2018 Draftable QB Discussion

candyman93

Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Josh Rosen or Sam Darnold?

• Josh Rosen
    • Sam Darnold

6 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

I don't mind the idea of a competent vet like Smith in front of Darnold/Rosen. Though I do think we'd be much more patient with the growing pains of those two than we have been with Kizer. I think most of us never felt Kizer was capable or a good prospect in the first place so it felt like we were being patient for nothing. With Darnold or Rosen, there is a consensus that they are very good prospects and us being patient with them would pay dividends.

Perhaps, it's certainly a reasonable take, but I'd rather they not take the chance.

I would want a COMPETENT starter though, Smith, Tyrod, Eli, etc. Adding a guy like that increases the franchise's credibility and viability as a potentially competitive team in 2018. It'd honestly be willing to give up some picks to make it happen as well.

For all of my skepticism about Dorsey, he absolutely nailed the qb position in KC by both bringing in a vet to "win now" as well as bringing in a young, immensely talented kid to learn and develop before he was fired.

I think the order right now for me is Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield.   I would be comfortable taking any one of these guys with the number 1 overall pick.  If Darnold and Rosen stay in school, I think you have to take Mayfield at 1.  Not really liking the idea of a trade down, and getting cute.  You take the guy that you believe is the best option at 1.

It is imperative that we have a competent vet on this team next year too.

I think the only scenario where we don't take a QB at 1, is if we get Cousins.  He is young enough to roll with for several years, and there won't be the threat of a 1 overall pick breathing down his neck.  It would be very tempting to go with this option.  You know what you have in Cousins, and he will cost you a ton of money (definitely gonna overpay)  But behind door number 2, you get a QB in the draft, that may or may not be better.

I was reading a Sam Darnold article from before the season.

"Sam mulled scholarship offers from Duke, Northwestern and Utah, amusing to anybody back home. “I never even went up to Laguna,” he says about a coastal town not even 20 miles north. In fairness, when Franki played volleyball at Rhode Island, Sam did take a cross-country flight to visit her, reporting that the landscape reminded him of the set of a horror movie. “If there were a University of San Clemente,” Franki says, “that’s where he’d have gone.”

A few other quotes too about home comforts being important for him and how much of a homebird he is. He's going to stay at USC, isn't he...

I don't know whether to admire Darnolds/Rosens confidence in themselves being picked as high in next years draft if they decide to stay in school, or call them fools for passing on guaranteed millions being top picks in this years draft.  So many things could go wrong if they return to college (permanent injury, draft stock plummeting, etc...) that I'm at a bit of a loss thinking that they would forgo that just to avoid the Browns.  For Darnold, I can see a bit of a benefit in regards to him going back to school and refining his skills as a QB and possibly cleaning up his mechanics a little more and possibly competing for a National Championship.  For Rosen on the other hand, I just don't see the benefit to staying in school.  He's already missed a year of school due to injury, he's been beat up this year, and would be playing in Chip Kelly's zone read offense which in my opinion doesn't help Rosen in any way shape or form.  The bottom line in my opinion is you gotta have some big ones to pass on being a top pick in the NFL and turn your back on guaranteed millions.  Only time will tell if the decision they make was the right one.

Peace!!!

23 minutes ago, cortes02 said:

I don't know whether to admire Darnolds/Rosens confidence in themselves being picked as high in next years draft if they decide to stay in school, or call them fools for passing on guaranteed millions being top picks in this years draft.  So many things could go wrong if they return to college (permanent injury, draft stock plummeting, etc...) that I'm at a bit of a loss thinking that they would forgo that just to avoid the Browns.  For Darnold, I can see a bit of a benefit in regards to him going back to school and refining his skills as a QB and possibly cleaning up his mechanics a little more and possibly competing for a National Championship.  For Rosen on the other hand, I just don't see the benefit to staying in school.  He's already missed a year of school due to injury, he's been beat up this year, and would be playing in Chip Kelly's zone read offense which in my opinion doesn't help Rosen in any way shape or form.  The bottom line in my opinion is you gotta have some big ones to pass on being a top pick in the NFL and turn your back on guaranteed millions.  Only time will tell if the decision they make was the right one.

Peace!!!

I agree with all of this. I don't think Rosen has any intention of going back to school. I noticed a comment he made in an interview yesterday about how he'd have loved to have one more game for UCLA. It wasn't clearly implied but it certainly came off to me like he was leaving. I think the latest news about him not wanting to play for the Browns is possibly just putting it out there in the hope it creates some leverage for a possible trade. I don't blame him for having other preferences than the Browns but I think if push comes to shove and there are no true alternatives, we'll be able to draft him and he'll play for us.

Darnold worries me because he's my favourite QB but he clearly loves USC and actually seems to be genuine in his introspective nature and possibly recognising that it might be best for him as a person to go back to school. He hasn't hired an agent yet. One thing I do like about Darnold is that I saw an interview where he explicitly brought up the Browns by name and basically said it was ridiculous to hear reports of him avoiding us. That he didn't try to skirt this issue and actually mentioned us by name might be a good thing. Unless he just feels comfortable doing that because he knows he's going back to school anyway.

I get the feeling Darnold won't ever ask for us not to draft him or demand a trade. The issue with him is not declaring at all.

14 minutes ago, brownie man said:

^^^

exactly 

gut tells me both go back though honestly 

Rosen could be the Nick Foles QB for Chip Kelly

Darnold loves USC

we draft Baker ?‍? number 1 overall 

Kelly doesn’t want a Foles tho. Kelly doesn’t want to run the NFL version of his offense. He wants to run the true form of his offense. I think he would want to start building that team for the future. That team isn’t built to really compete next year. Be smart for him to get his hands on his dual threat incoming freshmen and start grooming him. 

Also I don’t know if those guys want to risk being a 1st rounder who stays an extra year and than turns into a 4th rd pick. Darnold could easily be the next Matt Barkley. Same with Rosen if he doesn’t play in a system that doesn’t fully suit him like Kelly’s. I don’t know many of you are a QB for Cleveland and you actually pan out. You could straight hold hem hostage for that 2nd contract cause no way they would let a good young QB walk or sit out with their past. 

1 minute ago, buno67 said:

Kelly doesn’t want a Foles tho. Kelly doesn’t want to run the NFL version of his offense. He wants to run the true form of his offense. I think he would want to start building that team for the future. That team isn’t built to really compete next year. Be smart for him to get his hands on his dual threat incoming freshmen and start grooming him

I think that kid from the elite 11 series on NFL network is still going to UCLA. Dorian Thompson-Robinson. Ideal Chip Kelly style QB.

I see Rosen entering the draft but I think he could be a bit of a risk for creating drama and pulling some hijinks to get a trade. 

It's annoying because Darnold seems to have good character and isn't that type of guy, but he still has the easier avenue of just staying in school where he loves his life.

I'm on board with Baker if we can't get either one. I'd even consider it if Rosen kicks up a fuss and demands a trade. I'd just hold the Giants to a HUGE ransom, bigger than what the Chargers got. And then take Baker with one of the firsts and feel really good about it especially if he's been fired up about playing for us and turning us around.

There are worse situations than turning the #1 overall into Baker Mayfield and a boatload of high picks.

Archived