2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

21 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Josh Rosen has just made it clear he has no interest in playing for the Browns.

We're about to get bent over.

Or the browns hire the right coaching staff. What QB would want to play with Hue the way he handled Kizer, the way he has thrown players under the bus, and the crap offense he uses.

i can’t remember where I saw it but it was said somewhere that Rosen should be the pick. New coaching staff should hire Mora as a advisor coching role and hire Jedd Fisch as the Browns OC. That would change Rosen’s opinion about the franchise

Well thanks a lot jimmy and Hue. This is what you get. Rosen’s the best pure pocket passer in this draft. He’s the only QB I’d feel fine with going into week 1 starting. We’re screwed if Darnold decides to stay. It would be btwn Allen and Mayfield then. And at this point Allen would need to blow me away. And he needs atleast a year to sit. Much like Kizer. But we saw how that worked out. Plus you’d have to questions kizers mentality after going 0-16 heading into next year. 

The only way we’d have to convince Rosen is if we bring manning and another competent former HC to be our ambassadors

5 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Well thanks a lot jimmy and Hue. This is what you get. Rosen’s the best pure pocket passer in this draft. He’s the only QB I’d feel fine with going into week 1 starting. We’re screwed if Darnold decides to stay. It would be btwn Allen and Mayfield then. And at this point Allen would need to blow me away. And he needs atleast a year to sit. Much like Kizer. But we saw how that worked out. Plus you’d have to questions kizers mentality after going 0-16 heading into next year. 

Would Rosen saying he would rather play for the Giants take him off the board completely for you?

If Darnold doesn't come out, I almost think we have to take Rosen and show him why its not a QB death sentence by putting pieces around him.

2 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

Would Rosen saying he would rather play for the Giants take him off the board completely for you?

If Darnold doesn't come out, I almost think we have to take Rosen and show him why its not a QB death sentence by putting pieces around him.

I can picture the grimacing look on his face when walks up to get the jersey. I don’t think he’ll be happy and it’ll be a huge distraction for most of the season. The only way I see it working out is if we establish a group of ppl who are both highly regarded and highly decorated in the nfl to convince him. Something along the lines of Manning,Dorsey,Arians possible bring in Mora as a consultant. Maybe even bring in Ron wolf to be assistant GM/Consultant. Whatever it would be it would need to be drastic. Rosen’s not wrong right now this isn’t the best place to be a QB. We’re a very unstable organization and have been for awhile. But one caveat of that is if Rosen comes in and is forced to play right away even if he wins 2-4 games he’s a savior and a parade will be thrown in his name along with the highest contract given to a QB in modern and future eras

Back with the nonquality long posts....couldn't resist lol.....

This is shaping up to be the sickest tragedy: Browns get the first pick, Darnold doesn't come out, Rosen won't accept us.

One thing that has stuck in my mind is if we keep Hue (which 99% guarantee we don't as the entire except for a small minority of Browns fandom has lost absolute faith in him as a HC), is that Hue coached at USC as QB coach & OC, has longstanding relationships w/ people in that community, & Carson Palmer once said "Hue's the best QB coach I've ever had."

Can that matter in getting Darnold to buy in? Is that why Jimmy is keeping Hue? Can Hue get Carson to give give Darnold a call?

OR .... Is it that more recent QBs from that school like Cody Kessler & Coach Helton's contact w/Hue has soured more recent relationships w/ the football community there.

In a Bakersfield news article mid season, Cody said he loves coach Lee & coach Jackson despite not starting this year & that things just didn't work out.  So, is Cody still on board with selling the Browns?

-----------------------

Baker Mayfield is no Russell wilson in terms of athleticism, pocket awareness, ability to avoid the blitz, arm strength, hand size (oh yeah)... but is one hell of football players.

But can you take a guy that runs drunk from the cops and gets tackled and gets wild w/ his drink on being caught yelling expletive at females on cell phone cams in public.

Love his competitive spirit and don't think he's a Manziel type off field concerns in fact he's not even close if reports are true, but there is a lot of immaturity to worry about for the number 1 overall pick.

In terms of play ability and durability, there are concerns w/ Mayfield as his body  is not close to as sturdy as Russell wilson. Russell also played west coast QB at NC State; transferred to Wisconsin and in 3 months became team captain and mastered a prototypical pro style offense. At Wisconsin, Wilson was known as the greatest leader ever.

Mayfield is more of a rah rah leader who's competitive spirit can inspire his teammates, but is not regarding as an apex do everything right leader like Wilson.

At this point, if Darnold returns and Rosen isn't on board....i'm trading down a few spots, getting a haul, and taking the toolsy, traits unicorn Josh Allen w/ a disgusted look on my face and utter disbelief that we lost out on Darnold and Rosen. I'd rather put my chips in on Allen plus a haul of picks to build the team more.

All of this with the per-requisite that we must sign a veteran QB as well.

14 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

If the Giants basically cheat the system again... I despise that team to be honest.

Take Rosen no matter what and force them to give up a boatload if they're going to play dirty.

If our owner didn't run the team like a stoned night shift manager at one of his piss stops the Giants wouldn't be able to leverage us.

Good on them for making our ineptitude work in their favor.

the original Pauline article http://draftanalyst.com/tuesday-draft-notes-110

Uh oh...apparently, while out of pro football due to firing Dorsey told Tony Pauline that Rosen is a "stay away" guy.

Pauline doesn't lie about sources like that.

Therefore, it is literally Darnold or bust (or mayfield for those that believe in him0 as Rosen's agent and family will easily find out Dorsey was behind that comment.

It would be hard to imagine both Dorsey and Rosen walk away from those comments.

Even worse it will be impossible to play the media market so that other teams are convinced that we want Rosen and therefore generate more trade value.

We're already losing the offseason if true.

I'm a OSU grad, but I'm rooting for Darnold to go off against us so that he feels like he accomplished basically all that there is to accomplish in college ball and comes out.

Hope leinart gets in his ear and tells him that it's not best to return...hope people in USC still love Hue...Carson Palmer give the Darnolds a call and put them at ease.

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Back with the nonquality long posts....couldn't resist lol.....

This is shaping up to be the sickest tragedy: Browns get the first pick, Darnold doesn't come out, Rosen won't accept us.

One thing that has stuck in my mind is if we keep Hue (which 99% guarantee we don't as the entire except for a small minority of Browns fandom has lost absolute faith in him as a HC), is that Hue coached at USC as QB coach & OC, has longstanding relationships w/ people in that community, & Carson Palmer once said "Hue's the best QB coach I've ever had."

Can that matter in getting Darnold to buy in? Is that why Jimmy is keeping Hue? Can Hue get Carson to give give Darnold a call?

OR .... Is it that more recent QBs from that school like Cody Kessler & Coach Helton's contact w/Hue has soured more recent relationships w/ the football community there.

In a Bakersfield news article mid season, Cody said he loves coach Lee & coach Jackson despite not starting this year & that things just didn't work out.  So, is Cody still on board with selling the Browns?

-----------------------

Baker Mayfield is no Russell wilson in terms of athleticism, pocket awareness, ability to avoid the blitz, arm strength, hand size (oh yeah)... but is one hell of football players.

But can you take a guy that runs drunk from the cops and gets tackled and gets wild w/ his drink on being caught yelling expletive at females on cell phone cams in public.

Love his competitive spirit and don't think he's a Manziel type off field concerns in fact he's not even close if reports are true, but there is a lot of immaturity to worry about for the number 1 overall pick.

In terms of play ability and durability, there are concerns w/ Mayfield as his body  is not close to as sturdy as Russell wilson. Russell also played west coast QB at NC State; transferred to Wisconsin and in 3 months became team captain and mastered a prototypical pro style offense. At Wisconsin, Wilson was known as the greatest leader ever.

Mayfield is more of a rah rah leader who's competitive spirit can inspire his teammates, but is not regarding as an apex do everything right leader like Wilson.

At this point, if Darnold returns and Rosen isn't on board....i'm trading down a few spots, getting a haul, and taking the toolsy, traits unicorn Josh Allen w/ a disgusted look on my face and utter disbelief that we lost out on Darnold and Rosen. I'd rather put my chips in on Allen plus a haul of picks to build the team more.

All of this with the per-requisite that we must sign a veteran QB as well.

Yadda yadda yadda, you like Allen over Mayfield.

Taking traits over talent.

No concerns at all about fixing a player that is worse than Kizer as a prospect, or taking him a round earlier than we took the toolsy, traits unicorn last year.

Resorting to making up imaginary concerns over Mayfield's leadership and physicality in order to prop up a Hackenberg facsimile.

Oh, how I've missed your taeks. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If our owner didn't run the team like a stoned night shift manager at one of his piss stops the Giants wouldn't be able to leverage us.

Good on them for making our ineptitude work in their favor.

@LETSGOBROWNIES Thanks, LGB.

This is exactly why you can't tear everything down to the studs like we did.

It was a complete fantasy to believe that this years team was going to be anything but a complete failure

Coming off of a 1-15 team the only starters on defense that changed were 3 rookies (Peppers, Coley/Ogunjobi, Garrett) & 1 veteran (Jason Mccourty)...basically depending on 3 rookies and a cast off veteran older CB (who actually played well earlier in the season) to suddenly impact winning in a serious way.

And...Coming off a 1-15 team the only starters on offense that changed (excluding the OLine for now b/c we we've been hot garbage w/ an even better OLine talent wise) were 2 rookies (Njoku & Kizer) and a cast off Veteran WR (the trash can known as Kenny Britt).

As we know strong OLine play doesn't necessary lead to winning, the only difference between the 2016 team and the 2017 team in terms of starters were 6 ROOKIES including (our best 1 of which was injured/out 5 games or more, another/ Njoku the youngest player in the league, another/Peppers playing out of position, and at the most important/difficult position the youngest QB in the league).

So, in order to get from 1-15 to winning the next year we tried to rely on 6 rookies most at key positions along w/ Kenny Britt and Jason Mccourty (again OLine excluded b/c that didn't lead to winning for us in the past alone).

That makes sense in terms of a 4yr plan where said rookies have time to grow and learn, but in a 2yr window it's curtains for anyone involved GMs, Scouts, Coaches, and most importantly....the fans sanity. The crazy thing is...it might end up being the best plan in order to create longterm sustainable winning if all those involved can survive the misery & insanity.

Archived