlexGreen#20 said:

Quay Walker: D

I have little doubt that Walker will be a passable ILB. My hesitation about this pick predominantly stems from his position and the talent around him. If he doesn't become an elite off-ball LB, I'm not going to like the pick, just because the impact of off-ball LBs are less than other positions. Krys Barnes isn't the reason this team was losing games, so if Walker isn't the sort of guy that wins games, this is a tough pick.  

As far as his ability to become that ILB, Walker runs well and has the length to drop and play the zones and alleys, that alone has real value. But his ceiling will be determined by his instincts and his ability to see action and shed blocks in the run game. Georgia had so much talent on the Defensive Line that he was kept really clean all year. 

Making any definitive statement regarding his abilities in these facets of the game is difficult just due to a lack of plays where he was forced to make a quick call and dip under a blocker. Piecing these limited plays together, he has solid tape, but it's so scattered and there are so few of them that being confident about these abilities is difficult for me.

Guys that have phenomenal instincts and a real nose for the ball carrier tend to be very visible and rack up huge tackle stats. I didn't see that out of Walker. Part of it is undoubtedly due to his role in that defense, but it's something that gives me pause.

+

Devonte Wyatt: B

Age and a lack of statistical production scare the hell out of me, but the tape is good, and if you're going to draft a standout UT late in the first round, there's going to be some potential warts.

+

Christian Watson: B

You needed to take a body high here. Of the 2nd tier of guys, Watson has the highest ceiling and is arguably primed for the biggest Day 1 impact. 

+

Sean Rhyan: C

Adding another body to the interior. I don't think Rhyan will be ready to take over one of the Guard spots immediately, but he should be groomed to step in when Runyan inevitably walks. 

+

Zach Tom: A

I really like this pick. Tom has a very developed game, he just lacks some strength. Whether he can gain that strength in an NFL weight room will determine his career path. If he can put on some weight enough to develop an NFL anchor, he has Bakhtiari potential. He's a darkhorse candidate to be the RT of the future pending an Elgton Jenkins extension. 

+

Kingsley Enagbare: D

Enagbare reminds me a lot of a poor man's Nick Perry. In order to succeed in the NFL, he's going to need to be a power rusher because his get off and his bend are sub par, but he likes to speed rush around the edge. He lacks Perry's top tier explosiveness however. He's going to need to develop some very crafty moves and handwork if he's going to succeed. Personally I don't see it.  

+

Tariq Carpenter: C

ST body with some potential defensive upside.

+

Jonathan Ford: D

Another fatty with some odd potential. I just don't really see the upside that a guy like Slaton has, and realistically how many of these prospects are we working to develop at a time?

+

Rasheed Walker: B

Athleticism and upside is there. He played well in college, he just needs A LOT of refinement. When Yosh Nijman inevitably leaves us for greener pastures, Walker has the potential to play in that swing spot. 

+

Samori Toure: B

I like this pick. He balled out at the FCS levels and then remained productive while at Nebraska (which isn't easy to do). If he makes the team, he'll cut his teeth on Special Teams for a year. 

1st Round Picks: 4 Credit

2nd Round Picks: 3 Credit

3rd-4th Round Picks: 2 Credit

5th-7th Round Picks: 1 Credit

Walker: 4 x 1.0 = 4

Wyatt: 4 x 3.0 = 12

Watson: 3 x 3.0 = 9

Rhyan: 2 x 3.0 = 6

Tom: 2 x 4.0 = 8

Enagbare: 1 x 1.0 = 1

Carpenter: 1 x 2.0 = 2

Ford: 1 x 1.0 = 1

Walker: 1 x 3.0 = 3

Toure: 1 x 3.0 = 3

= 49 credit points/20 credits = 2.45 GPA

C+ Draft

What did you think of Romeo Doubs in the 4th round?

On 5/2/2022 at 12:20 PM, vegas492 said:

Personally?  I give the draft for the Packers an A.  But, I'm simply a fan and I'm totally buying into these picks.

I can see where the draft community (outside of NFL teams) would say this is a C+ draft for GB.

Why?

We didn't do enough for Aaron Rodgers.

We took an off-ball ILB.  Not exactly a game changer.

We took an old DL.

We took a project via a big trade up where we didn't get value.

And I think that is fair.

But man, I dig our draft.  We see what one LB did for the defense last year.  Now we have another one.

We have the best DL that I can remember, and we got a DL with rush skills.

We really solidified that OL with versatile guys.

We got an EDGE to take some snaps as needed.

And we got the best athlete at WR.

Really?  It is up to the coaches to make this an A three years from now.

If these additions make our defense even better than it is right now that will help Rodgers just as much as one of the WRs taken by other teams in the 1st round.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

If these additions make our defense even better than it is right now that will help Rodgers just as much as one of the WRs taken by other teams in the 1st round.

With the defense that we have, yes, it will make Rodgers life easier, if he allows it.  It should also extend his career.  Who wouldn't want to stick around and play with a defense like this (on paper) while having a developing Watson?

And if he doesn't stick around, the roster is built nicely for a new QB to step in.  Be it Love or someone else.  It should be a case of "no savior needed".

• Like 2

On 5/2/2022 at 2:49 PM, pgwingman said:

My only real gripE from this draft was not adding to the TE group, which is why I'm a little salty about paying so much to get a WR like Watson at 34.

If Watson was worth overpaying to get at 34, he was probably worth taking at 28. The reason we took Wyatt at 28 over Watson had to be that we viewed him higher, and I get that. However, it just feels like we could have moved up 5-6 spots from 53 to get a WR, and used 59 on the TE room.

What TE could/should we have taken at 59 had we not traded up for Watson?  Trey McBride was the only one taken in the 2nd round at #55.  I don't think this was the greatest TE class and not many were even taken when it was all said and done.

On 5/2/2022 at 4:04 PM, R T said:

This based off of nothing and only in your mind. I doubt that the Packers had much interest in Olave at all, they haven't drafted a WR that small in over 20 years and with MLF's offense now in town it is very doubtful they start now. They drafted 3 big WR's and still fans are in denial about what they are looking for in a WR. The good news is we can do this all over again next year.    

It was reported Gute attended Ohio State's pro day so he did his due diligence.  

On 5/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, ChaRisMa said:

Indeed. Been a single father of 3 for the last 7 months while my wife’s been in Massachusetts receiving medical treatment. Flew out on draft day to drive her back to Wisconsin. Watched round 1 with the M*******s. It was SO sweet to see the Pats reach to Chattanooga with their first round pick. Pats fans were crushed. Some guy called for BB to get demoted.

I hope the treatment helped her and she will be okay.

2 minutes ago, Pugger said:

It was reported Gute attended Ohio State's pro day so he did his due diligence.  

Ohio State had 6 players drafted and another 6 signed as UDFA's, Gutes wasn't there to just check out Olave. His greatest interest at OSU was probably Jeremy Ruckert and Tyreke Smith.