Grade Your Draft

Daniel

1-13 Jordan Davis DT - C (I think we traded up to take a worse DT at 13 overall than the Ravens got in round 3. I think Jordan Davis future as a pass rusher is greatly exaggerated and he's more of a pure run defender)
2-56 Cam Jurgens C/OG - C+/B+ (C= if we drafted him just to stash him on the bench to replace Kelce in a year. B+ if he wins the starting RG job, then slides to C in a year)
3-83 Nakobe Dean - A (I did not think he was a 1st rounder, but round 3? Easily the most impactful LB we have drafted in a decade. Probably going to get constantly banged up over his career tho at his size)
6-??? Kyron Johnson - B  (Honestly forgot who he was because I barely read about him at the Senior Bowl, but in round 6 at least he has a high athletic ceiling and might make a good SAM)
6-??? Grant Calcaterra - C+ (The chance of him not getting another concussion and having to hang em up is probably slim, but if he somehow stays healthy he might be a solid #2 TE)

Not gonna grade the AJ Brown trade as part of our "draft haul". I don't think trading for an existing player during the draft should be viewed any different than trading a player for picks in week 7 of the regular season. It's something separate. I just look at the guys we actually drafted and whether or not I agree with where we took them.

So probably a solid B, but I am an admitted Jordan Davis pessimist until I actually see him pile up sacks in the NFL.

The AJ Brown trade as it's own singular thing get's a B+ that goes up to an A once we get a QB that can actually maximize his talents. I don't think he gives us a #1 WR, because we already have that with DeVonta, but what he does do is upgrade our #2 WR from Quez Watkins to AJ freaking Brown, and upgrades our #3 WR from Jalen Reagor to Quez Watkins. That's a huge upgrade at WR2 and a huge upgrade at WR3.

Edited by Jeezla

Chiefs

This is different. Usually the Chiefs have severely limited draft capital. When they had it, they didn't waste it.

Pick 21 Trent McDuffie CB - Washington 
Pick 30 George Karlaftis EDGE - Purdue
Pick 54 Skyy Moore WR - Western Michigan
Pick 62 Bryan Cook SAF - Cincinnati
Pick 103 Leo Chenal LB - Wisconsin
Pick 135 Joshua Williams CB - Fayetteville State University
Pick 145 Darian Kinnard OL - Kentucky
Pick 243 Jaylen Watson CB - Washington State
Pick 251 Isiah Pacheco RB - Rutgers
Pick 259 Nazeeh Johnson CB Marshall

• According to GM Veach the team had 16-18 players rated as first round talent. Trent McDuffie was one of them. They have not had a cover corner in years, getting by with the likes of, well, Joshua Williams and Jaylon Watson. This was a want more than a need but excellent value. A-
  • Going into the offseason, upgrading the DL was the stated priority. Re-signing Frank Clark was step #1. George Karlaftis is step #2. He starts at LDE from last Thursday night. B
  • Skyy Moore is a perfect scheme fit. He's a natural slot receiver with great catch radius. Slot was Tyreek Hill's base position. B+
  • Bryan Cook is as close to a reach as anyone in the Chiefs' draft. He's a physical safety with only decent coverage skills but excellent leadership qualities. One of the less spoken aspects of Tyrann Mathieu's tenure was his leadership. Cook continues the theme drafting hitters. B
  • Leo Chenal takes the theme to another level. If he gets a square shot, this guy will put you out. He'll play Sam in the base. What makes him really intersting is his suddenness. All the reports describe him as an effective blitzer. In the NFL pass rush could be his claim to fame. B+ with upside
  • Joshua Williams and Jaylen Watson are very much the Chiefs sort of DB. Both are long and athletically gifted but raw. It's a tribute to the depth of the DB class that Watson was even available. They'll play ST and occasionally a spot of use. B
  • Darian Kinnard is a hitter for the offense. If you watch him in interviews, there is a striking resemblance to Tre Smith. This is a bad dude. I am not saying he will take the starting RT job and run with it, like Smith took RG, but it is a possibility. B+
  • Isaiah Pacheco is extreme fast and not at all elusive. I suspect he was drafted as KR and core ST player more than RB. C+
  • Nazeeh Johnson is an anomaly. He isn't big. He isn't a hitter like Karlaftis, Cook, and Chenal. He does not have growth potential, being 25 and sixth year senior. He is fast and can do everything, but excels at nothing for this level. I suspect he was drafted to replace Dorian o'Daniel as the core ST leader. Incomplete

There are no home runs but a lot of solid value at places where the team needed help. The defense got a LOT more physical and probably more aggressive. The core special teams were gutted by free agency. We see a lot of new pieces here. Last year's PS has several more candidates

Overall, I suspect this was one of the top 5 drafts in the league.

Edited by onejayhawk

B+ for not having a 1st/2nd.

3rd Round got an IOL. Seems like a starting C for the next ten years. 

4th Round one of my favorite RB's. Burner speed and powerful, part of the Georgia mold of physicality and speed. Zamir White Aka Zeus. Should be our starter in 2023 when Jacobs/Drake are off the team. 

Run Stopping DT in the 4th... if you are gonna get a run stopping DT, the 4th is the round to do it. 

Rotational Pass Rushing DT in the 5th. 

A solid spot starting/backup OT in the 7th. 

6 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

Chiefs

This is different. Usually the Chiefs have severely limited draft capital. When they had it, they didn't waste it.

Pick 21 Trent McDuffie CB - Washington 
Pick 30 George Karlaftis EDGE - Purdue
Pick 54 Skyy Moore WR - Western Michigan
Pick 62 Bryan Cook SAF - Cincinnati
Pick 103 Leo Chenal LB - Wisconsin
Pick 135 Joshua Williams CB - Fayetteville State University
Pick 145 Darian Kinnard OL - Kentucky
Pick 243 Jaylen Watson CB - Washington State
Pick 251 Isiah Pacheco RB - Rutgers
Pick 259 Nazeeh Johnson CB Marshall

• According to GM Veach the team had 16-18 players rated as first round talent. Trent McDuffie was one of them. They have not had a cover corner in years, getting by with the likes of, well, Joshua Williams and Jaylon Watson. This was a want more than a need but excellent value. A-
  • Going into the offseason, upgrading the DL was the stated priority. Re-signing Frank Clark was step #1. George Karlaftis is step #2. He starts at LDE from last Thursday night. B
  • Skyy Moore is a perfect scheme fit. He's a natural slot receiver with great catch radius. Slot was Tyreek Hill's base position. B+
  • Bryan Cook is as close to a reach as anyone in the Chiefs' draft. He's a physical safety with only decent coverage skills but excellent leadership qualities. One of the less spoken aspects of Tyrann Mathieu's tenure was his leadership. Cook continues the theme drafting hitters. B
  • Leo Chenal takes the theme to another level. If he gets a square shot, this guy will put you out. He'll play Sam in the base. What makes him really intersting is his suddenness. All the reports describe him as an effective blitzer. In the NFL pass rush could be his claim to fame. B+ with upside
  • Joshua Williams and Jaylen Watson are very much the Chiefs sort of DB. Both are long and athletically gifted but raw. It's a tribute to the depth of the DB class that Watson was even available. They'll play ST and occasionally a spot of use. B
  • Darian Kinnard is a hitter for the offense. If you watch him in interviews, there is a striking resemblance to Tre Smith. This is a bad dude. I am not saying he will take the starting RT job and run with it, like Smith took RG, but it is a possibility. B+
  • Isaiah Pacheco is extreme fast and not at all elusive. I suspect he was drafted as KR and core ST player more than RB. C+
  • Nazeeh Johnson is an anomaly. He isn't big. He isn't a hitter like Karlaftis, Cook, and Chenal. He does not have growth potential, being 25 and sixth year senior. He can do everything, but excels at nothing at this level. I suspect he was drafted to replace Dorian o'Daniel as the core ST leader. Incomplete

There are no home runs but a lot of solid value at places where the team needed help. The defense got a LOT more physical and probably more aggressive. The core special teams were gutted by free agency. We see a lot of new pieces here. Last year's PS has several more candidates

Overall, I suspect this was one of the top 5 drafts in the league.

That’s a great draft 

adding to my “winners” list 

I don’t like doing grades but here’s my little breakdown for the Titans draft class

Treylon Burks-Given the AJ Brown trade, getting the prospect who’s most similar to him is a decent consolation prize. Slightly raw but the talent and potential is through the roof.

Roger McCreary-With Janoris Jenkins being released and Caleb Farley health, CB was a sneaky need for the team. There’s also the old motto of you can never have enough CBS. McCreary is a tough, fiesty albeit a bit undersized CB. Fits the Titans CB model to a t. Still can’t help but think we could’ve double up at WR with a guy like Skyy Moore

Nicholas Petit-Frere-Honestly kinda just “meh” on this pick. Don’t hate it or love it. Kinda indifferent at the moment 

Malik Willis-If we took Willis at 26, I wouldn’t have had a problem with him. To get him sixty picks later at 86 is insane value. He has the highest potential of any QB in this class and the Titans needed to aim high at QB imo. With Tannehill, he won’t need to start immediately, which makes this all the more better. Just a slam dunk pick 

Hassan Haskins-Similar to the McCreary pick. RB2 was a need after losing D’Onta Foreman and Haskins should fit right into that role. I question picking a RB2 in the 4th instead of WR but I’m a fan of the player and his fit. 

Chigoziem Okonkwo-Want to talk about a perfect fit. Between Delanie Walker and Jonnu Smith, the Titans have had great success with athletic, undersized tight ends. Okonkwo is almost a mirror image to both. 

Kyle Phillips-One of the things this team was missing last year was a quick, dependable slot guy. They hoped Chester Rogers was that guy but it didn’t work out. In steps Kyle Philips. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he has a bigger role than many think his rookie year. He’s also a pretty good returner which is something this team has been missing for years. 

Theo Jackson-Should have a decent role in special teams and could develop down the line as a nice role player in our secondary. Think Dane Cruikshank. 

Chance Campbell-If there’s one thing the Titans and Vrabel love, it’s their special teamers. Campbell seems to fit that bill as a potential core special teamer 

Overall-It’s clear to me what the vision was for this team. Begin building for the future, while also trying to chase that 2019 magic. Compare the prospect to guys from that team and you begin to see the vision. Burks=AJ Brown, McCreary=Malcolm Butler, Okonkwo=Delanie/Jonnu, Phillips=Adam Humphries, Jackson=Dane Cruikshank, Campbell=Will Compton/Darren Bates. Even a guy like Haskins you can see them viewing as Demarco Murray like.

They say you can’t grade/judge drafts until three years down the line and that’s most definitely the case with this draft class. This draft could determine how the post Henry/Tannehill era of the Titans go and determine the potential future of Jon Robinson. Hit on Willis, Burks and NPF and you got your QB, WR1 and LT spot set. He’d be teflon in Nashville and would look like a genius for the AJ trade. Don’t and oh buddy, it could get ugly.

Edited by TitanSlim

The players drafted weren’t bad, Cine and Booth should be immediate contributors and honestly if Booth was picked late first I’d have been okay with that too, so good value picks here and really the secondary was the area the Vikes needed to come away with day one starters and they got two by pick 34. So kudos here for recognizing a need and adding some solid players. Would a Kyle Hamilton or McDuffie been a better pick if they stayed put In round one is up for debate. Thought Mn needed more high end talent going into this draft than bodies.  

Thought that Ingram and Asamoah were questionable picks with equal talent at other positions of need available (DL, Edge, Receiver). Don’t like Ingram but Asamoah could be something if they move in from Kendricks or Hicks next year.

But what prevents me from giving the Vikes a passing grade is that awful trade down. To practically give a fringe top 10 pick away to a division rival for peanuts is unacceptable. And to give them a top WR when your secondary is garbage is beyond strange. I don’t care if your analytics department says two players at 32 and 34 are better than one at 12 (don’t forget MN had to throw in 46 to make it happen). To not get a future first round pick while moving down 20 spots in round one has to be seen as a compete failure. But the current regime will spin it as analytics.

3 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

Would a Kyle Hamilton or McDuffie been a better pick if they stayed put In round one is up for debate. Thought Mn needed more high end talent going into this draft than bodies.  

I mean I guess you never really know how prospects will turn out in the NFL but at least with Hamilton I see him excelling more as a strong safety/hybrid do everything style of role more so then Cine who looks to be a more natural FS. It sounds like the Vikings were more interested in nailing a FS style prospect anyways. 

That said McDuffie as a prospect is way better then Booth right now. 

Bills:

Round 1: CB Kaiir Elam  A
Fits an immediate need and gives the Bills some size and press man abilities they have needed.

Round 2: RB James Cook B+
The Bills have wanted this type of RB for a while (Yeldon, Brieda, tried to sign McKissic). Trading back twice and still getting him was great. Already works out with Singletary

Round 3: LB Terrel Bernard C
Seemed like a reach and maybe a bit of a tweener? I think he see's a lot of special teams which for the end of Day 2 pick isn't worst case scenario

Round 5: WR Khalil Shakir A
I think the value, the need and scheme fit all matched up so perfect with this pick. Beane admitted if he had a 4th round pick he'd had taken Shakir there.

Round 6: P Matt Araiza A+
Bills had few needs. But a Punter was definitely one of them. The fact they got the "Punt God" in round 6 after two had already gone seemed unrealistic just a week ago. McDermott loves the left footed guys and his leg is perfect for late games in Buffalo.

Round 6: CB Christian Bernard C+
Nothing wrong with this pick. Tall toolsy small school guy makes a lot of sense this late. Don't see a path onto the roster though baring injury so he gets a slightly lower grade

Round 6: OT Luke Tenuta C
Probably my least favorite pick. Can't see him making it as a tackle in the NFL and he's likely too tall for Guard. Maybe Kromer see's something in him though.

Round 7: LB Baylon Spector B-
Definitely looks like a LB and seems like a guy McDermott will love. I can see him unseating either Tyler Matakevich or Andre Smith for a special teams role. 

Don't know if my average grade would make sense but for me, the class as a whole is a B+. Nothing was too flashy but they filled 3 major holes (CB2, RB, P) without reaching. Shakir could be a steal. If they get anything else from the last 3 picks that's gravy. 

20 hours ago, ET80 said:

Posted this in the Texans forum. Will add in grades:

- Derek Stingley Jr is a great selection; Sure, Sauce Gardner has the impressive statline against AAC level players, but Stingley did similar things against top level guys such as Jeudy, Waddle, Smith, Jameson, etc. I'm not too worried on his foot, players are heavily evaluated on injuries during the pre-draft process (look at Nakobe Dean and Carson Strong as two examples - if someone has injury concerns, they'll drop). A-

- Kenyon Green was an ever so slight reach at 15 (and I think Zion Johnson went two picks later, so wasn't really a reach considering the next best guy went quickly after that). Sure, I would have Ioved Kyle Hamilton - but the need at OL was specific and Caserio took the right position. B+

- VERY inspired pick with Jalen Pitre. Plays fast and super aggressive, very physical and a contributor on all three levels. RGIII calls him another Kyle Hamilton, I actually think he’s very similar to Tyrann Mathieu. Tremendous pick. A

- John Metchie III was another inspiring pickup; Using the capital gained from the trade down from 13 to 15, the Texans moved up 24 spots and grabbed a technically savvy WR with great route running skills and great hands. Metchie is on track to make it to Training Camp, so I expect him to contribute this season. A-

- Christian Harris fits the mold of a Tampa 2 LB; Undersized but is all over the place, athletic enough to play in coverages effectively and can stop the run as a clean up guy in pursuit. A blue collar LB with some athletic traits is a plus acquisition. B

- Most people I know wanted Isaiah Spiller in the 4th (myself included) but Dameon Pierce is an exciting pickup; He’s hyper aggressive and runs with fury, gets to the next level quickly and runs with bad intentions. Good in pass protection as well as in routes, his inexplicable lack of touches is a benefit; Low mileage is a premium for a violent runner. (His response on why he’s excited to be in Houston - nice houses and beautiful women - also tells me Jack Easterby really didn’t have any sort of influence on this one). B

- Thomas Booker at DT is a good addition to a good rotation; He’s going to figure in early with Roy Lopez, Maliek Collins and Ross Blacklock. There were more exciting players available, bigger needs to fill. But this isn’t BAD for the roster. C

- It wouldn’t be a Texans draft without a TE, and Teagan Quitoriano is most certainly a TE. Brevin Jordan is more an oversized WR, so Quitty here should be in line a bit. Don’t be shocked if the Texans bring in another TE to play while Quitty here gets ready. C

- OL Austin Deculus is a RT or RG at this level, and should probably find himself on the PS to determine which one of the two positions he’ll be going forward. Taking a shot on an athletic edge would have been better, IMO. C

All in all, I have no complaints - Sauce or Stingley was my ideal choice at 3, and I would have been happy either way. An edge rusher is still an outstanding need, but this team wasn’t aiming for an overnight rebuild.

The one thing that was great to see was what Nick Caserio could do with a full compliment of picks - and he didn’t disappoint. He bobbed and weaved through the draft board, addressing issues while finding value wherever he made his picks. If this is what he can do with a full board, the next two drafts are going to be FUN. I’m giving Caserio an A-; There aren’t any real head scratching decisions here and the Texans legitimately found starters who will get in early and often in pretty much each round. They didn’t panic on their lack of a franchise QB, they didn’t draft a player with a plan to play them out of position, they had additional opportunities to trade down at various points - but opted to stay put and get their guy.

Not a bad start for Y1 of a rebuild.

High et my bet you guys had the best draft 4 years from now

Congratulations it is very rough getting

Rid of your franchise qb but you guys hit a home run.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mtmmike said:

High et my bet you guys had the best draft 4 years from now

Congratulations it is very rough getting

Rid of your franchise qb but you guys hit a home run.

I love to hear it! Thanks bud! 😇

It’s now on the coaches to get these guys to play beyond their collegiate tape, and I think we can expect big things from Stingley, Pitre and Harris - I have high hopes for Green, Metchie and Pierce, but we’ll have to wait and see.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

I love to hear it! Thanks bud! 😇

It’s now on the coaches to get these guys to play beyond their collegiate tape, and I think we can expect big things from Stingley, Pitre and Harris - I have high hopes for Green, Metchie and Pierce, but we’ll have to wait and see.

One of the things not really being discussed is you guys signing Tannehill

Or Mayfield next year at substantial discounts

Then Watson 55 million then having 5 high draft picks times 2 years.

You would then be a threat in the afc for 5 years.

2 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

One of the things not really being discussed is you guys signing Tannehill

Or Mayfield next year at substantial discounts

I think next year is the year the Texans draft a QB - it’s a really good class next year, Young and Stroud are the headliners with some great options with Hendon Hooker, Anthony Richardson alongside potential risers in Spencer Rattler and DJ Uiagalelei - each one of these guys would have went ahead of Kenny Pickett this draft, well ahead at that.

I think the QB drop this draft was partially due to such a solid class next year. Texans should have another high pick next draft along with Cleveland’s 1/3 next draft, so the ammo to move up is there…

I haven't looked at too many classes in depth, but I think the Seahawks and Ravens killed it.  Jets and Giants did well, but they had so much draft capital it was hard not to.  Liked the Jets approach of trading up for everything and just getting as many heavy hitters as possible.  I think they outperformed the Giants.  G Men nailed their first two picks, and I like all the players they got, but I think they took everyone else in their draft just a little early.

Texans did very well too, but I feel they were like the Giants, with Stingley over Sauce and Green a little early.  But I liked almost all the players they took.

Off the top of my head, Ravens, Seahawks, Jets, and Bills are the obvious top ones to me.  Maybe Falcons too. 49ers, Dolphins, Pats, Rams, and Cards are looking like the bottom end.