2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

I’m not sure the wonderlic sways any GMs opinion one way or the other no matter how bad/good. Vince Young I believe has like an 8. He went I think 3rd overall. With all the interviews and blackboard sessions, pretty sure GMs don’t need math equations to know if a kid has any football smarts.

3 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I’m not sure the wonderlic sways any GMs opinion one way or the other no matter how bad/good. Vince Young I believe has like an 8. He went I think 3rd overall. With all the interviews and blackboard sessions, pretty sure GMs don’t need math equations to know if a kid has any football smarts.

Huh?

They missed completely on Vince Young.

52 minutes ago, bruceb said:

So from among them, who would you choose?

Well Darnold is Eli and Rosen is Rivers as far as highest rated prospects. Mayfield would be Roethlisberger and Losman would be Allen. It just proves that the favorite isn't always the best.

1 minute ago, Thomas5737 said:

Well Darnold is Eli and Rosen is Rivers as far as highest rated prospects. Mayfield would be Roethlisberger and Losman would be Allen. It just proves that the favorite isn't always the best.

Huh?

Rosen is Eli, Darnold is Big Ben, Mayfield is Rivers and I do not know who the hell Losman is and I do not care because Allen is unthinkable.

2 minutes ago, bruceb said:

Huh?

Rosen is Eli, Darnold is Big Ben, Mayfield is Rivers and I do not know who the hell Losman is and I do not care because Allen is unthinkable.

He's talking about the consensus media ratings on the guys in order, rather than trait based comps. The "consensus" order that year was Eli, Rivers, Rofls, Losman. This year (outside of the ESPN idiots who have to make Kiper not look senile) is roughly Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, Allen.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

Yes, I agree. Him going 3rd in the draft showed they didn’t care about his wonderlic score though. 

True, but it's become a cautionary tale in ignoring low Wonderlic scores. Every other prospective GM learned from their mistake. Much like Manziel is a cautionary tale in ignoring character red flags, which may completely slow the roll on Mayfield. I may not think he's in the same ballpark, but Haslam will not stand to be embarrassed a second time. 

6 hours ago, Bernie's Curls said:

True, but it's become a cautionary tale in ignoring low Wonderlic scores. 

This should be the takeaway if you’re a reasonably intelligent person running a franchise.

They don’t have to score 40+, but I don’t want an idiot.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

This should be the takeaway if you’re a reasonably intelligent person running a franchise.

They don’t have to score 40+, but I don’t want an idiot.

true but I would want to see how they do in interviews and/or answer questions on a whiteboard in front of coaches, from there, see if the wonder score matches up. If they suck in that part and have a low score, then you know they dont have the football IQ

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

true but I would want to see how they do in interviews and/or answer questions on a whiteboard in front of coaches, from there, see if the wonder score matches up. If they suck in that part and have a low score, then you know they dont have the football IQ

Pretty much this. If the dude seems like a dunce and his wonderlic is bad, that's a red flag. If he's brilliant talking football and can't answer "If 3 bakers can bake 12 pies in 6 minutes, how many bakers are needed to make 36 pies in blah blah blah......", I don't care. Draft the kid that eats football for breakfast.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Pretty much this. If the dude seems like a dunce and his wonderlic is bad, that's a red flag. If he's brilliant talking football and can't answer "If 3 bakers can bake 12 pies in 6 minutes, how many bakers are needed to make 36 pies in blah blah blah......", I don't care. Draft the kid that eats football for breakfast.

I disagree, I don't want to draft a guy who eats a football for breakfast.

Archived