Grade the Packers Draft

Old Guy

Grade the Packers draft  

109 members have voted

1. 1. OK the pickin' is done! How'd we do in your opinion?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

15 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Question to be asked:

If the NFL is going to try and mandate an: "X% of your coaching staff needs to be Black" policy

Is that any different than a hypothetical: "Y% of your roster needs to be White" policy?

If so, why?

If you change that email to read "I noticed the Packers hired 11 coaches, and all of them were White. Etc."

Murphy wouldn't have answered it, and if forced he would have made every excuse in the world to duck it.

Don't the majority of people dislike the Rooney rule?

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Fine, let's adopt a comparison for a rule they did pass.

Every team is required to have at least 3 White players on the Offensive side of the roster.

Racial quotas were shot down by the SC as unconstitutional several years ago during the U of M law school cases. That's likely one of the major reasons you haven't seen it them for minority coaches, etc. Closest the NFL can get are these dumb rules like the Rooney rule and draft pick incentives. 

25 minutes ago, R T said:

I think they get little to no real emails like that and it questionable why it was responded to. 

I think it’s a bit naive to assume they don’t get emails like this, especially considering the ease that the internet allows folks to vomit up something like that and click send. 

It’s probably nowhere near the toxic volume that comments sections draw, but still pretty damn easy for this **** to be sent.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Norm said:

Don't the majority of people dislike the Rooney rule?

Yes, but half of the folks hate it because they “zomg this is racist against white folks” and the other half see it as performative at best since it doesn’t really address the issue at hand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Let me believe it's real man. 

Though it's hilarious if they replied and made public a troll email. I thought the name Marilyn being the used seemed suspect

Should have used the name Karen .. then we would have known for sure that it was a troll. 

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Racial quotas were shot down by the SC as unconstitutional several years ago during the U of M law school cases. That's likely one of the major reasons you haven't seen it them for minority coaches, etc. Closest the NFL can get are these dumb rules like the Rooney rule and draft pick incentives. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33617341/nfl-says-all-teams-add-minority-offensive-coach-expands-rooney-rule-include-women%3fplatform=amp

Uh?

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Should have qualified my post in that the constitutional limitations technically only apply to governmental entities, and federal law (i.e. title vii) is used to apply many of the same principles to the private sector. That being said, I don't think that article rises to the level of the full blown quota issue (at least not yet), depending on the definition of "assistant coach." I think it's just another play off the Rooney rule that has no practical application (I would bet every team already had a minority offensive assistant if not several). Obviously it's all about image with the NFL and right now, over the last 5 years especially, the "cool" thing to do has been to push the "lack of diversity" stuff as much as possible because the media loves to talk about it, while also not giving in to over-the-top activists like Kaepernick. It's all about keeping fans and money and the NFL will swing back and forth on that issue as the tides change. 

17 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Should have used the name Karen .. then we would have known for sure that it was a troll. 

Marilyn is no more real (or imaginary) than Family Ghost or Leader is.
It's simply a person airing a perceived grievance.

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Should have qualified my post in that the constitutional limitations technically only apply to governmental entities, and federal law (i.e. title vii) is used to apply many of the same principles to the private sector. That being said, I don't think that article rises to the level of the full blown quota issue (at least not yet), depending on the definition of "assistant coach." I think it's just another play off the Rooney rule that has no practical application (I would bet every team already had a minority offensive assistant if not several). Obviously it's all about image with the NFL and right now, over the last 5 years especially, the "cool" thing to do has been to push the "lack of diversity" stuff as much as possible because the media loves to talk about it, while also not giving in to over-the-top activists like Kaepernick. It's all about keeping fans and money and the NFL will swing back and forth on that issue as the tides change. 

Perception is a funny thing.

While he was playing, I didnt perceive anything Kaepernick did as "over the top" at all. Rather - it was somewhat singular (at the beginning) and as "silent" a protest or comment as I would think possible.

He knelt for a minute or two during the playing of the national anthem. That was it.

The coverage of it amplified the act and the reasoning behind it - and explanations were necessary - so the public perception (and responses) to it grew - but the act itself.....was about as benign a protest as you could imagine. 

It wasnt until he was out of the league - IMO - that Kaepernick took on a more "activist" role.

1 minute ago, Leader said:

Perception is a funny thing.

While he was playing, I didnt perceive anything Kaepernick did as "over the top" at all. Rather - it was somewhat singular (at the beginning) and as "silent" a protest or comment as I would think possible.

He knelt for a minute or two during the playing of the national anthem. That was it.

The coverage of it amplified the act and the reasoning behind it - and explanations were necessary - so the public perception (and responses) to it grew - but the act itself.....was about as benign a protest as you could imagine. 

It wasnt until he was out of the league - IMO - that Kaepernick took on a more "activist" role.

I'd generally agree.