Grade Your Draft

Daniel

There’s one every year. How did your team do according to you, pick by pick? Air out your grievances here.

Titans Overall: B—The Titans had some great picks, including, in my opinion, the biggest steal in the draft, but making what was already the biggest need even weaker over the course of the draft is hard to ignore. Especially with a lot of draft capital. Still, some very good picks make it a slightly above average draft overall.

18. Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas: B—Great pick, solid value considering how quickly the top receivers went, but hard to give it high marks when it took sacrificing AJ Brown to do it.

35. Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn: C- —McCreary is fine, from a value perspective. He was mocked in this range. But CB is far from this team’s biggest need. McCreary starts as CB4, which, when you need a WR2, a TE1, and a starter at either LG or RT right now, is a huge waste of draft resources.

69. Nicholas Petit-Frere, OT, Ohio St: B- —NPF fits an immediate need at OT, but I have not been impressed by his tape. He’s fine, but better players, like Washington State’s Abraham Lucas, were there. This would have also been more wisely spent on a receiver in such a deep OL class.

86. Malik Willis, QB, Liberty: A+—This is the steal of the entire draft as far as I’m concerned. Willis has elite QB traits, and the Titans won’t be putting him on the field until 2023 because of Tannehill. Best QB in a weak class is absurd value here.

131. Hassan Haskins, RB, Michigan: D- —To get right down to it, this is a stupid pick. Plenty of RBs are still on the board, and many of them aren’t painfully slow Big 10 plodders. This is a role the team could have filled in undrafted free agency.

143. Chigoziem Okonkwo, TE, Maryland: A- —An athletic pass catching receiver is exactly what this offense needs. He’s a little raw, but the upside and fit makes this a great late pick.

169. Kyle Phillips, WR, Notre Dame: B+—They finally draft a WR, and they take a slow slot guy. Phillips is a good pick here, he should find a role in the slot right away, but he’s not making up for the loss of AJ Brown, and the team still needs help at the position.

204. Theo Jackson, S, Tennessee: B+—As a Vols fan, I like the pick. Jackson was a good player for the Vols for a while, and tested well. Should easily make the roster and contribute to special teams right away.

219. Chance Campbell, LB, Ole Miss: B—A LB wasn’t a need, really, but this late in the draft, it’s more about wherever the talent is and special teams. Campbell is another guy who was a good college player with athleticism. Probably special teams with potential for more later.

Packers a B on gut feel.

(Im not informed enough to go pick by pick)

I think they did the right things under the circumstances

I hope the RAS scores are a good indicator of success because all their top picks have excellent scores

Edited by Malfatron
  • Like 1

Jaguars...this is tough....I'm going C.  I understand improving the run defense being in the AFC south, but they did little outside of drafting IOL depth to help Trevor.  Passing on Christian Watson feels like a decision we'll question for a while.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Packers a B on gut feel.

(Im not informed enough to go pick by pick)

I think they did the right things under the circumstances

I hope the RAS scores are a good indicator of success because all their top picks have excellent scores

I loved the Watson pick.  He was my favorite wr prospect in the draft outside of Jameson Williams. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Daniel said:

There’s one every year. How did your team do according to you, pick by pick? Air out your grievances here.

Titans Overall: B—The Titans had some great picks, including, in my opinion, the biggest steal in the draft, but making what was already the biggest need even weaker over the course of the draft is hard to ignore. Especially with a lot of draft capital. Still, some very good picks make it a slightly above average draft overall.

18. Treylon Burks, WR, Arkansas: B—Great pick, solid value considering how quickly the top receivers went, but hard to give it high marks when it took sacrificing AJ Brown to do it.

35. Roger McCreary, CB, Auburn: C- —McCreary is fine, from a value perspective. He was mocked in this range. But CB is far from this team’s biggest need. McCreary starts as CB4, which, when you need a WR2, a TE1, and a starter at either LG or RT right now, is a huge waste of draft resources.

69. Nicholas Petit-Frere, OT, Ohio St: B- —NPF fits an immediate need at OT, but I have not been impressed by his tape. He’s fine, but better players, like Washington State’s Abraham Lucas, were there. This would have also been more wisely spent on a receiver in such a deep OL class.

86. Malik Willis, QB, Liberty: A+—This is the steal of the entire draft as far as I’m concerned. Willis has elite QB traits, and the Titans won’t be putting him on the field until 2023 because of Tannehill. Best QB in a weak class is absurd value here.

131. Hassan Haskins, RB, Michigan: D- —To get right down to it, this is a stupid pick. Plenty of RBs are still on the board, and many of them aren’t painfully slow Big 10 plodders. This is a role the team could have filled in undrafted free agency.

143. Chigoziem Okonkwo, TE, Maryland: A- —An athletic pass catching receiver is exactly what this offense needs. He’s a little raw, but the upside and fit makes this a great late pick.

169. Kyle Phillips, WR, Notre Dame: B+—They finally draft a WR, and they take a slow slot guy. Phillips is a good pick here, he should find a role in the slot right away, but he’s not making up for the loss of AJ Brown, and the team still needs help at the position.

204. Theo Jackson, S, Tennessee: B+—As a Vols fan, I like the pick. Jackson was a good player for the Vols for a while, and tested well. Should easily make the roster and contribute to special teams right away.

219. Chance Campbell, LB, Ole Miss: B—A LB wasn’t a need, really, but this late in the draft, it’s more about wherever the talent is and special teams. Campbell is another guy who was a good college player with athleticism. Probably special teams with potential for more later.

Feel like you have to factor in trading away Brown.  Drops them at least one letter grade for the short-term imo.

Round 1 (No. 16 overall, from Colts through Eagles and Saints) - Jahan Dotson, WR, Penn State: It's hard, because I have to think about this in two ways - 1) that we took him over Olave, Williams, and Hamilton, but 2) we got him with Robinson, Howell, and Turner over Olave, Williams, and Hamilton. Does that work out? Time will tell, but I do feel somewhat better about it then I did Wednesday night. The pick itself is like a C+/B-, but the trade factored in has this as a B.

Round 2 (47, from Colts) - Phidarian Mathis, DT, Alabama: Look, when you create holes on your team that weren't there before because of ineptitude in planning, you create scenarios like this where you reach on someone to fill that hole. Mathis might end up a solid player but he will forever be tied to Payne, Settle, and Ioaniddis. This is a C-. 

Round 3 (98, compensatory, from Saints) - Brian Robinson, Jr., RB, Alabama: I absolutely love this pick. He is going to be a great compliment to Gibson. We needed this type of back. This is a B+ for me. 

Round 4 (113) - Percy Butler, S, Louisiana: I don't know enough about him, but Chris Simms described him as someone who plays like he has three rockets up his butt. That's amazing. He can develop to possibly be a true high safety that we haven't really had. I think there was a better option or two on the table, so I can't go above a C+ here. But it's mostly because I really don't know. 

Round 5 (144, from Jaguars through Panthers) - Sam Howell, QB, North Carolina: Look, this might become nothing at all, but this is one of the steals of the draft. A lot of people had him (myself included) as one of the two best QBs in this draft. I hear the Baker Mayfield comparisons, but if you got Baker in the 5th, you'd be doing okay. A+.

Round 5 (149, from Panthers) - Cole Turner, TE, Nevada - Another very solid pick because he is the good compliment we need to drafting Bates last year. Thomas might not be ready to go to start the season. This was very good value at this point. B+.

Round 7 (230) - Chris Paul, OG, Tulsa - I don't know too much about him. We needed some depth and I like this experience. It's a 7th round flyer, so who knows. C.

Round 7 (240, from Eagles through Colts) - Christian Holmes, CB, Oklahoma State - See Chris Paul. C.

Overall, I thought Washington had a rocky start, then got a really good value pick at the end of Day 2. I thought they had one of the best Day 3's of the draft - in the upper third which can pay huge dividends later. Overall, I would give this draft the same grade I gave Dotson, mostly because it hinges on how he and the trade works out for us. We'll call it a C+.

On  day 2, I would have given the Giants a C for this draft, but after learning more about the players in day 2 and having a good day 3 I feel better about this entire draft and will give it a B+.

Day 1 was awesome, BPA met Need perfectly. The Giants greatest weakness on offense, the offensive line. The greatest weakness on defense lack of a pass rush. We got one of the best if not the best pass rusher in the draft, we got one of the best if not the best tackle in the draft. Overall grade for day 1 A+

Day 2 could have been better.  The negatives is everyone we drafted on day 2 is considered a reach and we should have drafted a starting level CB on this day, I feel in round 2. The Giants could have picked these same player later and made moves to trade up in the draft with their later picks to get these players if they were worried they would not have been there with their later draft picks.  This is where trading  players such as Bradberry, Slayton  and/or our 5th and 6th round picks should have happened.

The positive of day 2 is Wen'dale Robinson should see significant snaps right away and I feel is pretty much our #3 wideout right now, he will get the chance to prove he is worthy of being drafted in the 2nd round, plus if  Kadarius Toney misses significant time again this year, nothing wrong with having a mini version of him on the team to make sure the offense does not skip a beat. 

The Giants drafted a guard that might start day 1 and if not day 1 should be a starter eventually. The offensive line for the first time in recent memory is not going to be a complete embarrassment. Overall Grade for day 2 C+.

Day 3 We had a good day 3,  the Safety and Tight End drafted in the 4th round should be starters for the Giants at some point in the season. For the others they are depth at positions we need, all of them should make the final roster. Overall Grade for day 3 A-.

• Like 1

Round 1 #22: Quay Walker ILB  B: I like the player although I think Devin Lloyd is a better prospect coming out. Athletic and has enough strength, size, and speed to be an outstanding ILB. With more teams using gadget type plays and outside zone concepts having two ILB that can move sideline to sideline can make a big difference. He is also quick and twitchy enough to cover TEs/RBs out of the backfield. It makes the Packers ILB grouping a lot more flexible. I like Barnes but he is just a JAG. 

Round 1 #28: Devonte Wyatt DT A: I'm not sure if it was the off the field issues or what with this guy but he is the best interior rusher in this draft and the fact that he made it to the end of the first round has me scratching my head. Strong, stout and as fast as a LB. I think he should have been at least a top 15 pick so great value here. 

Round 2 #34: Christian Watson WR B-: Christian Watson is a guy who I believe has the ability to not only be the best WR of this draft class but one of the best WRs in football. I initially pegged him as another one of those speed, weight, height prospects that are stiff and poor route runners but his tape paints of a much more complete WR. He is not stiff at all and almost glides around a football field. That said playing against poor competition and the fact that it took two 2nd round picks to get him dropped this grade for me. High risk high reward type of player. 

Round 3 #92: Sean Rhyan OL A: This is your classic Packers mid round OT Pick. Versatility is key with his game and I believe he can fit in at RT, LG, RG, or C. He may not have the build for LT but they are certaintly going to try to plug him there as well. I don't question mid round OL drafted by the Packers. 

Round 4 #132: Romeo Doubs WR B: Solid quality WR that is the true MVS comp. I personally think he is stiff and will probably never be a great route runner at the NFL level but in the 4th your drafting WRs with warts. If he can stretch the field and possibly be a key special teamer that would go a long ways in replacing MVS. 

Round 4 #140: Zach Tom OL A: Another classic Packers mid round OT pick that can play all 5 positions. I don't question mid round OL picks for the Packers and this one maybe moreso then Rhyan melded great value with that skill in the 4th. 

Round 5 #179: Kingsley Enagbare OLB C+:  This is the anti Packers player here. He is IMO a better college player then he will ever be a pass rusher at the NFL level. Good pass rushers are very few and far between by this point in the draft so I can't complain too much. Could be a viable #3 behind Gary & Smith but i'm expecting him to flame out. 

Round 7: Samori Toure WR, Rasheed Walker OT, Tariq Carpenter S, Jonathan Ford NT A: I think the Packers scored in the A just by drafting Toure & Walker. Both of which I wouldn't have blinked being taken in the 4th or 5th round. Tariq Carpenter screams special teams player but not really huge opinions on him or Jonathan Ford who is just a massive massive human being. 

Overall: Solid B to B+ grade. I think they have enough bodies with talent at WR to probably come away with a functioning crew at that position as well as getting some true possible game changers on defense. They improved OL depth considerably while finding a potential #3 pass rusher to pair with Gary & Smith. The only position I think they may need depth at that they didn't get was safety but it isn't really a need till next year most likely. 

Colts (B-) 

The stink of the trade for Carson Wentz is going to haunt this draft class, however the trading of Wentz also has a slight effect on this draft as well 

Rd 1 - sent for Carson Wentz (F) 

R 2 - 53 (had 48, traded for 42 [Wash] and then dealt with 122 for 53, 77 and 192 [Minn]) WR Alec Pierce Cincinnati (B+) fast receiver who pairs well opposite Michael Pittman Jr. Could be an immediate starter depending on if the Colts add any receivers post draft. 

R3 - 73 - (originally had 82, traded for 73 [Wash]) - TE Jelani Woods Virginia (B) Big TE who isn’t going to have to be productive immediately because we have Mo Alie-Cox and Kylen Granson. He should be able to get some snaps to help him get up to speed with the NFL game and adjust his learning curve. 

R3 - 77 - (from GB thru Minn) T Bernhard Raimann Central Michigan (B+) Small armed tackle who many graded as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick and was mocked to the Colts by many. He could compete with Matt Pryor for the LT position but it is Pryor’s job to lose.

R3 - 96 - (from LAR thru Den for #179 and 2023 3rd) S Nick Cross (C) the grade on this pick is lowered by the decision to trade a future 3rd to get back in the 3rd for this player. Ballard said he asked the scouts if this were the 2023 draft what pick would you use on him and the room said a 3rd so that was when they agreed to make the move. McLeod and Willis will start at the safety spots with Blackmon recovering from an Achilles injury. That makes him possibly a third safety early on.

R5 - 159 - (the Colts only original draft pick actually used) DT Eric Johnson Missouri St (C+) I don’t know much about him but I’ve heard he could be a backup 1T behind Grover Stewart repapcing Taylor Stallworth who left for KC this offseason 

R6 - 192 - (from Minn) TE Andrew Ogletree Youngstown St (D-) the learning curve for TEs is already big and for Ogletree he’ll also be at best the #4 TE if he makes the final 53, likely to be PS unless an injury happens.

R6 - 216 - (comp pick) DT Curtis Brooks Cincinnati (C)  smaller DT with pass rush ability who is a raw version of Tyquan Lewis who plays both 5T and 3T 

R7 - 239 - (from Philly/Matt Pryor trade) S/LB/CB Rodney Thomas Yale (C-) played S and LB in college but announced as a CB. Colts have Marvel Tell and I think even Isaiah Rodgers who both played safety in college and converted to CB 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Round 3 #92: Sean Rhyan OL A: This is your classic Packers mid round OT Pick. Versatility is key with his game and I believe he can fit in at RT, LG, RG, or C. He may not have the build for LT but they are certaintly going to try to plug him there as well. I don't question mid round OL drafted by the Packers. 

Round 4 #140: Zach Tom OL A: Another classic Packers mid round OT pick that can play all 5 positions. I don't question mid round OL picks for the Packers and this one maybe moreso then Rhyan melded great value with that skill in the 4th. 

These two picks killed me as a niner fan. Instead of reaching for the RB and WR we took in the 3rd I would have been ecstatic with these two. Great picks, I’ll be following their careers to see how it turns out.

Edited by Fureys49ers

Posted this in the Texans forum. Will add in grades:

- Derek Stingley Jr is a great selection; Sure, Sauce Gardner has the impressive statline against AAC level players, but Stingley did similar things against top level guys such as Jeudy, Waddle, Smith, Jameson, etc. I'm not too worried on his foot, players are heavily evaluated on injuries during the pre-draft process (look at Nakobe Dean and Carson Strong as two examples - if someone has injury concerns, they'll drop). A-

- Kenyon Green was an ever so slight reach at 15 (and I think Zion Johnson went two picks later, so wasn't really a reach considering the next best guy went quickly after that). Sure, I would have Ioved Kyle Hamilton - but the need at OL was specific and Caserio took the right position. B+

- VERY inspired pick with Jalen Pitre. Plays fast and super aggressive, very physical and a contributor on all three levels. RGIII calls him another Kyle Hamilton, I actually think he’s very similar to Tyrann Mathieu. Tremendous pick. A

- John Metchie III was another inspiring pickup; Using the capital gained from the trade down from 13 to 15, the Texans moved up 24 spots and grabbed a technically savvy WR with great route running skills and great hands. Metchie is on track to make it to Training Camp, so I expect him to contribute this season. A-

- Christian Harris fits the mold of a Tampa 2 LB; Undersized but is all over the place, athletic enough to play in coverages effectively and can stop the run as a clean up guy in pursuit. A blue collar LB with some athletic traits is a plus acquisition. B

- Most people I know wanted Isaiah Spiller in the 4th (myself included) but Dameon Pierce is an exciting pickup; He’s hyper aggressive and runs with fury, gets to the next level quickly and runs with bad intentions. Good in pass protection as well as in routes, his inexplicable lack of touches is a benefit; Low mileage is a premium for a violent runner. (His response on why he’s excited to be in Houston - nice houses and beautiful women - also tells me Jack Easterby really didn’t have any sort of influence on this one). B

- Thomas Booker at DT is a good addition to a good rotation; He’s going to figure in early with Roy Lopez, Maliek Collins and Ross Blacklock. There were more exciting players available, bigger needs to fill. But this isn’t BAD for the roster. C

- It wouldn’t be a Texans draft without a TE, and Teagan Quitoriano is most certainly a TE. Brevin Jordan is more an oversized WR, so Quitty here should be in line a bit. Don’t be shocked if the Texans bring in another TE to play while Quitty here gets ready. C

- OL Austin Deculus is a RT or RG at this level, and should probably find himself on the PS to determine which one of the two positions he’ll be going forward. Taking a shot on an athletic edge would have been better, IMO. C

All in all, I have no complaints - Sauce or Stingley was my ideal choice at 3, and I would have been happy either way. An edge rusher is still an outstanding need, but this team wasn’t aiming for an overnight rebuild.

The one thing that was great to see was what Nick Caserio could do with a full compliment of picks - and he didn’t disappoint. He bobbed and weaved through the draft board, addressing issues while finding value wherever he made his picks. If this is what he can do with a full board, the next two drafts are going to be FUN. I’m giving Caserio an A-; There aren’t any real head scratching decisions here and the Texans legitimately found starters who will get in early and often in pretty much each round. They didn’t panic on their lack of a franchise QB, they didn’t draft a player with a plan to play them out of position, they had additional opportunities to trade down at various points - but opted to stay put and get their guy.

Not a bad start for Y1 of a rebuild.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Round 5 #179: Kingsley Enagbare OLB C+:  This is the anti Packers player here. He is IMO a better college player then he will ever be a pass rusher at the NFL level. Good pass rushers are very few and far between by this point in the draft so I can't complain too much. Could be a viable #3 behind Gary & Smith but i'm expecting him to flame out. 

I'm not so sure. He isn't quite as big, but he's a lot like Big Z coming out. He wins with power and hands. He also has really long arms. Big Z had a sub-4.00 RAS.

36 minutes ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Colts (B-) 

The stink of the trade for Carson Wentz is going to haunt this draft class, however the trading of Wentz also has a slight effect on this draft as well 

Rd 1 - sent for Carson Wentz (F) 

R 2 - 42 (had 48, traded for 42 [Wash] and then dealt with 122 for 53, 77 and 192 [Minn]) WR Alec Pierce Cincinnati (B+) fast receiver who pairs well opposite Michael Pittman Jr. Could be an immediate starter depending on if the Colts add any receivers post draft. 

R3 - 73 - (originally had 82, traded for 73 [Wash]) - TE Jelani Woods Virginia (B) Big TE who isn’t going to have to be productive immediately because we have Mo Alie-Cox and Kylen Granson. He should be able to get some snaps to help him get up to speed with the NFL game and adjust his learning curve. 

R3 - 77 - (from GB thru Minn) T Bernhard Raimann Central Michigan (B+) Small armed tackle who many graded as a late 1st/early 2nd round pick and was mocked to the Colts by many. He could compete with Matt Pryor for the LT position but it is Pryor’s job to lose.

R3 - 96 - (from LAR thru Den for #179 and 2023 3rd) S Nick Cross (C) the grade on this pick is lowered by the decision to trade a future 3rd to get back in the 3rd for this player. Ballard said he asked the scouts if this were the 2023 draft what pick would you use on him and the room said a 3rd so that was when they agreed to make the move. McLeod and Willis will start at the safety spots with Blackmon recovering from an Achilles injury. That makes him possibly a third safety early on.

R5 - 159 - (the Colts only original draft pick actually used) DT Eric Johnson Missouri St (C+) I don’t know much about him but I’ve heard he could be a backup 1T behind Grover Stewart repapcing Taylor Stallworth who left for KC this offseason 

R6 - 192 - (from Minn) TE Andrew Ogletree Youngstown St (D-) the learning curve for TEs is already big and for Ogletree he’ll also be at best the #4 TE if he makes the final 53, likely to be PS unless an injury happens.

R6 - 216 - (comp pick) DT Curtis Brooks Cincinnati (C)  smaller DT with pass rush ability who is a raw version of Tyquan Lewis who plays both 5T and 3T 

R7 - 239 - (from Philly/Matt Pryor trade) S/LB/CB Rodney Thomas Yale (C-) played S and LB in college but announced as a CB. Colts have Marvel Tell and I think even Isaiah Rodgers who both played safety in college and converted to CB 

I'd give it better than a B-. I love those day 2 picks. I'm a big fan of Pierce and Cross. Raimann was good value. Woods might have been a slight reach for me (not others), but it wasn't as big of a reach as I thought some team would make. The tape didn't match the testing, but he certainly has big upside.