The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast

Acgott

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

X-Men still holds up fine for me.

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2976c5c1c1bcfe07ca1d
“Do you know what happens to a Toad when it gets struck by lightning?”

you mean to tell me that movie still holds up?

Seems like you are looking at it through some nostalgia goggles here. It’s fun, it was cool to see comics get to the big screen (although Blade already did it) but it is not great movie, it’s barely a good movie. So “decent at best” is probably the right way to describe it. 

And no, the Deadpool’s don’t count. They have a completely different set of X-men than either of the ones you are referring to. Which is just another point against combining the Fox universe with the MCU. If Figie didn’t have a hand in it, it’s unlikely to ever be considered part of the MCU. 

Edited by StLunatic88

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

giphy.gif?cid=4d1e4f2976c5c1c1bcfe07ca1d
“Do you know what happens to a Toad when it gets struck by lightning?”

you mean to tell me that movie still holds up?

Seems like you are looking at it through some nostalgia goggles here. It’s fun, it was cool to see comics get to the big screen (although Blade already did it) but it is not great movie, it’s barely a good movie. So “decent at best” is probably the right way to describe it. 

And no, the Deadpool’s don’t count. They have a completely different set of X-men than either of the ones you are referring to. Which is just another point against combining the Fox universe with the MCU. If Figie didn’t have a hand in it, it’s unlikely to ever be considered part of the MCU. 

That line didn't hold up even then. It's one of the worst lines in any movie ever.

But outside of that one line, I'd say the movie still holds up.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

That line didn't hold up even then. It's one of the worst lines in any movie ever.

Every movie from the late 90s/early 00a has some cheese in it. All things considered, it's not enough cheese to ruin this movie, IMO.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Every movie from the late 90s/early 00a has some cheese in it. All things considered, it's not enough cheese to ruin this movie, IMO.

Only issue I had with X-Men series, I always felt they didn't do Cyclops justice. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Exactly. A poor line is a poor line and that was always terrible, but the movie overall is still enjoyable and well made.

Again, I'm not saying it's a great movie. But it's solid and enjoyable.

14 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

So The Godfather trilogy is mostly bad then, right? I mean the most recent one wasn't very good.

Are you being puposely obtuse?

I never said the XMen franchise is bad as a whole.  Not once.  

This isnt about the overall quality of the franchise.   This is about whether its a good idea to import the existing Fox XMen franchise into the MCU, or start over from scratch.

Im just asking for one good reason for keeping the existing franchise going when its clear the XMen franchise is in need of a reboot, even if Disney HADN'T acquired Fox.

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Are you being puposely obtuse?

I never said the XMen franchise is bad as a whole.  Not once. 

This whole conversation started because he said the franchise was mostly bad. I questioned that and you decided to come in, quote me, and change the topic I guess.

The whole time all I wanted was clarification about that point. You butted in and tried to make it about something else.

53 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

So which one is not a great movie, but solid and enjoyable; The Godfather or The Godfather pt II??

What? Youre mixing up my points here, man.

I wanted clarification on Deadpulse saying the X-Men franchise was mostly bad. FourThreeMafia came in and said the most recent ones weren't good, so I took that as his point as to why the X-Men franchise was mostly bad. I brought up The Godfather trilogy as a counterpoint to why the whole franchise shouldn't be considered bad just because the most recent one(s) weren't good.

I never once came close to saying either The Godfather or The Godfather Part II were only solid and enjoyable.

6 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

So which one is not a great movie, but solid and enjoyable; The Godfather or The Godfather pt II??

They both suck. I've never been so bored with a movie that was so highly respected. I felt zero emotions watching the first three movies and it took like 6-7 sittings to get through all three. Well acted, but I didn't get into the plot or the characters whatsoever.

6 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

This whole conversation started because he said the franchise was mostly bad. I questioned that and you decided to come in, quote me, and change the topic I guess.

The whole time all I wanted was clarification about that point. You butted in and tried to make it about something else.

I love how defensive youre getting in a discussion about comic book movies.  xD

My response to you was regarding the quality, but the discussion about the continuity of the existing franchise in the MCU was taking place before I got here.  I simply added upon it when I said the timeline was jacked up and the most recent movies were terrible....to which you responded by bringing up movies made 10+ years ago in regards to the current quality of the franchise.   

5 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

I never once came close to saying either The Godfather or The Godfather Part II were only solid and enjoyable.

What you said was, that 8/12 of the X-Men films were good to great, that’s two thirds of the films. You were clearly counting the original X-Men among the pluses of the franchise. 

You then just said “Im not saying it’s a great movie, but it’s solid and enjoyable”. You also compared this all to The Godfather franchise, a comparison that really makes no sense, but by your calculations, only 2/3 are worth holding in any regard, and the most recent was clearly the one you were calling bad to make your point. 

So in order to highlight your nonsense comparison, I took the description of what you are calling atleast a “good movie” if not great, that falls into the 8/12 you are touting, and want to then know which of those Godfather installments you consider “not great, but solid and enjoyable” . . .

2 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I love how defensive youre getting in a discussion about comic book movies.  xD

My response to you was regarding the quality, but the discussion about the continuity of the existing franchise in the MCU was taking place before I got here.  I simply added upon it when I said the timeline was jacked up and the most recent movies were terrible....to which you responded by bringing up movies made 10+ years ago in regards to the current quality of the franchise.   

When did I bring up the current quality of the franchise? I was always talking about the franchise as a whole.

The whole thing was about the franchise in total. I was never part of any continuity discussion and simply wanted to know why Deadpulse thought the franchise as a whole was mostly bad. Like I said, you butted in and tried to change what I was asking. Deadpulse responded and clarified, so I'm done talking to you about it.

2 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

What you said was, that 8/12 of the X-Men films were good to great, that’s two thirds of the films. You were clearly counting the original X-Men among the pluses of the franchise.

You then just said “Im not saying it’s a great movie, but it’s solid and enjoyable”. You also compared this all to The Godfather franchise, a comparison that really makes no sense, but by your calculations, only 2/3 are worth holding in any regard, and the most recent was clearly the one you were calling bad to make your point. 

So in order to highlight your nonsense comparison, I took the description of what you are calling atleast a “good movie” if not great, that falls into the 8/12 you are touting, and want to then know which of those Godfather installments you consider “not great, but solid and enjoyable” . . .

Yeah, and I still count X-Men as a plus. Think of "solid and enjoyable" as being interchangeable with "good".

Why doesn't it make sense? Read it from the other side of the "equation" then. I was saying if 1/3 of the franchise is bad, then the whole franchise shouldn't be considered bad because otherwise The Godfather trilogy should be considered bad since the most recent one (and the point was made that more recent should carry more weight than overall) was bad.

I love The Godfather and The Godfather Part II. Since you clearly didn't like that comparison, then how about Sam Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy.

• Acgott changed the title to The Marvel Cinematic Universe- Silver Surfer cast